All reviewsturret roomoliver davis roomother guestscornbreadconvenient walking distancewonderful hostsb bscharming victoriana separate sitting roomsmaller roomlistening to the birdsfront porchhistoric districthouse is beautifuleach morningquiet neighborhooda lovely stay
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I had a business meeting on a Monday and decided to travel out to Asheville on Saturday for some "me" time. I could not have picked a better place. Bill and Emily were so warm and welcoming; the house is beautiful and my bed was amazingly comfortable. (I normally have trouble sleeping in any bed but my own.)

The clawfoot soaking tub in my private adjoining bathroom was the perfect place for relaxing and reading... the fireplace in my room made for such a cozy atmosphere.

The breakfasts were fabulous... healthy, beautiful, and so delicious. I've told all my friends in Durham about A Bed of Roses and I don't imagine I'll be staying anywhere else on my next visit to Asheville. I love how close it is to the great restaurants and cool part of the city.

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone, one of the smaller rooms would be perfect. I stayed in the Wilkinson Room and it was perfect for me.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2012

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We hope to see you here at A Bed of Roses again soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I spent two night at A Bed of Roses. We were there to visist Biltmore, which we really enjoyed. I have been to many bed and breakfasts (we try to stay in them whenever possible)...and even though we had a pleasant experience, it had more to do with the location than the inn. First, the pros...we enjoyed having breakfast with the other residents...most B&B's give you a range of time for breafast, but here everyone eats at 9:00 am...Great morning conversations! We stayed in one of the larger rooms in the inn...it had a sitting room in addition to a bathroom with jaccuzzi...the room was as described...but even though we were on the second floor we could hear the conversations in the room next door...so FYI...noise travels in this inn. The breakfasts were good (especially the coffee)...but it was your typical B&B fare...fruit course, main dish with more fruit. Some of the cons... this is more of a pet peeve than anything else, but in the kitchen there is tea, lemonade, and sodas...but they charge you for the sodas...really? In my honest opinion it would be better not to have them at all than to charge for it...silly that I noticed, but it just seems odd...I've never seen this at another B&B. Also, in the room there is an envelope for a tip for the maid with a letter for "suggestions" on tipping...again...really? This bed and breakfast is in a very residential area (my husband and I loved the area) but it is definitely not within walking distance from downtown (unless you are looking for a good workout rather than a stroll). Again, overall a pleasant experience, but nothing exceptional. We will definitely return, but probably not to a bed of roses.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Genna A
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

I’m sorry to hear that your stay was less than exceptional. We try very hard to exceed our guests’ expectations.
Our inn was built in 1897 and while insulation has been added, like any old house, the rooms are not soundproof. Most guests understand this and moderate the volume of their voices to be considerate. I’m sorry this was not the case with your neighbors.
As to the soda situation, this was a policy that we inherited from the previous owner. I have frankly never been comfortable with it and we will definitely revisit the policy. Thank you for your feedback in that regard.
Our inn is five and a half blocks from downtown Asheville. Most people consider it walking distance and I don’t believe you will find another B&B in Asheville that is closer to downtown. That said, I am the first to advise people to park at the Civic Center and save their feet for exploring town!
I’m most surprised about you comments on our breakfasts being “typical”. Every guest book entry raves about the food, and we put a great deal of effort into our breakfasts. We are truly sorry that you didn’t enjoy our food and our hospitality more.
Bill and Emily McIntosh

Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I planned a nice romantic weekend in Asheville. We chose A Bed of Roses for the location, asthetics, and price. All of our requests were quickly meet, breakfast was enjoyable, and Emily and Bill were most pleasant and inviting. We both had a great weekend together and would recommend this B&B.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Bed of Roses last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it! The breaksfast was amazing and definitely a highlight of our trip! The innkeepers are incredibly friendly and always have baked goods ready. The B & B is also walking distance from downtown Asheville which was nice. Overall, we had a great visit and would definitely return to the Bed of Roses.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was my first time to visit a Bed & Breakfast. From the very beginnings with all the phone calls & questions, Bill & Emily were always very polite, helpful and courteous. Upon arrival, I was not dissappointed ! They greet you when you arrive, show you to your room, and help you get settled in. The room was great, had more space than anticipated, and very clean. It's only a few minutes walk to downtown to the shops & restaurants, in a good area too. Sasha & Nadia their 2 cats even came out to greet us and say hello. This was an AWESOME 1st experience and I will definetly recommend them !!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple