“Wasn't my first choice, but worked out.”

Days Inn Asheville/Tunnel Road & I-40
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wasn't my first choice, but worked out.”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We were satisfied with our stay. The room and bathroom felt very clean and we both slept well and since it was around $100, it was the cheapest still available with decent reviews.The only off thing in the room was the old school tv, it's been awhile since i've seen a non flat screen tv in a hotel. Believe it or not, they still work.
Had breakfast plans, so didn't check out the morning offerings.
Location-wise...not the best, not the worst. It's not too far out from downtown, close to the Highland Brewery.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We are somewhat responsible for chosing such a poor place. We were planning to drive along part of the Blue Ridge trail so chose this place for its proximity to this. It was the most expensive place we stayed and we stayed at some really excellent, fancy joints.

Okay, it was clean and comfortable and thanks to other postings were well warned about the trains (so thanks to advisor RH) but as for the 'excellent continental breakfast' purrlease Charles R, what constitutes excellent in your book.? The breakfast area was tiny and packed when we arrived (it's just off the reception area). The 'Deluxe' breakfast (as described on the Days Inn website) consisted of a choice of cereal, cold, hard-boiled shelled eggs (with a notice on the microwave not to heat them) , cellophane wrapped sausage patties and french toast (which could be heated in the microwave), tiny muffins, watery juice and the usual bread and spreads, coffee and hot water for tea. The best things was the waffle maker which produced excellent waffles but this is hardly deluxe.

We were awoken early by another guest standing out in the corridor speaking loudly on their mobile (cell) phone as obviously they didn't want to disturb whomever they were sharing their room with. Despite my husband going into the corridor in his pyjamas and staring pointedly at her (British for, "I say, this isn't acceptable behaviour.") she carried on regardless.

So the breakfast and lack of consideration on the part of another guest aside, I've rated this as poor because of the cost. Sure, we may have been able to get a better deal by haggling or using various other websites but when you're travelling this isn't always possible. In the end, it felt like we were well and truly ripped off for what we got.

Room Tip: if you don't like trains, don't get a room at the back.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The price was exceptionally reasonable given its proximity to Biltmore Estate another few miles west on I-40 and compared to other comparable hotels in the area during the leaf season. The accommodations were clean, bed comfortable, size of the room larger than average. Two criticisms are the lack of sturdy bed pillows and only one set of towel linens provided for each guest. Most people require more than one set per day. Bring your own pillow, ask for more linens upon check-in and you'll be satisfied with your stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This hotels sits in a triangle at the intersection of two busy highways, with a train track bordering the rear of the building. I moved from a street side room because of the traffic noise, unaware that a major train track was less than 100 feet from the rear of the building. I realized the mistake when the first train rumbled by with horn blaring. This was repeated several times during the night making it impossible for a good night's sleep.
The rooms are so small that you literally cannot walk between the bed and the desk when the desk chair is occupied. Seating includes one straight back chair and one swivel chair at the desk, not much comfort.
The building is new, but the plastic bathroom fixtures and sagging vanity attest to the cheap construction; same applies to the room furnishings.
The breakfast area has 6 very small tables and people were eating standing up the morning of our trip. The food choices are poor and the coffee pot was empty when I went back for a second cup. The food staff consisted of one very elderly lady who was doing all she could but was not able to do the job alone.
I will never stay at this or any other Days Inn.

Room Tip: Front side has street noise; rear side has trains just outside your window.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Right off I40. Surrounded by restaurants. Nice quiet stay, excellent continental breakfast, and near all the sights of Asheville.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Wylie, Texas
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Days Inn because it's close to Warren Wilson College where our son attends. We made the trip for Family Weekend, and not only was the weather fantastic, but the hotel was equally as nice - clean, friendly staff, plenty of breakfast, and close to everything we needed in Asheville. They've followed up with us to make sure our stay was satisfactory; it won't be a difficult decision the next time we're in Asheville to stay at the Tunnel Road Days Inn near the WWC campus again. Thanks :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Vermilion
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here the night before we toured Biltmore Estate. We had an easy check in and the room was clean and comfortable. A microwave and frig in the room and king size bed. They had a wonderful little breakfast area with lots of different choices, something for everyone. In the lobby there was a computer to use to check email, etc. And only about a five minute drive to the BIltmore Estate. It was quiet here and we would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple