“Ashevegas Romance Fades”

The Cantina Historic Biltmore Village
Ranked #63 of 784 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Cantina at Historic Biltmore Village features handmade Fresh Mex and the only tequila bar in Asheville. We're a great choice for dinner with friends, a family gathering, or even a romantic evening with someone special. Our expansive menu offers handmade Southwestern favorites with a twist of Asheville. We use only the freshest ingredients grown locally when available and strive to be conscientious of our extended and immediate environments. We compost the leftovers and aim at being as sustainable as possible. Start things off with tempting appetizers like the Chiles Rellenos and our Ultimate Queso Dip, just to name a few. Cantina favorites include The Biltmore Chicken Quesadilla Best Ever Baja Fish Tacos, and vegetarian options like The AshVeggie Burrito. Have an event coming up? Let the Cantina help feed your guests with on and off site caterings at prices to fit any budget. We have a wide assortment of proven crowd pleasing buffets, and are happy to customize for specific requests. The Cantina is also an active member of our community. If you opt to donate one of your two sides offered with each entrée, The Cantina will donate that portion to a local food charity. The cash equivalent of one donated side can feed up to 6 of our neighbors in need. We at The Cantina are honored to be a part of Asheville and the unique enclave that is Historic Biltmore Village. Whatever brings you in, we hope you enjoy your meal and time spent in our company, and that you return again soon for Asheville's most unique and delicious Fresh Mex and Tequila Bar!
Asheville, North Carolina
“Ashevegas Romance Fades”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Tonight, date night, my husband and I went The Cantina in Biltmore Village, fka Neo Cantina fka La Paz. We had not been since this latest change, and decided to see what was the same, new, or otherwise just plain quirky.

Our server was the best. She was funny and attentive, but not hovering. She was not familiar with the old menu under the now not-so-neo name, but her lack of knowledge about the restaurant's former life was MORE than made up for by her great service and quick wit. Couldn't ask for better.

The food? Well, that was ... ummm ... somewhere between pretty good and not quite great. Here's my only problem.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I come close. I looooved the old Ashevegas Burrito. It was stuffed with crisp-tender zucchini, corn, onions, spinach, goat cheese, and other amazing things. Then...it was topped with three wonderful quesos -one with a smoky hint- that gave it the most distinctive, but not overpowering flavor. It was still on the menu, so I ordered it again.

The Cantina gets an A+ for presentation. This act was Tony worthy. As for quality, the ingredients in the burrito were fresh, my cornbread was yummy, and the charro beans would have made Goldilocks proud.

I have to admit though, that the Ashevegas Burrito has lost something in translation. It just doesn't have that sultry smokiness anymore. It was like eating a George Clooney hamburger. Definitely one of the best looking burgers you've ever eaten - but you know it should be so much more than, well, burger.

I also must comment that the "Skinny Margarita", made with Agave, was too sugary this time. It usually has just the right balance of tart to sweet - a bit of a tease, if I might say. This margarita, while pretty good, was a bit too "in your face."

I wish I could give 3.7 stars, because I remember the old days when the passion burned, and I know it could be better. Ah, but that is the way of relationships, isn't it? Even the good ones lose their sizzle from time to time. Bring back the smoky, cheesy, romance, Cantina! I'll be giving you another try.

• Visited June 2013
Sherrye, Owner at The Cantina Historic Biltmore Village, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
OK- so this is exactly why restaurant reviews are so helpful. I am also partial to the Ashevegas, but had been out of the country for a few weeks, so hadn't had my weekly fix.

Your email immediately prompted me to check on our smoked yellow pepper sauce, one of our most distinctive offerings at The Cantina. You were absolutely correct, just not right !!

When the kitchen staff were questioned- EUREKA ! it was discovered, that no one had ordered more wood chips to smoke the yellow peppers, so the staff had 'opted' to prepare with yellow peppers that had been smoked WITHOUT, the smoke.

Lesson learned..... thanks, see you next time- I owe you an Ashevegas Burrito

Sherrye

Asheville, NC
“Great waiter but who went nuts with the salt?”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went here for an afterwork meal and a glass or two. We had reserved a private room which was ready for us and well laid out in a single large square so all 12 of us could talk to each other. Our waiter was a great guy, full of chat and even made sure that I knew what I was ordering when I ordered chicken mole. Our food arrived promptly and on decent sized plates - only slip was that a meal ordered with corn tortillas came with flour but that was quickly rectified. My iced tea glass was kept filled and, unlike many places where you get a private room, we had no problem at all getting service when we needed it.
My chicken mole was a small half chicken, very tender but the mole sauce, while the right color, tasted of little but salt. Is this becoming the new trend in Mexican restaurants? This is my second over-salted Mexican meal in a month. I'm not being precious - I don't care for salty food but appreciate that food does need some salt - this one completely masked the taste of the mole.
It was an enjoyable hour and a bit with my colleagues but I won't be desperate to go back.
For the record, chicken mole and iced tea cost me $19.99 including the 20% charge for splitting the bills.

• Visited June 2013
Thanks for your comments, we have alerted the kitchen. Come back soon and let us know your thoughts.
Tallahassee, Florida
“Tasty appetizers”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Visited with my grandson and we ordered several appetizers for our meal. The guacamole was fresh and tasty. I really lied the fried plantains and the chili relleno was great. My grandson ordered the stuff avocados and said they were great. Nice fresh tex mex! The server was great but the meal was very slow in coming out.

Visited May 2013
Thanks for joining us....and thanks for the feedback, we are usually a little too speedy, so we will check into your comments. See you next time.
Concord, NC
“Big place, good service and good food.”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Easy to find in Biltmore Village. Plenty to pick from on the menu and the restaurant is authentically appointed. Local brews and Mexican beers on tap. We had the tacos and would get them again.

• Visited May 2013
Gracias !! See you next time.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very good”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Tried for first time last week and thought it was very good! Enjoyed my margarita, salsa was good, steak fajitas were tasty. My partners meal was not as the menu described and the manager brought her a new meal and comped her dinner, which was extremely nice. Didn't love our server but he was adequate. Will definitely go there again!

Visited May 2013
Sherrye, Owner at The Cantina Historic Biltmore Village, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thanks Nancy- see you next time you are in the area.