“great local place with new tastes for all”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of King James Public House - CLOSED

King James Public House
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“great local place with new tastes for all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I coined it "Pub Tapas" ... We had a great evening trying new beers and cocktails. Each course of food was a new experience blended with old favorites. Charcuterie, cheese plate,
Pate, steak frites, chicken confit, and catfish ... We met some new friends and found the whole experience to make for a great evening out. It's a little off the beaten path but locals seemed to love it. We did as well. Take the evening off, relax, and enjoy a great time.

1 Thank Daveandshirley
Zambra85, Owner at King James Public House, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Appreciate the kind words! Always nice to hear!

Burnsville, North Carolina
“Fun little place, with great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I tried this restaurant due to seeing the chef on the local news. Very original menu, fun to try new things. The waitress Jennifer was as sweet as could be. She let me taste some wine first to make sure I liked it. Nice touch. She was attentive but not bothersome at all. My husband had the Chicken Conif and I had the Trout. Both served with cheese augratin potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts and collard greens. Every bite was tasty and flavorful. We really enjoyed our early dinner, not too noisy. We will go back and bring some friends we think would love the place too. Bartender was stopped by table to make sure we were happy too. Good job everyone!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank sherrycat
Thanks for coming in! We'll see you next time!
Asheville, North Carolina
“Casual Elegance, if you will”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I had watched the "development" of something in this building for some time as I traveled on Charlotte St. Finally I read reviews of a new gastropub called King James. It was intriguing. So, when a friend came to visit, we decided to try it. I called ahead to make sure we would be able to have seating and was told our choice of days (Sunday) was no problem.
"Wow! This is NICE" is your first impression when you walk into this renovated old space. Dark wood, lighter brown upholstery, small tables in front windows for street watching, a beautiful bar and Wall piece.
We were welcomed and offered an interior booth (too cold to sit in the window seats that day!) and immediately given large "jars" of cold water and the menus. We ordered scotch. They have a small selection of single malts, despite the owner's supposed love of the "dew." This is something they need to work on. Later I had a traditional Old Fashioned, which was one of the best I have ever had. Our drinks were delivered by the bartender, a nice idea, really.
The Cheese board had a very nice selection with papadam-style bread, but it was totally surpassed by the Pickle Plate, which was awesome!! And it was introduced to us by the sous chef - very impressive. (BTW this is the first place where I have found a Pickle Back available.)
Our entrees were well prepared, but not the same unique quality as the small plates we ordered to start with (we might have been more adventuresome, but were not.)
King James is worth the try; my friend and I will certainly go there again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Stephen_Sesko
Glad you liked our pickle 'offerings'! Hope we see you again...Thanks!
North Central Indiana
“We Stubmbled across a Gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

We were headed to downtown and stumbled across this gem of a restaurant. We were seated at the bar and enjoyed several cocktails and a few of the small plate specials. We really enjoyed their cheese plate as well! My wife loved their pomegranate cosmos! This seems to be a very popular place so be sure to either call ahead or get their early!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank HoosierDady
Austin, TX
“Fairly-new gastropub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

We finally noticed this place going back and forth from Grove Park Inn. Stopped in for dinner and got two seats at bar. We were immediately offered some fries by lady next to me (great to meet you Billye). We ended up talking to several other patrons as well. Really good beer and wine selection. The food (small plates) is fairly adventuresome but really good. I had a great arugula salad and wife had a grilled Caesar. I had tempura pork belly with a Cheerwine sauce, yea, Cheerwine, but it was great. She had the fried pig tail appetizer and the pork tongue small plate. She liked the tail but it did have alot of fat around the inner meat. The atmosphere here was great.

• Visited March 2014