“Amazing food and ambience!”

The Market Place Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Market Place Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 829 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Battery Park
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Asheville, The Market Place Restaurant specializes in handcrafted cuisine from seasonal, local ingredients, many of which come from within a 100 mile radius of Asheville. Bringing you the local harvest since 1979. Serving Dinner from 5:30pm, 7 days a week in our newly renovated restaurant. Brunch from 10:30am - 2:30pm on Saturdays & Sundays. Our classic American lounge serves local brews and handmade cocktails and is open until.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Two friends and I went to the Market Place restaurant on a very hot day in August. It was so pleasantly cool and dark, we felt better just stepping inside. Once our eyes adjusted to the light, we found the decor to be subtle and calming with a few fun surprises, like the amazing floral arrangement in the back dining room and the very colorful artworks on the walls.

Our server was quite serious, but very efficient. We LOVED the food! Two of us split the flat bread sandwich and we each had the white gazpacho. It tasted wonderful on such a hot day. The waiter told us it was made with equal parts white grapes and cucumber and white bread with some olive oil and all put into the food processor together. I can't wait to see if I can reproduce it! We were most satisfied with our choices and will definitely go back next time we are in Asheville.

1  Thank scottieo

Reviewed August 31, 2011

A recent trip to The Market Place turned out to be the highlight of my dining experiences in Asheville. A quaint little tucked away restaurant on Wall Street had the perfect mixture of ambience, food, and service. The menu had a lot of variety. Our table of four each had a different dish...each dish was as delicious and unique as the other. The wait staff was pleasant and efficient. The owner/chef came around to the table and asked if there were any questions about the dishes before selection. He came around again after dinner to check if each meal was satisfactory. You don't see that kind of service anymore! The live music was especially good and a nice touch for the outside seating (not too loud). All in all, this was the best dining experience of my entire trip to Asheville. We highly recommend this place to others.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

This restaurant is located right in the center of Asheville but carefully hidden in a quiet street. Try to sit outside in the little patio. If the weather is cooperating you will have a great evening. Staff is very knowledgeable about what they are serving. I chose fried shrimp and calamari to start and followed with a seafood dish. Everything was prepared with local fresh ingredients, cooked to perfection. They let me try few wines though I was only going to have one glass. I loved the start with a warm slice of their special bread and olive oil. It was the best dinner in Asheville I had in 3 nights. Perfect little patio for a romantic or peaceful dinner.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

I visited this restaurant for dinner and was extremely disappointed. There were very few choices on the menu that I could get so I opted for an appetizer as my entre. It chose something safe and it was actually good. However, one woman ordered chicken which was under cooked and had to be sent back. Overall the restaurant was a disappointment (we had to wait a long time to get our bill and no one knew why). I would probably only visit the Market Place Restaurant again for drinks/appetizers. but if I'm hungry I would definitely go elsewhere.....

market20, Owner at The Market Place Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Dear Rosi931,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at The Market Place. As a lover of food I always recommend my patrons to ask for exactly what is is they want to eat. We are in the hospitality business and aim to please all palates. If you do not see anything that suits your palate, please ask and we will do our best to prepare a dish to your liking. I am, however, happy to hear that you enjoyed your appetizer and hope you may give us another try the next time you are in Asheville. Please let me know if you stop by.

Best,
William Dissen
Chef & Owner

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were in Asheville enjoying its great downtown last Saturday, but running out of steam and needing some lunch,now, and we really didn't want to wander from place to place while our blood sugar dropped further. Nothing fancy, maybe a sandwich. Market Place we right there and had room for us so we went in.
It's a hip-looking restaurant in a high-traffic part of a fashionable tourist town. The art is amazing and fixture were really cool (my son took pictures of the salt and pepper grinders!) That gives me warning bells when all you want is a simple lunch, but needn't have.
Daughter had a ham and cheese panini that was fantastic, son had a caesar salad that he wolfed down and I had a BLT wrap that - I'm not kidding - among the top five BLT's I've ever had. Didn't expect my favorite pedestrian sandwich - a BLT - at a place like Market Place.
And the prices were just fine, sandwiches priced between $7-10; same as I pay for lunch most anywhere. Beautiful place with really good food.