“try the mayfelaide”

Ranked #48 of 792 Restaurants in Asheville
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Serving traditional Louisiana and Southern cuisine in the heart of downtown Asheville for over 13 years. Offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner 5 days a week. Enjoy a made-from-scratch meal in our eclectic, lively dining room, our patio overlooking Pritchard Park, or our seasonal courtyard, one of Asheville's best kept secrets. We also offer beer, wine, and cocktails. And feel free to bring the pooch along!
asheville, nc
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“try the mayfelaide”
Reviewed August 16, 2007

the restaurant has pretty good food and the drinks are delicious. my main complaint is how unreliable they are in their hours.. i recommend calling ahead to see if they are actually open... mayfels is a nice place to go and eat an appetizer (the main dishes are over priced) and have a drink with some friends after work.

1 Thank fernhugger

Asheville, NC
“Greasy, not a good find in the land of great food.”
Reviewed October 5, 2006

I found this food to be mediocre, at best. I thought it was greasy and fatty and not creative at all. In downtown Asheville there are so many choices, this is one to be avoided. One positive thing is the fairly new outdoor spot has nice ambiance, but don't order any food!!

Oh
“great food at Mayfel's!”
Reviewed September 26, 2006

I had a restaurant .com coupon for this place and while their hrs are odd( only open for dinner Thurs-Sat when we went) it was worth the effort. It seems to be "New Orleans inspired " decor and food. They have an outdoor patio which was full when we went, the dining room itself pretty empty.

I had the shrimp po' boy and gumbo...both fantastic..the shrimp was very lightly breaded, really just like a little wispy layer of crunch over the perfectly cooked large and fresh tasting shrimp. Probably the best shrimp i have every had anywhere. The coleslaw/cocktail sauce on the sandwich seemed weird at first but tasted very good. the gumbo was spicy but not "killer" hot and flavorful. Husband got the special of the day, pineapple glazed pork chops and thought they were great...didn't give me as much as a bite so I have to take his word.

The servers were "college kid" aged but friendly and attentive

Our bill was under $50 ( husband got a beer, I got sweet tea, both had coffee and dessert which was also good even though i can't remember what it was!) even before the rest.com coupon. great value for the caliber of food

2 Thank jann1033
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Good Find”
Reviewed February 25, 2006

My husband and I had Saturday morning brunch here in late February. They were not very busy, which was a little concerning. The Tupelo Honey Cafe is a few doors down and had a line waiting outside. This place was quaint and artsy. The tomato bisque soup was good, but the tomatoes were too chunky. (Bisque should be all smooth.) The ambrosia was fresh and tasty, and the mimosas were very generous in size. My husband had a YUMMY potato cake dish covered with gorgonzola cream. We then had beignets, which were a little heavy/dense, but tasty and hot. With a little work, this place can keep up with the likes of Tupelo Honey and Early Girl in the breakfast/brunch arena.

1 Thank anonymous2415