“Great food!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mayfel's
Ranked #48 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Serving traditional Louisiana and Southern cuisine in the heart of downtown Asheville for over 13 years. Offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner 5 days a week. Enjoy a made-from-scratch meal in our eclectic, lively dining room, our patio overlooking Pritchard Park, or our seasonal courtyard, one of Asheville's best kept secrets. We also offer beer, wine, and cocktails. And feel free to bring the pooch along!
raleigh,NC
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Like other reviewers we were on a 90 minute wait list for Tupelo Honey, since Mayfel's is next door we checked with their wait list and found many locals in line and were told it would be 10-15 minute wait. The atmosphere was great, we sat on the front patio and enjoyed a local concert across the street. Service was great and the food was fantastic. I had the shrimp and grits (extremely hot & spicy- which I loved) and my husband had a fish PoBoy and he also loved his meal. The prices were also great. We would go back again on future visits to Asheville.

Atlanta, Georgia
“OMG - This place was great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Ok, so like maybe hundreds of others we ventured downtown to eat at the highly rated restaurant next store. After we got the "two hour wait" from the hostess, we walked next door to Mayfel's. OMG, we were not disappointed. I had the best Shrimp and Grits I have ever had anywhere! And I have eaten Shrimp and Grits all over the southeast. My son got the Lumberjack Burger and in his words, "This is the best burger ever." I never write reviews but this was worth the effort. Awesome food and service! Way to go! BTW< they have great local (NC) beer selections.

La Costa, CA
“Awesome restaurant with great service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We were in Asheville for 2 days and this was our last stop before heading to the airport and back to CA. The menu looked so good ( we were on our way to the place right next door to eat) that we opted to go Mayfels and we are so glad we did. I eat only seafood and the options are superb. The salad dressings are all homemade. I loved the fresh basil ranch and they gave me the recipe!! I was thrilled. I had the 'blue plate' special of catfish and an étouffée style sauce and fresh veggies and the salad....wonderful meal. The server was so sweet and took the time to explain their menu items for us. We sat outside under an awning and enjoyed the local ambiance and a lovely meal. We loved Asheville and can't wait to return, and this was a great place to stop in and eat. I would highly recommend it.

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Wonderful food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

My husband and I ate here after learning there was a 1.5 to 2 hour wait at Tupelo Honey Cafe (next door)...this seems to be there theme of several reviews here.
However I could not have been more happy to stumble into this restaurant.
The staff was polite and speedy. The food was delicious and fresh.
You just can't be local, fresh, and organic ingredients.
Would you like more recommendations of places to eat? Send me a message or check out my blog http://www.mynaturallyfrugalfamily.blogspot.com

Asheville, North Carolina
“New Orleans cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

A downtown restuarant with a good feel. Food is very good and staff is great.

• Visited May 2011