“Fun and tasty, well located”
Review of Mayfel's

Mayfel's
Ranked #47 of 804 Restaurants in Asheville
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Serving traditional Louisiana and Southern cuisine in the heart of downtown Asheville for over 13 years. Offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner 5 days a week. Enjoy a made-from-scratch meal in our eclectic, lively dining room, our patio overlooking Pritchard Park, or our seasonal courtyard, one of Asheville's best kept secrets. We also offer beer, wine, and cocktails. And feel free to bring the pooch along!
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I tried out Mayfel's recently during a trip to visit family near Asheville. We were seated fairly quickly and served at a nice pace. It was fairly late on a Friday night but there were still plenty of people on the streets listening to music and walking around. I ordered a full plate of beignets which are HIGHLY recommended! They were wonderful, just like you'd get in New Orleans. For my entree I chose the classic burger which was good. The burger had a spicy kick to it which I found more distracting than appetizing and it was a bit dry while I usually like my burgers juicy and flavored more by the condiments. Everyone else in my party really enjoyed their meals and I would definitely return but I would probably try the breakfast next time instead. We finished off our meals with a few slices of chocolate chess pie which was nice and rich with flaky crust, just right. For a nice selection of southern homestyle cooking it just can't be beat.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Tried to go to a popular restaurant nearby that had a 25 minute wait, so gave Mayfel's a try. Given that the restaurant had only a few diners, perhaps we should have been warned. The catfish seemed to be more breading than fish, although the asparagus were very yummy. The burger my wife got was just average. She wanted it medium rare, but they would only go to medium well, Given the large number of dining options in Asheville, we won't be going back here.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

A little slow on the service end, but really good food. Ate during lunch on a Sunday. About a 20 minute wait. Avocado burger special was incredible. Prices were average to high for comparable restaurant. Would come again for sure!

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Mayfel's is the overflow parking for the wildly popular Tupelo Honey Cafe, which had an hour and a half wait time at 8:30 on a recent Friday night. Since Mayfel's is a few doors down from Tupelo, and only had a 20 minute wait, we escaped the Drum Circle crowd in Pritchard Park in the rear courtyard at Mayfel's.

Said courtyard and the decor at Mayfel's are their only redeeming qualities, along with the host who would come dancing out into the courtyard to fetch diners awaiting tables. 70s soul music was pumping, the white lights were twinkling in the trees, and the interior was perfectly Asheville with local art on the walls, and church pews as seating. That was where the good ended.

The service was painfully slow at the bar and at the table. Twenty minutes after our food order was taken, our server came by and asked if he had taken our order, because he hadn't taken our menus with him when he did. He returned a moment later with lukewarm over peppered biscuits and gravy for my husband, and the world's chewiest Triple Grilled Cheese for me. Granted, it was on Sourdough bread, but since the menu claims that it is house made, it should have been fresh enough to not have literally made my jaws hurt to chew it. It's a clear case of riding on their neighbor's superior coattails.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

NOTE: I'm not one of those people who just gets on here to complain. I write reviews for all types of experiences when I travel.

We visited this restaurant on July 2, 2011 after our first pick, Tupelo Honey Cafe, had a 90 minute wait for lunch. It was just up the square and looked OK.

We were told there was a 20-30 minute wait, so we walked around for 15 minutes to come back and find our name skipped and multiple other parties of two had been seated. Not a big deal, we were seated immediately.

After sitting outside and waiting for about 10 minutes, the hostess came and inquired as to whether our server had been with us. She had not. The hostess took our drink order. Moments later, our server appeared. After having so much time to look over the menu, we put in our order at that moment.

30 minutes later, after other parties who were seated at the same time as well as after us had already received our food, our server reappears for the second time to apologize for the long wait, saying she "put the order in right after we gave it to her".

As the other parties around us finished their meals and left, our food (a grilled cheese sandwich and a salad) finally appeared just shy of the 45 minute mark. I asked our server, who appeared for the third time to bring our food, what the delay was, and she said the kitchen was "covered up" as she quickly disappeared. I found that hard to believe since we saw a full variety of meals around us. I speculate our server simply forgot to put in our order, and, rather than being honest, tried to cover up her mistake.

The fourth and last time we saw our server, she brought us our check, which we paid with cash so we could quickly leave.

The food was good. Not anything spectacular, but if we had better service, I wouldn't mind visiting this place again. Next time though, I'll take the 90 minute wait at the higher-rated restaurant. Overall, this experience was just disappointing.