“Delicious breakfast-y food, nice spot!”
Review of Mayfel's

Mayfel's
Ranked #49 of 788 Restaurants in Asheville
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Serving traditional Louisiana and Southern cuisine in the heart of downtown Asheville for over 13 years. Offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner 5 days a week. Enjoy a made-from-scratch meal in our eclectic, lively dining room, our patio overlooking Pritchard Park, or our seasonal courtyard, one of Asheville's best kept secrets. We also offer beer, wine, and cocktails. And feel free to bring the pooch along!
Chapel Hill, NC
“Delicious breakfast-y food, nice spot!”
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We ate here for lunch when Tupelo Honey was too packed and were quite pleasantly surprised. The service was attentive, and the food was creative, yummy, and reasonably priced. The eggs benedict were scrumptious, and the shrimp and grits had a nice bite. Very tasty biscuits, my friends reported. Not too pricey, and nice to have lunch right at Pritchard Park without an hour wait. Very satisfied overall.

Boone, North Carolina
“Thanks for nothing.”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Stopped in at Mayfels to get beignets. When we got there, we were told that the cc machine wasn't working so they took cash only (odd, but not a big deal). Telling them that's fine, as long as they had beignets, the waitress said, "of course we have beignets" and sat us.

We ordered coffee and OJ, and when the waitress brought them, she informed us that no, they actually didn't have beignets, and what else would we like? Um, nothing, thanks - that was kind of the whole point. Barely apologizing, she brought us the bill for the coffee and orange juice - $9.85.

$10! We left the cash and got out of there, extremely POd. I won't be back.

• Visited April 2011
Asheville
“I will never eat there again!”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I've always liked Mayfel's but today when I picked up some lunch to go and my bill came to $9.70 and I handed over my Visa credit card I was told that the policy of the restaurant is to now add a $1 convenience fee for any credit card charges under $10 ( was not told this when I called my order in by phone.). I didn't have any cash on me so therefore my final total was $10.70. A) I believe doing this violates the merchant agreement Mayfel's has with Visa. 2) Asheville has so many other good restaurants that don't do this (in fact I've never come upon a restaurant that does before)that it doesn't seem like a very smart business move. And C) the waitress behind the counter who was not at fault loss out on a tip ( I always tip a $1 for to-go orders) because I was so angry.

leland
“A Little Gem”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stopped by for lunch on a Sunday afternoon. The restaurant was very busy. However, the food and the service were top notch. The crabcake sandwich was the best ever, and the hot beignets were scrumptious. Our server knew that we were in a hurry so she refilled our coffees "to go" to help get us back on the road. We would definitely stop by again.

Durham, North Carolina
“Not a big deal.”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Heard some great things about this place so we decided to try it. We ate inside during dinner. Luckily, it was very busy on College St. that day but we didn't have to wait very long. I ordered the Biltmore Burger and my husband had the Classic Burger. My food was pretty average -- even on the bland side. My bun fell apart as soon as I touched the burger so I had to eat it with a fork. It was pretty noisy in the restaurant too and it didn't help we sat right next to the server's stations. I wasn't very comfortable. Only reason I gave 3 stars and not 2 was because my husband loved the sweet potato fries, he said they were the best he's had, but I thought they were just OK. I probably wouldn't come back here again to eat given all the other options around the area. I may go back to have a few drinks on the back patio one day though.