“Great breakfast in Asheville, NC”
Review of Early Girl Eatery

Early Girl Eatery
Ranked #45 of 804 Restaurants in Asheville
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Scratch cooking... great breakfast eatery I visited on my North Carolina excursion. Located on "Wall Street" in Asheville, North Carolina, the entrance to the restaurant has a European street feel to it. Parking requires coins for street meter.

The service was excellent and friendly. We had a party of four and everyone enjoyed their breakfasts (Southern Breakfast special, Pancakes, Biscuits & Gravy, and the Southern Fried Catfish Special).

The cooking seems to be creative as suggested by the daily specials (a.k.a. "3 mushroom omelet" - Portabello, Shiitake and Crimini mushrooms).

Would definitely recommend!

1  Thank calbearsgo

Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband had been to this eatery a number of times and wanted me to try it. I must say I was put off at first by the loooong line out the door, but to their credit the line moved quickly and we were seating at a window table and served beverages straight away. Friendly staff, even though incredibly busy! Simple, country food with modern and vegetarian twists, something for everyone. Very inexpensive. Decor is what I call 40's kitchenette. Love it!

Reviewed April 17, 2007

I have to agree with the last poster - its all about local charm here! Comfortable, relaxed setting, excellent fresh food, and it's open all day to boot! Great restaurant to go to with a veggie/meat eater crowd as there are plenty of options for both :)

Reviewed April 15, 2007

Presentation of the food was simple but quality ingredients made it very delicious. The crab dip had good quantity of lump crabmeat, and my fried grouper and sides were very tasty. Minor drawback was the dry chicken strips my daughter ordered as a kids meal. However, when they accidentally tossed her leftovers instead of boxing it, they insisted on fixing up a fresh batch for us to take with us.

Reviewed October 23, 2006

On our 8-day driving tour of Western North Carolina, we spent an afternoon exploring downtown Asheville, starting with the funky, eclectic shops of Merrimon Avenue. We asked shop staff for a suggestion for dinner, saying we wanted comfortable, casual and good Southern food. They suggested Early Girl Eatery on Wall St.. The location was perfect and allowed us some time on foot to explore the Grove Arcade nearby for more shopping before dinner.
Early Girl eatery appears to be a Southern-organic-vegan bakery-cafe kind of place. Staff was genuine and friendly from the git-go and we landed a table in the dining room overlooking a small park and its collection of street characters (better than watching TV!)
The special was pork barbecue. The server warned us that it was local pork and therefore was fattier than what we might be used to. Having been raised on a farm with pork production, that didn't bother me. Both of us ordered the special because we'd been wanting some good Carolina barbecue.
We were disappointed for two reasons, one, this was not Carolina barbecue and two, the kitchen just doesn't know how to cook pork. It was cubes of pork that weren't fatty at all, it seemed to be from a fresh uncured ham (pork leg), and had not been cooked enough to be tender. (Good Carolina barbecue uses shoulder aka butt) It was cooked enough to be cooked but not enough to be tender, and possibly was cooked too fast. The seasoning was quite good and barbecuish, but the too firm and chewy texture of the meat disappointed. French fries and colesale that came with were excellent. I additionally ordered collard greens and cornbread. Greens were okay; cornbread was excellent.
Early Girl Eatery apparently is known for it bakery, particularly its cakes. So we each ordered cake, one buttermilk yellow layer cake slice with dark chocolate frosting and the other banana layer cake with cream cheese frosting. Cake is tricky and frankly, I don't think that Early Girl has mastered the trick. The buttermilk cake had good flavor but had a heaviness and dry crumb. (Hint to pastry chef: use softer flour, sift twice, add more shortening/oil to the recipe and beat more air into the batter.) Frosting was too thin. Banana cake was better with more moisture and mellow, perfectly spiced flavor.
We loved the restaurant itself and we felt like we have discovered a true Asheville experience. I think that we might have ordered the wrong entree here and would plan to try Early Girl again on a future visit to Asheville.

3  Thank outofthewest