“service is terrible” 2 of 5 bubbles

Heiwa Shokudo
Ranked #322 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
“service is terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Food is unique and tastes OK (didn't like the soup too much), but the service is terrible. How can it take 15 minutes to take an order when there are only 2 other occupied tables in the place???

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No ice, No Change, No Room!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I went here for lunch one day to try it out for the first time and I will never go back. The service was horrible, and the biggest issue for me was the fact that they had no ice! How does a restaurant not have ice? The place was too small for comfort, there was only one server (who was not attentive) and we were forced to share a table with another couple because they had ran out of room to seat their guests. This restaurant was understaffed and out of menu items. The guests that had to share the table with my friend and I, sat down after us, ordered before us, and still had to wait 10 minutes after we got our food! The food was okay, the portions were a good size and the price was affordable, however, when I went to pay, the server would not take my $50 (despite the fact that I had no other method to pay with) because she did not have change. She did not try to offer another way for me to pay, but instead she jumped at the idea that my friend could pay for my meal. How can a restaurant not have change for a 50 dollar bill?! This restaurant was unprepared and sloppy. I would not recommend it.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Tracy C
Asheville, NC
“It's been a long tome ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

It's been a long time since I've been to Heiwa. I always wonder why. The parking is easy ... the food is always good. But when I went this week, I remembered why. The service. It is abyssmal! That said, if you have a lot of time or if it's raining, it's a great place to go. If you don't have
1 1/2 hours, then you'll have to skip it. But if you can go, it's terrific. The Bento Box is a great value at lunch. And if you're a sushi lover, look at the hand-rolls. The trout is locally produced and the salmoe roe is exquisite. Wonderfully warming green tea and sake are available as well as many other healthy drinks (no diet sodas).

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank localfoodluvr
Asheville, NC
“Plenty of veg choices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Innovative and well executed. Most important: delicious.

When I became a vegetarian, I thought I'd be bored by sushi from then on out, condemned to a lifetime of avocado rolls. Tasty but it eventually gets old. Luckily, a vegan friend recommended Heiwa Shokudo. I've tried (and loved) the vegetable tempura, seaweed salads, various rolls.

They do have a roll that I wasn't wild about, although it was exactly as described: tempeh with sweet potato and maple syrup, if I recall. It was just too weird for me. But maybe I just don't like sweet sushi.

Visited August 2012
Suburban Philadelphia
“Just 'OK', nothing out of the ordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I had some sushi here, along with miso soup, and gyoza, and found it to be about what we've come to expect of small, unpretentious Japanese restaurants--good, but not spectacular. As another diner complained, the chopsticks were not the throw-away kind, but seemed to be reusable and, thus, of questionable sanitation. The rolls were tasty but loosely wrapped, so that my wife had trouble eating hers with chopsticks since the rolls kept falling apart. The restaurant itself is on the dark and dingy side (it is Asheville, or so I'm told), and the servers are well-tattoed (again, it is Asheville). I've had better sushi elsewhere, but this was OK. Asheville diners rated it second in the city among sushi restaurants, so maybe they know something I don't about Heiwa Shokudo.

• Visited July 2012