“Great Sushi in North Asheville”
Review of Zen Sushi

Zen Sushi
Ranked #268 of 829 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was so happy to find this place so close to home. I took a to go order home and was very, very pleased. We had beef negimaki, which was an appetizer of sliced beef and green onions rolled up in the shape of a sushi roll with a rich teriyaki sauce. It was tender and delicious.

We also had a Blue Roll - heavenly tempura sea bass with cucumber and avocado. The tempura was so light and perfect that even someone who avoids fried food in general (like myself) can easily consider it still on the healthy side of life. Now add exquisite flavor to the crunch of the the tempura, caviar, and cucumber and the softness of the fish, avocado, and rice and you have a sensational delight.

We shared a sashimi deluxe dinner, which was the typical spread of sashimi: tuna, escolar (aka white tuna), salmon, snapper, yellow tail, and a striped sea bass (I think). All was very good.

I could tell the staff was friendly by the way I was greeted and the atmosphere was bamboo light and casual. We look forward to going for a sit down dinner soon.

1  Thank JesamineM

Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a small restaurant in Merrimon Square in north asheville. It has excellent sushi, good entrees and a nice atmosphere. There is outdoor seating available.

Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Zen sushi was one of Asheville's first sushi spots, and its still probably the best. Its not downtown, so you are generally diming with locals. This is a mountain town, but sushi has always tasty and good. Spider roll is one of our family favorites, along with the Bento boxes, which are a good value and are plenty big enough to share.
Service can be slow sometimes, but this is Asheville, so its slow but friendly. We use for both takeout and dine in.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I love Zen Sushi for the simple fact that I can meet friends and clients here for lunch with ample parking and a wonderful menu. I have a habit of sticking to things I like and honestly can share that I venture further into their roll menu than in other sushi joints.
They know me and have come to expect my moods (will order the old stand bus if gloomy or try something new if happy). I appreciate knowing staff in regular haunts.
The prices are still reasonable as in my mind too many sushi joints are getting uppity regarding pricing these days.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Our first visit to Zen Sushi was not a total success, but it might have been our own fault. I like Japanese cuisine but my wife is not convinced. However, she finally agreed to visit Zen Sushi after having passed it by for years. It is located on the top floor of a two-story strip center along with several other restaurants. First mistake: since the weather was nice, we decided to eat outside on a balcony. We finally decided that the chairs were too low for the tables, but we were already settled in. Second problem: traffic noise from adjacent Merrimon Avenue seems to travel upward so it noisier up there on the balcony. The remedy to problems one and two -- sit inside -- it looked nice. Third problem: I have grown to despise the oh-so-common "How are you guys?" "What would you guys like to drink?" repertoire of servers trying to be your friends. Both our servers were OK, but cut the "you guys" from every sentence! But I digress... The food (sushi and soba noodle soup) was pretty good but not as tasty as what I have experienced from comparable Japanese restaurants in Atlanta. Prices were reasonable.