“Good Pizza, Not-So-Good Atmosphere and Service”

Barley's Taproom & Pizzeria
Ranked #82 of 781 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Italian, American, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Pizza, Not-So-Good Atmosphere and Service”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

It was mid-afternoon on a cold Saturday and all we wanted was a pint of beer and maybe an appetizer. We had walked all around downtown Ashville shopping and needed to sit and have a beer. Nobody greeted us at the door, so we made our way to the bar where we were lucky to find two seats. It took a while for the server to come to us, but we ordered a draft beer and a glass of wine. There is a large selection of beer, but nobody showed us what each was like. I saw later sitting there that you could have a "four mini-glass sampling" of beer, which I would have liked, but nobody suggested it to us. We asked her about appetizer and she got us a menu. We asked for suggestions and she said that anything on the menu was available. We happened to see someone close to us have one slice of pizza and finally attracted her attention and asked if pizza could be ordered by the slice. She said yes. So we each ordered one slice of pizza. It took extraordinarily long for the pizza to come, but it was very good, very tasty. One would think that it would not take so long to get one slice though! The atmosphere was very very loud and it looked like a college kid hangout more than a family or couples place. In fact there was a large group of college kids at the table next to the bar that seemed to even be a bit unruly. There are plenty of places in downtown Ashville to get a beer, I probably won't be going back here.

• Visited January 2014

Richmond, Virginia
“Great Pizza/Huge Beer selection ”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Went here to watch the NFL playoffs, read somewhere it was great for that. That was a lie, only 2 TV's upstairs. Did have 4 pool tables, tons of beer on tap, no liquor, good bar tender. So we stayed for an hour the est to find TVs. Upstairs was nice just not for watching the playoffs. Tried a slice of cheese pizza was very big and good!

Mansfield, Ohio, United States
“Best ny style pizza I've found”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I've been to probably 15 pizza joints since I moved to the area over a year ago n finally found what I've been looking for! Good sauce and cheese and the crust Was awesome, thin and light. This may be my favorite pizza ever from all over the u.s. And I just ordered slices so im sure a whole pizza will be even better/fresher. Hope I don't get fat eating there

• Visited January 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“it was OK”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

i was expecting so much more with the reviews but it was OK. there was 4 of us and we each ordered something different and the consensus was it was just ok - nothing wrong with the food - large portions but just OK .

Visited November 2013
“Fantastic! ”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere, awesome service, perfect food!

My bf brought me here for a Christmas dinner and I had the best pizza I've eaten in my whole life! Totally customizable, you can get anything you want. And although my pizza turned out pretty expensive, you could definitely make it cheaper. Located right in downtown, this little taproom is definitely on my list of places to go back to!