“Strange... Really strange”

Laughing Seed Cafe
Ranked #46 of 818 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: The Laughing Seed Cafe is Asheville's original downtown vegetarian restaurant. We've provided the finest organic, local, and farm-to-table vegetarian cuisine with an international flair for twenty years and counting.
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I am probably 98% vegan and I occasionally eat dead animals and liquid meat when eating out. I was looking forward to eating here for possible recipe ideas that I could make at home. My stomach hurt so bad after eating here that, when I got back to the hotel, I forced myself to vomit to get some relief. So, why 3 stars and not 1? The atmosphere was nice, the food presentation was awesome, and the beer was good. I just didn't like the food.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My friend and I went here for lunch on a Saturday. We were in a bit of a hurry so ordered two appetizers to share. Both were burned to a crisp. Our server never asked how was everything because I'm sure she knew what our answer would be. We didn't have time to send it back so we had to choke it down unfortunately. I visit Asheville once or twice a year but will never return to this place again.

2  Thank Lisa F
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We're not vegetarians but always still enjoy this restaurant. Some of their entrees are unusual but delicious and very satisfying. Good variety on the menu and the portions are large. Nice wine selection also. Highly recommend this restaurant when you're in the mood for something just a little different. And we do love the patio!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ever since I first dined at Laughing Seed Café several years ago, it has been a must in every trip to Asheville (at least once a year). While they have numerous gluten-free options, I always get the same thing -- their hemp see burger -- on a salad instead of bread (although they do have a GF bread option, too). It is the best I've had by far.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

A friend and the owner of the B&B where we stayed both recommended Laughing Bee. Whether you're vegetarian or not, you'll really enjoy the delicious selection of international items. I had the sloppy jo, which was so fun to literally get my hands dirty and enjoy a dish I've been watching others enjoy for so long! We also had the East West quesadilla though it didn't live up to the name as we expected. They also had a great selection of alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks. The service was great and we sat outside on the lovely patio thoroughly enjoying our first meal in Asheville. Listen to the recs!