“good food, terrible service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tupelo Honey Cafe

Tupelo Honey Cafe
Ranked #28 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our Southern dishes and libations are served with a creative twist and a smile, and we serve our guests nothing that we wouldn't want on our own supper table. When we play with our food (and we think it's okay), the result is scrumptious. We're rooted in the Mountain South, and our menu is inspired by time-honored traditions: pickling and frying, canning and preserving, and utilizing seasonal produce and ingredients to prepare delicious, scratch-made creations.
Asheville, North Carolina
“good food, terrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

Haven't eaten there for 2 1/2 years because the food is good but the front service was so rude and unaccomodating that we have chosen not to return. We've never had terrific service here and the last tiem was terrible. Food is good.

• Korean first
Memphis, Tennessee
“Bring your appetite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

If you are visiting Asheville, NC, make the time to eat at Tupelo Honey Cafe. It was a 50 minute wait for a Saturday lunch in November, but well worth the wait. I tried the meatloaf and it was very good. One person in our party ordered the grit cakes which had too much hot sauce on them and were - for me - just ok. Bloody Mary was very good.

Sacramento, CA
“Southern Cooking - The Real Deal....Great Service and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

We were looking for a dining experience with local color and good food. We found it at Tupelo Honey Cafe. I haven't had okra and stewed tomatoes since I was a little girl in the Ozarks. Highly recommend this restaurant and the food is well worth it!

Middlebury, Vermont
“Good food, not so great to warrant the long wait”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

I met some local folks here when I was visiting Asheville from out of state. They picked the restuarant as it is one of their favorites - they are recent college graduates and I am old enough to be their mother.We waited over an hour (after a bit of a hunt for parking on top of that) and then were seated outside - under a heated awning to be sure. I knew the reputation as great southern style food with a twist so wanted to order the most southern sounding thing which turned out to be chicken on biscuits with red eye gravy. I didn't realize we'd be getting biscuits as the bread, too. The first biscuit was tasty, especially with honey and the jam/sauce served in a squeeze bottle. (The bottle kept getting plugged up and I couldn't tell what flavor it was beyond mixed berry until I unscrewed the top and discovered what looked like blueberries inside - why they serve a whole berry jam in a bottle with a narrow slit in the top I don't understand.) Ordering a main dish with more biscuits was overload, however, the chicken and red-eyed gravy part were quite delicious - would have been better with side vegetable I think. The young people all loved the food they ordered (their favorite dishes to be sure) and as the company was good it was overall an enjoyable evening. Still not sure the long wait was worth it though. I might have enjoyed it more if we'd been seated 90 minutes earlier and inside.

Cumming, Georgia
“UNIQUE, AWESOME FOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

This restaurant is quaint and friendly. The food was wonderful, with many unique items on the menu, like goat cheese grits. My husband and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The service was great also and we were able to walk around see the shops after we ate.