“Good food, not so great to warrant the long wait”
Review of Tupelo Honey

Tupelo Honey
Ranked #29 of 800 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Our Southern dishes and libations are served with a creative twist and a smile, and we serve our guests nothing that we wouldn't want on our own supper table. When we play with our food (and we think it's okay), the result is scrumptious. We're rooted in the Mountain South, and our menu is inspired by time-honored traditions: pickling and frying, canning and preserving, and utilizing seasonal produce and ingredients to prepare delicious, scratch-made creations.
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I met some local folks here when I was visiting Asheville from out of state. They picked the restuarant as it is one of their favorites - they are recent college graduates and I am old enough to be their mother.We waited over an hour (after a bit of a hunt for parking on top of that) and then were seated outside - under a heated awning to be sure. I knew the reputation as great southern style food with a twist so wanted to order the most southern sounding thing which turned out to be chicken on biscuits with red eye gravy. I didn't realize we'd be getting biscuits as the bread, too. The first biscuit was tasty, especially with honey and the jam/sauce served in a squeeze bottle. (The bottle kept getting plugged up and I couldn't tell what flavor it was beyond mixed berry until I unscrewed the top and discovered what looked like blueberries inside - why they serve a whole berry jam in a bottle with a narrow slit in the top I don't understand.) Ordering a main dish with more biscuits was overload, however, the chicken and red-eyed gravy part were quite delicious - would have been better with side vegetable I think. The young people all loved the food they ordered (their favorite dishes to be sure) and as the company was good it was overall an enjoyable evening. Still not sure the long wait was worth it though. I might have enjoyed it more if we'd been seated 90 minutes earlier and inside.

There are newer reviews for Tupelo Honey

Reviewed November 8, 2010

This restaurant is quaint and friendly. The food was wonderful, with many unique items on the menu, like goat cheese grits. My husband and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The service was great also and we were able to walk around see the shops after we ate.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

We spent one night and one full day in Asheville. We did our share of eating and this was our best experience. We found the Tupelo Honey Cafe to be terrific in every way. We had a late lunch here. The food was delicious and the service friendly and excellent. The honey and biscuits are really delicious! It will be the first place we return to on our next trip to Asheville. Wish we had come to this restaurant for breakfast, also.

Reviewed November 2, 2010

My wife and I are from Michigan and made a fall driving tour of central and western North Carolina, with the main purpose of sampling North Carolina barbecue restaurants. We had been to several, including 12 Bones, and decided we needed a break from eating barbecue. Upon review recommendation, we tried Tupelo Honey’s for dinner. It is a down home southern type of place in downtown Asheville. My wife split dinner, and had trouble deciding between the meatloaf plate and the Southern stroganof, with the stroganof winning out. It was a great choice. - sliced pork on a cheesy grits with a very flavorful gravy. You can check out the menu online. We would definitely recommend Tupelo Honey’s.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

The staff was rude and the food was bland. I just don't understand the long lines waiting to get into this place. The food quality and taste was on par with Cracker Barrel.