“Worth the wait”

Tupelo Honey
Ranked #30 of 784 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: Our Southern dishes and libations are served with a creative twist and a smile, and we serve our guests nothing that we wouldn't want on our own supper table. When we play with our food (and we think it's okay), the result is scrumptious. We're rooted in the Mountain South, and our menu is inspired by time-honored traditions: pickling and frying, canning and preserving, and utilizing seasonal produce and ingredients to prepare delicious, scratch-made creations.
Etowah, North Carolina
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

My family ate lunch on Saturday and the place was packed. I think we waited 1 hour for a table. The waiting area is very cramped and small. Once we were seated our waiter did a great job serving us immediately. I told him we needed to be out in 45 minutes to make a play. He brought the food and the check promptly and we made it. We all had the rainbow trout with asparagus and goat cheese grits. The food was excellent. I really liked the rolls and jam as well.
We like the asheville South location of this restaurant is well. I would recommend you try eating at this place.

• Korean first
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Just like the CookBook”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We received the Tupelo Honey Cafe's Cookbook as a gift a few years ago and have wanted to try the restaurant since receiving the book. For a Monday's late lunch we still needed to wait 30 minutes for a table. The Ashville weather was cool and dreary but there are lots of galleries & shops to explore while waiting; they use remote "buzzer" type devices to alert you that a table is ready.
The food, service and "through-back" Southern atmosphere was very charming. Everyone gets a "free" biscuit, honey & local preserves. The food portions are large and very tasteful. The very special sandwich dressings are unique to the Café. If in Ashville ... don't pass-up the Tupelo Honey Café. They will have a new cookbook publishing this Spring 2014. We'll be purchasing it too.

• Visited November 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Worth the Wait, Great Food”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We really enjoyed the Honey Tupelo cafe in Downtown Asheville. Yes, there was a wait, but you can walk around and visit the surrounding shops while you wait, and the person outside taking names for tables was very organized, pleasant and explained the process. Calling ahead may be best on busy weekend nights.

We had lunch there, and the wait was only about 25 minutes, but well worth it. The food was excellent. We will definitely be back. It is generally very crowded, but the service was above average, timely and friendly.

• Visited October 2013
london
“yummy, fun but a little OTT on service”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had a fun meal here on recent visit from London. Lots of yummy fried things like green tomatoes and grits and something like a pulled pork eggrolll. It's not how I normally eat but I though what the heck! Service was prompt but being called 'baby' by the waiter got on my nerves after awhile. I like it and would recommend by for folks coming by way of New England and the original England, well, you might service too in your face.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank londonpr
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Really a mixed bag”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Sometimes it is really difficult to write a review that is, well, just not very favorable, especially when you really want to write a good one. But if you are going to be honest and straightforward, then you gotta say it, warts and all, so to speak.
I went with my daughter on a midmorning whim, knowing it would probably be nuts and packed to the gills, but it was surprisingly quiet. We were quickly sat by a genial hostess and offered our beverages within minutes. I got coffee, which was great and hot, and my daughter ordered iced tea, unsweet. The waitress brought sweet tea, but changed it quickly and after much decision making, I decided on a 3 item omelet, asparagus, spinach and muenster cheese. I asked for my home fries to be a bit on the well done side. My daughter opted for the sweet potato pancake with extra peach butter and a side of the goat cheese grits.
Our waitress asked if we would like a complimentary biscuit and blueberry jelly, and wow, were they absolutely yummy!! My daughter and I all but licked the platters clean. Her sweet potato pancake arrived next, and mine arrived shortly after, followed quickly by order. Her order looked terrific. She said it tasted great also. And then it kind of came crashing to a halt when my food arrived. I had what looked to be a great omelet....but looks are deceiving sometimes. Had I been dining with ANYONE ELSE (my daughter does not like me to make a scene or send back food or say when things are wrong) I would have bitterly complained. My potatoes resembled little black discs....well done, no, burnt, yes. My omelet had a small glob of cheese in its center and a small pile of spinach atop it. At first glance, I was pleased to see 4 nice stalks of asparagus in the omelet....but they were undercooked, not snapped at the wooden pithy part of the stem, and devoid of any salt, pepper, or seasoning whatsoever. The entire omelet, though gorgeous to look at, lacked any flavor whatsoever. Now if I had come for biscuits, sweet potato pancakes and goat cheese grits, I would have been one happy camper.....but breakfast is kind of supposed to be about the egg too, and so I must only give this an average rating. We are locals, and eat out often, so I guess I expect the last bite to be as good as the first bite. And leaving hungry after spending more than I do for a lot of lunches in town is something I do not plan on doing again in the foreseeable future.

• Visited December 2013