“Would you like a side of snotty attitude with that?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Tupelo Honey

Tupelo Honey
Ranked #29 of 781 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our Southern dishes and libations are served with a creative twist and a smile, and we serve our guests nothing that we wouldn't want on our own supper table. When we play with our food (and we think it's okay), the result is scrumptious. We're rooted in the Mountain South, and our menu is inspired by time-honored traditions: pickling and frying, canning and preserving, and utilizing seasonal produce and ingredients to prepare delicious, scratch-made creations.
Seattle, Washington
“Would you like a side of snotty attitude with that?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Tupelo Honey Cafe is a mainstay of Asheville's food scene, which is why I am sad to acknowledge that something has gone terribly wrong with the staff culture of this restaurant. Because of its popularity, the wait is often ridiculously long, and that has kept us from going there more often. When we do go, I have started to notice this peculiar vibe, as though the people working there are doing a huge favor to humanity. Under these dire circumstances even the most simple, conventional requests might be met with a kind of passive aggressive petulance. I wondered if I was jumping to conclusions about this, until a friend of mine went on a tirade about why he never eats there for that very reason. Tonight, being late on a Sunday, hungry and somewhat forgetful, we decided a little southern comfort food might hit the spot, so we headed to THC. After about a half hour wait, we finally opted to sit at the counter, which was fine, as we were increasingly starving and didn't want to wait longer. After a long sit at the counter our waiter appeared in a fretful haze of insincere chumminess. We ordered drinks. We also asked if we could order our food. The answer was no. Umm, OK. The person next to us, who sat down after we did, was repeatedly called "bro" by the waiter. He was impressively duded out in a shiny hipster suit, which evidently was his ticket to ride the THC approval train, so he ordered before us. He also got his food right away. Fifteen minutes later we were still waiting for our food. Oh, and also the beer my husband ordered which never came. Although I did my best to placate the waiter in a complementary manner (something I highly encourage you to do at THC if you are over 40 and want to have any chance of eating at all) It so happens this particular waiter had honed the THC art of dismissive treatment to a thinly veiled form of sadism. He intentionally delayed putting in our food order, something he admitted, flat out and wide eyed, as our shiny suit neighbor finished the last savory crumbs on his plate. It's that sort of reaction that makes you realize the entire place has joined the dark side. We are not rude or overly demanding, so that is not the issue here. We are also unwilling to be treated that badly by anyone, so we got up and walked out. I have now walked out of a restaurant exactly two times, and the last time was 30 years ago. Congratulations THC. You earned this honor, fair and square. We went straight to Wicked Weed, feeling hungry, angry and depressed. The waitress there was a normal person who didn't seem to think her job involved classifying people and then treating some of them like dog poo. We had a great meal, and wonderful service. We got the beer we ordered, like magic. What a relief. If you want to experience the most arrogant over rated place in Asheville, you know where to go. For the best of Asheville, my advice is go just about anywhere else.

1 Thank talaria9

• Korean first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Why is this so popular?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Our server was friendly and eager to please. We called an hour ahead to get our name on a list, even though they don't officially take reservations. We had only a short wait. But, we didn't enjoy the food.

There is a part of the menu called "the bees knees" I think, which are their items they are most proud of. We ordered from that section. I had the nutty fried chicken and found it bland and unremarkable. To be fair I don't normally eat fried food, but since the menu said it was their most requested item I thought there must be something special about it. There was not, and I could not taste the nuts at all.

My husband ordered a steak with a bordelaise sauce. It was overpriced for what it was. The sauce was made in house, it just was not that good. They were very kind to bring a different sauce as an alternative.

I guess Asheville "foodies" have different taste than we do. Not impressed.

Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great breakfast spot.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Cool vibe and atmosphere. Only been here for breakfast but always great food. Sweet potatoe pancakes, breakfast bowl, and Bloody Mary are awesome, as well as biscuits and blueberry jam.

• Visited August 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tupelo Honey is Yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Had the Nutty Fried Chicken and it was Fabulous. I ordered mine with fried okra which is probably the best ice ever had. Great service on top of it all.

North East, Pennsylvania
“No Honey at this stop !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Like any number of new folks to Asheville I was drawn in by the promise of a wonderful experience at Tupelo Honey. The four of us each ordered different meals. The staff was friendly, service very timely and that's where the good times ended. All four selections tasted the same, nothing but spices. The great Grits I was looking forward too where like Cream of Wheat. In short ! Don't put this on your short list when inn Asheville. Very disappointing food. If you like any food that has no texture or quality then this is the place for you !