“Some of the best service in town (plus the food is really good)”

Rezaz Mediterranean Cuisine
Ranked #31 of 818 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sweeten Creek Road
Description: Located in the heart of the Historic Biltmore Village district, Rezaz Modern Mediterranean Restaurant offers both high end dining and casual cafe styled service. Enjoy a glass of wine and some Middle Eastern snacks in the Wine Bar, or experience a five course tasting menu at the Chef's Table located right beside the "line" in the kitchen. Rezaz truly offers the complete spectrum.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Rezaz is a very nice, fine dining restaurant with some of the best service in town. The food tasted fresh and was artfully prepared.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

There weren't a lot of things easily identifiable as Mediterranean - which is a good thing - but the flavors were certainly woven throughout the dishes. The Rezaz Mezze was one particular dish which did look classically Mediterranean - but was out of this world good. The flavors in the 3 dips were incredible, with obvious use of fresh herbs. The restaurant has a simple modern feel, with plenty of wine options.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by no less than three staff at my hotel. It was close, within walking distance and the menu on line sounded intriguing. I called ahead and was asked if I had a reservation. No, I replied, but it would be for one. I travel quite a bit for work/leisure and do not travel with others on occasion. The gentleman on the phone said "No problem, we can fit you in." I headed to the very sleek, attractive restaurant. It was fully 10 minutes from my phone call to arrival. Once there, the same person I spoke with on the phone explained that they had no tables available, but that I could sit at the bar. The bar had backless cushioned stools, was very close to tables and was utterly empty....anyone sitting there would be on display for all to see. The lighting was poor as well. That was important as I read while dining when alone. I said I would prefer a table and was told "When one was available, I would be the first." There were empty tables for 4 at this time. Ok, I do understand using a four top for one is not the best. There were no reserved signs on any table, so that didn't seem to be the problem. I did order a glass of wine while "waiting" for a table. I saw them seat a couple well after I sat at the bar at a table for two. There was a table for two right next to them. I stared at the host as this was happening and he finally sat me at the table next to the couple who had been given their choice of the two tables.

Ok, sticky beginning...however, the Sindria Insalta with arugula, watermelon, shaved red onion, walnuts, pecorino, Saba and EVOO was probably the best salad I have ever had. The salad had coarse salt and fresh ground pepper on it. Outstanding and a perfect size....the main event was a grilled ribeye with an herb bacon potato gratin with a mushroom ketchup and asparagus was very good. The meat was perfectly cooked and well seasoned. The potatoes were soft, tasty and rich, but there was no flavor of bacon at all. I asked to have the "ketchup" left off the plate, but it was on the meat. It was easily removed.

The meal was wonderful and I was excited to order Baklava with Cardomon, Pistachio and a coconut lime sorbet for dessert. I also ordered a second glass of wine to enjoy with dessert. The dessert arrived and I barely tasted it, when the host came over and asked me to move as he had a "large group" who needed my table. Are you kidding???? I did move, not happy at all. The dessert was only so so....tainted by my experience? Difficult to say, but the sorbet had no taste of coconut at all. The "pastry" of the Baklava was dry, hard and not flaky at all. Not my idea of Baklava, but tasty for some other type of dessert.

Overall.....food was very good....my individual server at the first and then second table, was on top of things, friendly and experienced. My gratuity reflected this as it was not his fault I was treated as an unwelcome customer. I will most likely not return to this restaurant the next time I am in Asheville. If you are a couple or a group, you will enjoy yourself.

1  Thank E M
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Was hoping for more based on the rave reviews. We ordered a soup, two small plates (like large appetizer size) and two desserts. The soup, a pistachio cream, was unique and flavorful. One small plate, shrimp and calamari in a light Asian type sauce over greens was wonderful. The other small plate was not good at all, a very disappointing, over cooked, WAY over breaded, greasy soft shell crab. Bleah. I ate the garnish side salad and only one bite of the crab. My dinner partner ate about 1/3 of the crab's meatiest sections and then also gave up on it.

Desserts were better than average, but not amazing. Our favorite was a peanut butter and chocolate creation that had the best peanut butter mousse inside we've tasted anywhere.

Service throughout meal was generally very attentive and friendly. Only reason I didn't rate it higher for service was that even though we filled out a comment card and let them know of our dissatisfaction with the soft shell crab dish, no effort was made to apologize or remove it from the bill, as I would expect a fine dining establishment to do if a guest is unhappy with part of a meal.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The owners of our B&B recommended this ( thanks James and Susan of Carolina B&B)great restaurant. We had spent some time in Nice, France and were anxious for some good mediterranean food. My wife had the butternut squash ravioli and I had one of the evening specials, a hanger steak. Both were delicious. We did split the grilled Caesar salad on the recommendation of our waiter as an appetizer. I definitely would return. I thought everything was well priced.