“Free Wine Tasting, nothing special.”

Biltmore Winery at Antler Hill Village
Ranked #17 of 195 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visit our historic winery on Biltmore’s 8,000-acre estate nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Asheville, North Carolina. With your general admission Biltmore ticket, enjoy complimentary tastings of more than 20 of our handcrafted wines as our wine hosts take you on a journey through our reds, whites, and rosés. Linger at our wine bar where you can taste our reserve and sparkling wines by the glass along with delectable cheeses and locally-made truffles. Shop for your favorites and take home a taste of Biltmore. Interested in seeing our vineyards? Our exclusive "Vine to Wine Tour" combines an excursion over the river to our breathtaking vineyards on the west side of Biltmore—an area that most guests never see—with a walking production tour and wine tastings throughout the experience.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

It was a very pretty inside. We had a free wine tasting but it was crowded and our server was very busy. She didn't have time to spend with us. We tasted the whites and found one we liked. Went back into the store and bought our wine. Nothing very special about it.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is the place to go on the Biltmore Estate after the estate, gardens, shops, and lunch. It's a great way to end one's visit. I enjoyed the winery itself and its gift shop.

But, when it came to tasting a wine, I was disappointed. I sampled the Biltmore Merlot. The selection sheet said I was "pleasantly dry and deliciously fruity with soft tannins and notes of cherry and vanilla." NOT!!! I found it to be sharp and bitter with WAY too much of the tannin element to the point where the tannins were too dominant; in fact, they were overpowering. The bitterness approached that of a sour lemon which was far beyond the expected power of tannins in merlot. There was nothing "deliciously fruity" about it. It seemed to me that the strong cherry flavor was used to mask this mediocre wine's high astringency and bitterness. I was not impressed. This must have been an "off" vintage because I know that this is an award-winning winery. After the experience, I did not want to sample any other wines.

In the wine shop, I priced various wines. Most ran $19.99 to $29.99. The mediocre merlot was priced accordingly at $12.99 as most quality merlots run over $20.00.

Nonetheless, I do highly recommend visiting the winery to complete your Biltmore experience.

2  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Wife and I visited the winery at Antler Hill Village while on a visit to Biltmore Estate and Home. Antler village is a quaint shopping area with several gift and specialty shops and a museum type attraction that chronicles the life of George Vanderbilt and his wife. The winery tour runs about every half-hour and takes about 20 minutes. Your tour guide explains the types of wine and how it is made and other facts related to wines. There is really not much to see in terms of the production equipment. At the end of the tour you go into the free wine tasting room for samples of Biltmore reds and whites. Keep in mind that you can do the wine tasting without having to take the tour. You can also purchase wines in the shop. There is ample parking and a short walk to the village and stores from the parking lots. Also at the village is a farm area tour, Segway rentals and tours, a children's area and for the very adventurous a Range Rover Off Road driving school. Summertime would obviously be the best time to enjoy these activities.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I enjoyed my visit to the winery despite the rainy weather. The line for the free tastings was long so I hung out at the wine bar instead. Getting a table was fairly easy. Walking around the wine shop is bad for your wallet. I left with a few bottles of wine and a pack of Wassail. You can sample many of the wines throughout the shop prior to purchasing a bottle so you can make sure you get what you like. I definitely plan on visiting again.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We went Christmas Day for the Chocolate & Red Wine pairing tasting. There was another couple who signed up for the same time as we did but they simply didn't bother to follow the directions about when 7 where to show up so my wife & I had a very experienced guide to ourselves. He was very knowledgeable and showed us how different chocolates went better with different red wines. Big surprise to me since I always assumed the 2 went together no matter what the types were. We essentially had just over an hour by our selves with the guide. We stayed around for a little of the premium wine tasting afterwards. The winery shop is very well stocked with a multitude of items other than wine plus of course all the wines made by Biltmore. If you are staying at the Inn on Biltmore as we were, anything you by there can be delivered to your room later in the day at no charge. Nice touch.