“Plenty of fresh food!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Yao Buffet Sushi Grill
Ranked #255 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seviervil
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Plenty of fresh food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Awesome, friendly service. VERY clean. No lack of choices. Great value. Sister and I met there for lunch being its 1/2 way for both of us and we had a very relaxing lunch, no need to ever wave down server, very attentive and the food was fresh and delicious!

S30052nellville Ga.
“REPORT CARD A+ SUSHI, C- The Rest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We ate every sushi they offered. They were fresh well made and delicious. Perfect. The grill where they make your food to order gave us a fresh vegetable and shrimp dish that lacked flavor, downright dull. No Spices and none available except soy sauce. The soup bar looked promising, with your choice of vegetables, different noodles and meat in a light broth, as I watched him make it, I was really excited. But it was tasteless...again no seasoning at all. They had a huge array of buffet items including oysters, but the usual standbys such as lo mein, Mongolian beef. fried rices and noodles, sweet and sour dishes,for an example, had again, little flavor It was really the worst buffet I had ever been to. I sampled as much as I could and only found one dish, a nice chicken, mushroom in a black bean sauce.. We were sure it must have been an off night as the place filled up. I am used to real Chinese Thai and Japanese food as I have traveled to each county and lived in the great food City New York for 17 years I know good ethnic food.. People all around were really enjoying the food, we tried to get dishes that that looked like they had. Oysters were good... I noticed most of the food we ate in North Carolina in local restaurants were generally bland and I wonder if this is how the natives like their fare The service was top notch and we noted the restaurant was very well run. Anyway if it was just a sushi bar I'd be giving it a rave.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
“Excellent Buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Something for everyone! Sushi, seafood, grill, soups, noodles,
Many chicken dishes. Full salad bar. Desserts. Place was spotless and our server was an amazing man who stayed on top
of everything. Much better than Asiana which occupied the same spot 14 months ago. Private dining rooms also. Definitely worth a visit

“Surprise birthday desert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I went there today for my free birthday lunch. Food was excellent. In the very end I received beautiful free birthday desert plate with a candle. And employees have been singing a Happy birthday song to me. Such a nice surprise! Plus free lunch for me. Recommended!

Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Reliable Asian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Yao's buffet features a huge selection of dishes, most from China and Japan, but a sprinkling from Thai, Philippino, Indonesian, and other Asian cuisines as well. I've eaten literally hundreds of meals in this restaurant since it opened as Asiana (same family is still in charge) and I have never tried anything that I didn't like. Sure, once in a great while something will have sat on the steam table a little too long, but there are always other more appetizing dishes to try. My favorites are the sushi (rolls at lunch, nigiri at dinner), the gourmet vegetables, and the Thai curry (though I have to add some heat). For dessert, I always go for flan topped with some of the dip-it-yourself ice cream. Conservative eaters can find plenty of American choices as well. In my opinion, this restaurant and the Asiana location on Hendersonville Road are the best bargains in Asheville.

• Visited June 2013