“A-mazing”

Ranked #130 of 804 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Zia presents you with a collection of our favorite scratch made flavors from regional Mexico, Texas, & New Mexico. We have established a unique menu by using fresh, local, & regional ingredients and sourcing premium chiles from New Mexico. We utilize a fast-casual concept and view ourselves as partners with our customers, employees, community, and environment.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

the food is delicious.. from the barbacoa nachos and tortas to the made in-house queso dip. full of flavor and originality. margaritas are made from scratch :) no complaints. attentive and friendly service and also in the neighborhood. 2 thumbs up! cant wait to drink outside!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Everything at Zia is incredibly fresh, from the margarita mix made in house to all the food. Spices and chilies flown in from Mexico make all the flavors really pop. Casual style counter service makes eating with a large group easy ( no tabs to split at the end ) but the service continues far past the counter. Full service is also available at the bar and high top tables if you're more into that. Highly suggest checking this place out. Try the tacos or the Barbacoa nachos!

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Very good food and service we went from downtown to come here and it was worth the short drive staff very accommodating and friendly

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Food was very good. Quick service and great outdoor patio to enjoy the sunny spring weather in asheville

Reviewed March 13, 2013

As the previous reviewer pointed out, this restaurant has only been open a few short weeks, so some hiccups are natural and hopefully remedied.

My husband and I went to Zia's at lunchtime on a weekday. We didn't know what to expect (other than "Mexican" food) and we were rather hungry, so we were probably easier to please than other customers. After getting the short introduction from the very friendly service staff (explaining the order process--the menu is on the wall, and you order at the counter), we settled on a beef baracoa Torta and an enchilada platter with chicken and pork and "Christmas style" salsa (red & green) and ice teas (which we got right away). When we sat down, we were served chips and Salsa and waited for a rather short time and then received our food.

The presentation was appetizing: the sandwich was halved and smiled up at me, baring its innards so I could see what it was all about; the enchiladas were covered in beautifully colored sauce and had sour cream drizzles, while the sides sat on the plate in their very own little cups. Don't get me wrong, this is not fine dining, but it sure beat the usual "throw it all on a plate" and bland visual impression many "Mexican" restaurants in Asheville had left me with (places such as the now defunct Westgate staple "Tomato" and the annihilated Merrimon "La Carreta"). So far we were impressed. But that paled in comparison to our tastebud experience.

Each dish actually tasted different (imagine that!). And not only did the different items taste different, but they also each had a complexity of flavors to them that we absolutely loved. It was deeply satisfying. I ended up eating most of my husband's leftover Enchilada sauces with the chips on our table--or maybe I should say I used the chips to scoop up the sauces (in comparison to those flavors, the complimentary salsa was really quite boring), while he took bite after bite of my sandwich. The beans melted in my mouth and the saffron rice actually looked like it had encountered the real thing :)

As the previous reviewer mentioned, we too did not encounter any diversity in the service staff (which was all white and male as far as I could tell), but to equate ethnicity with authenticity seems to be patently unfair and wrong. The atmosphere, food, and service should be the basis for a review - and at Zia all of them seemed to be a great match for Asheville.