“"Nawlins" style”
Review of Magnolia Ray - CLOSED

Magnolia Ray
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A warm,casual space that has something for everyone-from burgers to a fine salmon-paired with local brews and distinctive wines.
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

We had a great new find in north Asheville. As other reviewers have said the outside ain't much to look at but the food and service inside was excellent. We had the gumbo and a meatloaf dinner and both were tops. The owner and chef is from New Orleans and his passion for good food is obvious.

1  Thank WCUcody
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Ray

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We ate here a few weeks ago for a small family celebration after our wedding. We were dressed up (though not in typical wedding clothes), and the warm and inviting hostess immediately asked about our special occasion and offered us a free celebratory dessert.

For our meals, I had shrimp etoufee, which was amazing, and my husband had a flat iron steak dish with a blueberry sauce. My stepdaughter (age 7) had chicken fingers. I'm not much of a foodie. I loved my etoufee, but wasn't as big a fan of the biscuits and the bisque. However, I think that's due to my tastes, and not the food. Overall we had a wonderful experience, and I would recommend the restaurant to anyone who loves food. It is a fancier place, and my stepdaughter was getting fidgety waiting for our food - not used to places that prepare meals from scratch! We chose the chocolate molten cake for dessert and it was rich and delicious.

On the way out, we briefly chatted with the chef, and he was friendly as well. We asked about all the eyeglasses sitting on the counter, and he said they provide reading glasses for people to borrow so they can read the menus - a great idea I'd never heard of!

1  Thank Dogsrunningamuck
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

It may not look like much from the outside and when you see the inside it is just ok. But...... The menu is nice and very reasonable especially compared to similar restaurants. The food is fantastic, French creole and tons of gluten free options. The owner is gluten free so all the dishes are exceptionally good. They even have gluten free desserts. The atmosphere gets better because the great service and the friendliness of the staff. Their lunch specials are great and inexpensive. We ate there twice. Dinner is a must! They only have beer and wine but it's most certainly the best new place in Asheville. The only complaint is that there are no dogs allowed on the Patio and it seemed that the staff was getting chastised by the chef for talking to guests who asked them a question.

1  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed February 18, 2014

A person from New Orleans recommended this restaurant to me, saying it was just like you were in New Orleans. Of course, I had to check it out for myself. Excellent! I ate their at dinner and sampled the Shrimp Étouffée (my favorite) and the blackened almond chicken pasta (my second favorite). The sauces were wonderful, the chicken was spiced perfectly, and the shrimp was real gulf shrimp.

The waiter was friendly and knowledgeable, and accepted every request (no caramelized onion for one, not too spicy for another) and when the meal came, it was exactly as requested. Later on, I overheard the chef smilingly speaking with another party at the next table about ways he could prepare a shrimp dish for her that would be gluten free. He gave her several alternatives, all of which sounded good to me! They were only too happy to take special requests, and they also came by each table to check and see if every thing was to our liking.

The dining area was intimate, but not crowded together, and one of the neat things is that people from different tables were speaking to each other about what they were having, and what their favorite things were. We had a fun time.

Oh, and yes, it was also a very clean restaurant, which as you know is very important to me.

Most of all, the food was delicious! We will be ordering lunch takeout tomorrow!

1  Thank WNC_Zag_Fan
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband loves this place, really likes the food. It's sort of southern/New Orleans. Gumbo and etouffee, shrimp & grits, red beans and rice plus specials. Biscuits are good. Prices are medium to expensive. Decor is casual. Been there several times. Can be almost no customers to totally full.

1  Thank L_S978