“Lunch was lovely!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus. Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was my first visit to Chestnut and what a wonderful experience it was! The ginger sweet potato soup was delicious! And the Reuben was stacked with lean corned beef. Our waiter was so attentive even though he had to work several tables. And let's not forget the atmosphere! I will definitely go back when visiting Asheville!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I've dined at Chestnut six times and will continue to return. I love the beet salad and the spinach salad. And, as I've mentioned, the coconut milk/curry soup is the best soup I've ever had and I have worked in upscale dining for over 20 years. That said, I'm quite critical of service. Until my last visit, I was very pleased.

Our female server had to ask us to repeat our requests as if she wasn't paying attention. She brought more hot water for tea after being told no more was wanted, and she missed several details such as not bringing sour cream as requested. My mother wondered if she had a hearing problem. Perhaps.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan. And I did see great floor coverage by friendly management.
Go to Chesnut, order the beet salad and trust the soup of the day. Cheers!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visit Chestnut frequently for dinner and am never dissappointed. This week I visited for Saturday brunch. The house smoked brisket was some of the best I've ever eating. Truly melt in your mouth!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I always love Chestnut for a dinner experience and it is on the short list of restaurants out-of-town friends must go to!! The Saturday brunch our group of 6 enjoyed this week was fabulous and reasonably priced. We loved our waitress who tied up her long, braided hair in such a way that we all commented on how "ornamental" it was. She was delightful and I certainly did not need to eat again until dinner.

1  Thank Diane K
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My daughter and I motored to Asheville last Saturday and decided to eat lunch at Chestnut. The restaurant is now serving brunch on both Saturday and Sunday (a locals request), so our favorite sandwiches were not on the menu. We inquired whether it would be possible to make them and the kitchen agreed!
My favorite is the lobster roll with a side of sweet potato salad. My daughter's is a portobello mushroom sandwich with greens and balsamic dressing.
Basically, because they had the prepared ingredients in house, they were willing to accommodate our request and make our favorite sandwiches.
We were very pleased with their response because we had eaten breakfast before leaving Charlotte and therefore had no interest in brunch.