“Ok - Overpriced”

Southern Highland Craft Guild Folk Art Center
Ranked #7 of 195 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Traditional and contemporary Southern Appalachian crafts, including century-old pieces, are displayed in this folk art center, which also houses the first craft shop in the U.S.
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I found the art/items to be beautiful and unique, and I do appreciate craftsmanship, however everything was way overpriced.

I also found the staff to be unwelcoming and unfriendly.

1  Thank JeannineKW

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I visited this center while in the Asheville area. The quality and originality of all the media is truly amazing. All the artists and craftsmen are truly professional and very gifted. We saw items there that we had not seen at other centers of this type. It was certainly worth the stop even though the.wallet was a little lighter upon leaving.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

This and the affiliated center in Biltmore Village were among the highlights of our trip to Asheville. Prints, quilts, carvings, jewelry, you name it. My wife and I bought a (numbered) print we could not resist. The Guild has fantastic artists.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I don't know that there is any experience that compares with traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The best thing along the Parkway is this folk art center, I've been there at least three times and have purchased art every time. And I happen to live in the upper midwest. Go there! I was there quite some time ago, but they won't let me put in an accurate date.

1  Thank minn_traveler612
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I'm not even heavily into "crafts," but I still enjoyed visiting this center. It is part museum, craft fair, and gift shop. I enjoyed reading about, and seeing examples of, skills used and passed on in the Appalachians (e.g., pottery, basket weaving and woodworking). The gift shop has lots of nice stuff, but it's not cheap, at least not for me. Definitely worth one visit in your lifetime, when you're visiting Asheville.