Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon

My MIL, husband and myself spent about 1.5 hours there on an overcast Sunday afternoon. One of our... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
bnh822_2019
via mobile
Wonderful New Exhibit

The WNC Nature center is unique in that all critters are native or live in the region. Even the... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Debbie P
Asheville, North Carolina
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Asheville
from $19.99
from $109.00
from $59.50
from $80.00
More Info
All reviews petting zoo native animals otter feeding red wolves river otters kids and adults whole family all ages the barn north carolina couple hours great place to visit spend an afternoon on display bears enclosures wnc
Reviewed August 15, 2018

It's a relatively small when you think 'zoo' but big enough to spend a couple hours. The guide map made it easy to follow the trails. There were places to sit down along the way, which were appreciated, while a couple of our party of five ventured out on the Trillium Nature Trail. On a hot day I'd recommend carrying a water bottle as the only place to purchase a beverage is near the entrance/exit.

Despite the heat we were able to view all the animals though some of them were inactive and/or sleeping. Overall it was an enjoyable visit and gave us insight into local wildlife. For five adults two hours or so was enough time. With children I'd allow more time.

Parking was not easy.
The trails are very walkable but include inclines.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

My family and I love coming to this place when we visit Asheville. Not only are the exhibits wonderful so that you can actually see the animals but staff is very knowledgeable about the exhibits. My grandson enjoys the playgrounds sprinkled throughout as well. With a young child plan about an hour and a half.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank motherthetesa
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

We had an off day with rain during our trip to Asheville and found this hidden gem. The place is very clean and well maintained. The animals were all healthy and active, and indigenous to the region which I found refreshing.

This is a fun little zoo that kids, and adults too!, will enjoy. Be sure to see the otter feedings at 1:30

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

Very nice nature center. Close up views of the animals, well maintained. As previous poster wrote it does smell like animals, but it is an animal exhibit

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed August 5, 2018

It was ok, it smells like animal everywhere and it's an old facility, well maintained. We saw an owl exhibition and that was cute but nothing you have to do when you are there unless you have too much time.

Date of experience: July 2018