“Old School Rules!”

Cuisines: Deli
Description: 828-277-7750
Description: 828-277-7750
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I'd been eyeing this place for years. I knew it must be good, as it had been in business for quite some time, but I never could think to go. Then, when Catawba Brewing opened its doors next door, my husband and I gave it a try.

Honestly, I expected a sub like Jersey Mike's. (No offense, JM's. You have your own, great place in this world.) I suppose my point is: How different can you make a sub? Well, let me tell you, it can be done.

I got a turkey sub with hummus (yes, hummus) and black olives and their signature oil, vinegar, and spices. It was fresh, flavorful, and healthy! It came with a choice of potato or pasta salad, and this, too, was most tasty and "zingy."

My husband had the chicken salad sub, and I watched the owner make it up from scratch, right there before my eyes, so you know it's not been sitting around for days hoping someone will look in its direction. He said it was yummy!

I would suggest allowing a bit of extra time to order or call ahead. The owner, that night at least, was working alone, and it took a bit of time as there was a big rush while we were there. It was worth the wait, however, and I suspect during peak hours, things move more efficiently.

In short, this is not your "run of the mill" sub shop. It is homemade deliciousness, and I dare you to find a better sandwich in this town. It simply can't be done!

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

It's in a weird location but has wonderful subs (and Reuben's). Be sure to give this guy a try. Everything is made to order with quality meats,cheeses and veggies.

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

I visited this small shop while hanging out with some friends in the area. Tonight was our first night there and we were more than impressed! All the deli meat/cheese is Boars Head, the tomatoes and onion were fresh and the sandwich was huge! I would recommend visiting this shop ASAP!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stopped in Old School Subs and got a couple of roast beef sandwiches to eat in the park. The subs were made with quality ingridents such as Boars Head meats and fresh veggies. They also had delicous cookies and my wife got a brownie that was very good. The staff was friendly and fun. The restaurant is small and in a strip mall close to Biltmore Village. It's a small shop with big flavor.

1  Thank davidhess76
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Having had experience in recent years of subs with lots of shredded lettuce as their main ingredient i wasn't especially hopeful that this place would offer much different. Surprise! This large sub had real meat, a choice of condiments, a pickle and good bread. Will go back next time in Asheville for sure.