“Pretty good burger, nice setting, good service, loud”

West Asheville Lounge and Kitchen
Ranked #193 of 781 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: WALK is a local neighborhood restaurant that serves upscale pub grub and daily specials along with a full bar.
Asheville, North Carolina
“Pretty good burger, nice setting, good service, loud”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We tried The Walk on Haywood Road this evening. Loved the way the owners have done the renovation of the old Rocket Club location across from The Admiral -- brick walls, high ceilings, garage-type doors on two sides that open to let in the mountain air. And I enjoyed the West Asheville vibe.

Contrary to some other reviews, we found the service excellent -- friendly and prompt.

The food? So-so. The fried chicken livers special ($8) that we had as an appetizer were a little heavy on the cornmeal. My 6 oz. Hickory Nut Gap burger ($9 with a side of fries) wasn't the best cheeseburger in Asheville that I've been searching for, but the fries were excellent. My wife's shrimp po-boy ($9.50 with a side of sauteed kale) also was just okay.

With one appetizer, two entrees each with a side, a glass of wine and one draft microbrew and tax, the tab came to around $38 plus my usual generous tip.

With the juke box blaring, two pool tables going, the place full and the Alabama-Texas A&M game on the huge screen, it was LOUD. Definitely not a place for a quiet talk.

All in all, I wasn't totally knocked out, but I liked the atmosphere and service, and I would come back for bar snacks and a brew.

I debated between three and four stars and went with four because I'd like to my little part to see places like this succeed in West Asheville.

• Visited November 2012

Sylva, North Carolina
“Local Bar Scene”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Expected more from other great reviews, but just a straight-up trendy bar scene. They had a large projection scene for the football game but just turned it off after the game was over. Wish they had put on other games or something, looked odd.

Visited October 2012
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Terrible meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I don't ordinarily post bad reviews, but today's meal at WALK was easily one of the worst I have had in recent memory, and I feel compelled to warn others. After WALK received accolades from the Mountain Xpress's "Best of" Contest, I was excited to try it. But I won't ever be going back.

First, the service. From looking at other reviews on here it's clear the service can be spotty in quality. Our waitress was both incompetent and insolent. Although the restaurant wasn't full, it took her several minutes to even come and wipe our table off. She forgot to bring our waters when asked. Granted, these issues wouldn't be a big deal if she hadn't just gotten worse. After we got our food, she never came back to check on us. When she finally cleared the plates, she dropped food on my shoe. Instead of apologizing, she looked at me sullenly and said "You might want to get your napkin. I dropped food on your shoe."

Second, the food. Was terrible. The scrambled eggs were dessicated, like they'd been cooked a couple of hours earlier and left out in the open air to dry. Oh, and there was a long, black hair in mine. I didn't even bother telling the waitress, who clearly couldn't care less. The coffee was average. The cheese grits tasted like they had melted Kraft Singles into them.

I wanted to like this place. I like the decor. I like having new places to try, especially in West Asheville, which is a great, fun area. Hopefully there will be another new place to try when the building currently occupied by WALK is available for rent.

• Visited October 2012
piedmont of NC
“Good food, cool location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Neat location (old former filling station or garage?) Lots of outdoor seating. Basic sandwich and burger fare, which was actually delicious. Good beer selection. Delicious gyro and burger; fries were top notch, crispy and well seasoned. Service was adequate, very curt but got the job done. Food was good enough to bring us back.

• Visited August 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
“WALK this way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I was forunate enough to stop in here on a day when they had a Fried Chicken Sandwich on Special. Not just any fried chicken sandwich mind you, but one loaded up with Cheddar, Jalapenos, Bacon and some HEAT. The thing was a monster, I shouldve taken a photo of it. Anyhow, it was delicious, dripping with juicy goodness; I was in heaven. As if that wasnt enough, a few drinks later my pal Rooster ordered a plate of Scallops in a.... eehhmm; Maple Syrup Sauce. I had never had scallops before but he assured me there was no going back once I had. WOW. They were awesome. Obviously I have no point of reference to compare them against, but they certainly tasted right to me. But thats only half the story. Who would think to pair them with Maple Syrup?! I guess it would be the geniuses in the kitchen here. Im finding that West Asheville has some seriously good pub grub going on. The service here was friendly and always at hand when something was needed. Its a big open space, and could benefit from a little more soul (personal touches) but it usually takes time for a place to acquire that. For everything else, theyre certainly off on the right foot.
Grade: A- (might consider refining their liquor prices; as Kaluha and Milagro Reposado should not be the same price)

• Visited August 2012