“Meal in a bowl”

Stone Bowl
Ranked #170 of 780 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Princeton
“Meal in a bowl”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have only had the stone bowl - a mixture of very hot rice, veggies, protein of choice and RAW EGG! The raw egg is quickly stirred in with the aforementioned mixture and the heated food scrambles the egg!! It's pretty cool to watch and extremely tasty. While you are waiting for your meal, six or seven small bowls of "appetizers" are brought to the table. They are included with the meal and may include items such as marinated tofu, potatoes, kimchi and zucchini. I understand that a second restaurant will be opening in downtown Asheville.

Definitely worth the visit!

• Visited June 2013

Asheville, North Carolina
“Pleasant lunch, nothing makes me want to go back tomorrow”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We've been meaning to try the Stone Bowl for some time and finally got around to having lunch there today.

It was a pleasant meal, and I'd go back for dinner, though nothing we had really left me thinking, "I can't wait to go back tomorrow."

The best dish we had was the deep fried calamari ($6) -- basically a tempura-style appetizer. It was excellent. The two of us both had the lunch boxes ($9), a main dish with a couple of side dishes, kim chi, dumplings, white or brown rice and soup. I had the Bul Go Gi, marinated sliced beef, and my spouse the deep fried shrimp.

Both were okay, though the fried shrimp and vegetables were too heavily breaded, not like the tempura-style squid.

I take points off because the restaurant doesn't have any Korean beer, just three Japanese beers, a few local brews and some regular mass beers.

Though the Stone Bowl is in a little strip center, the atmosphere and decor were pleasant. I'd say there were about a dozen people there for lunch, about one-third full.

Our check came to about $30 before tip, with one appetizer, one beer and two lunch specials.

One of the co-owners is opening another Korean restaurant in downtown Asheville this summer. Although I'm not raving about this spot, Asheville needs all the Asian restaurants it can get, so I'm going to do my little part to suport the Stone Bowl and its new sister place.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank LanSluderBelize
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great meal”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had the Mae Un Sae Woo Bokum , which was spicy shrimp with assorted vegetables and brown rice. It was excellent.

Visited June 2013
“Great Dinner”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Great food, good service in a casual environment. The stone bowl specials were excellent ..... just don't touch the bowl. Well worth a try?

Visited May 2013
WNC
“Excellent Dinner”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Excellent experience. I live in the area and I rarely write reviews - but this restaurant was worth writing about. Place was filled almost to capacity - and I understand that reservations are accepted. Even though the place was busy, the service was impeccable. Our entrees came out with seven sides, some I readily identified and others, well, I needed a little help with. All of them were perfect. Looking forward to visiting again!

• Visited April 2013