“Romantic Couples Retreat to Asheville, North Carolina”

Hill House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was my first experience staying at a bed and breakfast. My husband and a couple we are close with traveled to Asheville to enjoy the food, drink, and sites of the city. When we arrived at Hill House we were greeted by the proprietor who made us feel at home. He offered us wine and light refreshments while we settled in. We stayed in the Biltmore Suite which was fantastic. The room was cozy and private. It had a wonderful bathroom, 4 poster bed, and fire place. The house was full the weekend we were there but we were not disturbed by comings and goings of other guests. The breakfasts were delicious as well. I have already recommended Hill House to my brother and his wife.

Room Tip: The Biltmore Suite was a more pricey room but it was wonderful. We got to peek in one of the other r...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Desiree L
There are newer reviews for Hill House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This bed and breakfast was near the freeway but far away enough not to hear it. The staff was very accommodating and breakfast was delicious. I don't like reviews that require a minimum of 200 characters because I don't know what else to say.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Everything was wonderful. Owner was ready to meet with us as soon as we arrived and showed us to our room. Because of some problems with freezing pipes he upgraded us to another room and made sure that we had all that we needed. We were unable to take advantage of the breakfast because we had to leave early, but he brought some things to our room so we could have something in the morning before we left. Really enjoyed our stay. Thanks,

Room Tip: Apartment was roomy
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael T
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had stayed here before although it had been a few years. Located in a quiet neighborhood in Asheville, the house seems huge but comfy. There were treats to nibble on in the common room, we got a great restaurant recommendation, and breakfast was delightful in the company of fellow travelers after a good night's sleep. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

First off, I have to thank David for being so accommodating to our last minute travel needs--my boyfriend and I decided last minute to take a detour during our holidays travels to enjoy a new city, but of course once I started looking around Asheville four days ahead of arrival I was unable to find anything that met our expectations (good location, unique, affordable). Due to a last minute cancellation, David was able to call me back to offer the S&W room--our lucky day! We unfortunately arrived late afternoon and were unable to make it to breakfast the next day, but the short amount of time that we spent at the house will undoubtedly have me booking a longer stay in the future. For those who want to take in the quirkier side of Asheville, the short walk that gets you into the heart of the city offers tons of little coffee shops, bars, and stores. Sidebar: I wouldn't walk back at night (not because of the location of the inn, but part of the neighborhood that you would walk back through in the dark, not very well lit), but was still able to take advantage of the brewery and wine scene thanks to a quick $5 cab ride home.

No, you won't be in the "thick" of downtown--but the hotels that are seem to be overpriced for what they offer, and the cute little wooded neighborhood that the inn is a part of is still a very reasonable walk away, even in December. Hill House is charming, cozy, and exactly the type of spot I would want to stay in for an Asheville/Blue Ridge get-away. We shall return!

1  Thank NWilliams21403
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Location: Hill House is situated mere minutes from downtown Asheville, so it's in close proximity to (some of the best) restaurants and shops.

Accommodations: We stayed in the Biltmore suite. The decor was not as impressive as it seemed online, but that can be forgiven. However, having a toilet that did not work for the majority of our stay? Not so forgivable. In addition, the room was extremely cold. Either this building was inadequately insulated or...it's inadequately insulated. To add insult to injury, the fireplace was on a timer and didn't raise the temperature in the room at all (again, poor insulation).

Breakfast: We're vegetarians, and I made this clear on our reservation. Unfortunately, this was not communicated to the chef, and they plopped down a plate with eggs and shrimp. I know some vegheads eat eggs, but I don't, and made this clear as well. I will give them the credit that breakfast the following morning was pretty good, but I expect details like this to be honored. We were also served last each morning, which made us feel a bit unwelcomed. On the first morning, okay I get it. Each morning after, something must be up.

Bed: Absolutely superb. I have no complaints about the comfort of the bed, the softness of the bedding or the fluffiness of the pillows. This was great, hands down.

Overall: We will not be staying here again they're offering a discount or provide a Living Social or Groupon deal. We'll stick to 1889 White Gate Inn.

Room Tip: Biltmore Suite is located at the end of the hall; it's good not having people on both sides of y...
4  Thank Serenafan
Hill_House_Innkeeper, Owner at Hill House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Some guests are impossible to satisfy. Yes, it was a very busy Christmas season and we overlooked that they had stated in their registration materials that they were vegetarians. I personally apologized and gave them a rebate, which apparently didn't matter to them.

They maintain they told staff about the toilet problem. However, staff tells me the first they knew about it was when the next guests checked in Christmas Day and complained. It was fixed the next day.

We're mystified how the call the Biltmore room cold. The second floor of Hill House is always warm, and the Biltmore has central heat and its temperature is always able to keep up with the thermostat setting. Moreover, the windows in the room have very very heavy drapes. No one has ever called the room cold. And if they had said something about it to us, we would have gladly brought a space heater.

Because they were served last the first day due to us preparing vegetarian options at the last moment, these guests seemed to think they should have been served first the next day. I mean, who's counting? Our priority is to serve the large tables consecutively so all sitting there can eat together.

These guests arrived with a vinyl bag overflowing with condom packages. Yet housekeeping saw no used condoms, which may account for the toilet problem. Their room was one of the more difficult to clean in the experience of housekeeping staff.

I hate to turn business away, but I'm glad to hear that these guests feel they are better suited for Frank and the Whitegate Inn than Hill House, and that they will be staying there on their next trip to Asheville.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

The "Biltmore Suite" was just perfect! We enjoyed a luxurious bubble bath after a great meal downtown. The south-facing room occupies the entire front of the second story of this ninteenth century estate home. Extraordinarily quiet and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Internet connection was easy, fast and reliable.
The breakfast was equally rave-worthy and the fresh-made juice was delicious. Good coffee and tea options and nice country atmosphere. Parking in the rear of the house with immediate entry access would be a welcome plus in bad weather ... but we enjoyed great weather. GPS took us right to the front door.

Room Tip: Study the room amenities at the web site for this B&B. They are very well described. We loved th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple