“wonderful room at an ideal location”

Hill House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The "Biltmore Suite" was just perfect! We enjoyed a luxurious bubble bath after a great meal downtown. The south-facing room occupies the entire front of the second story of this ninteenth century estate home. Extraordinarily quiet and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Internet connection was easy, fast and reliable.
The breakfast was equally rave-worthy and the fresh-made juice was delicious. Good coffee and tea options and nice country atmosphere. Parking in the rear of the house with immediate entry access would be a welcome plus in bad weather ... but we enjoyed great weather. GPS took us right to the front door.

Room Tip: Study the room amenities at the web site for this B&B. They are very well described. We loved th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 16, 2013

A birthday getaway weekend for my wife was a lovely experience due in no small part to the charm and comfort of the accommodations at Hill House. We are now looking for excuses to return. What we thought was going to be just a place to stay while we enjoyed Asheville will now be our main reason for return visits to the area. The breakfasts were remarkable.

Room Tip: The Flat Iron, with its separate sitting room, is the perfect room for anyone who enjoys a good book...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Our stay, the first ever at a B & B, was wonderful. Our room (the Jackson) was immaculate and quiet, and David and his fellow staff were welcoming and clearly dedicated to providing excellent service. The breakfasts were delicious, substantial and made from scratch and with love.

The grounds were quiet (set off from the road a bit) and the front garden very welcoming. We spent one evening on the expansive front porch enjoying a book and a glass of wine, and another in the front room playing a board game (we had brought ours with us, but there was a lovely wooden Chinese checkers, etc. multiple game board available). We were interested in hiking to see some waterfalls and Crystal, the Hill House chef, gave us driving directions that worked out perfectly. That hike was a highlight of our time in Asheville. We even saw a white squirrel!

The inn is centrally located. We were only a 5-minute drive or a 15-20 minute walk to downtown Asheville and the art museum and restaurants we particularly liked (such as Zambra).

I realized after we arrived home that I'd left a book in our room and contacted the staff by phone. They found the book and mailed it to me the next week and sent me an e-mail to let me know they had done so.

We will be returning to Asheville next year and definitely stay again at the Hill House.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hillhouse for our 8 year anniversary during the second half of October. David and his staff are very nice and the house is beautiful! It is within walking distance to Downtown Asheville which is great too! The only minor issue we had during our stay was that one night after being out, we came back to find our room reeked of a bleach smell (like headache inducing...couldn't sleep that night very well..) badly. They did offer to switch us to a different room for the night but we opted not to so we wouldn't have to shuffle our luggage there and back (the room was booked for the next night). Overall though we enjoyed our stay and would recommend Hillhouse.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hill_House_Innkeeper, Owner at Hill House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Our regular backup housekeeper didn't show the Sunday that Nikke and Joe checked in, and I called a cleaning service that had good references to help. The housekeeper didn't ask about the bleach, and was just too liberal in her use of it. It was a surprise to everyone here how she cleaned. Our apologies about that. I had thought we had gotten the bathroom aired out before bedtime.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The three of us, now that we're "middle-aged," like to have a weekend once in a while away from the hubbub of family. The Flat Iron Suite was perfect for us, and even had room for one more sister if we had been so lucky. David and his staff are friendly, the breakfasts were beautifully presented and delicious, and the common spaces are hospitable. Just one mile away from the square is close enough to walk (and safe enough too) while giving you a little quiet and space from downtown.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Breakfast was made from scratch every morning and was very good. I requested, due to food intolerances, something special and the staff was very helpful on fulfilling my request.
Our room could have been cleaner (I had to ask if they could vacuum it). Compared to the other reviews it seems we either had bad luck with our room or, as we had a dog with us, the rooms were dogs are allowed differ. A little annyoing was that the control for the heating was in the common dining room, so we always had to leave our room to change the temperature setting.
As this was a trip for my birthday, it was disappointing and we didn´t mind leaving. But we will certainly return to Asheville as this is a fabulous city.

Room Tip: Not S&W...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hill_House_Innkeeper, Owner at Hill House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Each Hill House assistant innkeeper is responsible for the "deep cleaning" of five rooms. October is Hill House's busiest month. One of the assistant innkeepers had numerous personal commitments in October, and I told him if he didn't have the time to keep the rooms as clean as we like them to be to let me know so that I could bring in additional housekeeping. For whatever reason, he assured me -- wrongly -- that additional housekeeping was unnecessary. He'll be leaving Hill House soon, because his personal commitments don't allow him the full-time commitment to Hill House that is necessary.

I explained this to Ms. Barth, apologized to her for the excess dust in the room, and offered her a partial refund because the room was not up to Hill House's standards of cleanliness. It seems she preferred to feel empowered on the internet instead.

Three guest rooms in Hill House have their thermostats in other rooms. It's not ideal, but a home built in 1885 was not designed for central heating and cooling, and I'm sure that when Carol and Ann and Albert renovated Hill House 18 years ago they did the best that was possible with the central heating/ac system. As I also explained to Ms. Barth, if the thermostat were moved from the dining room to the room she stayed in, then guests would be eating breakfast shivering, whenever the guests in that room chose to sleep with the winter air.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent three heavenly nights at Hill House in the Flat Iron Suite. David and his staff are wonderful hosts and run a professional operation with personal touches.

If you are looking for a Betty Crocker-type hostess, with a gingham apron, carrying a cherry pie, then you may want to stay somewhere else. This is not your great-aunt's, dusty, attic room, B&B.

Hill House is a beautiful home with lovely and comfortable furnishings. The house and rooms are very clean. The sitting area is comfortable with hot and cold beverages available around the clock and a small refrigerator in the butler's pantry for guests to use. There is a computer available in the sitting room for guests, but a free wireless connection is also available throughout the house.

The three breakfasts we enjoyed were gourmet affairs with fresh, high-quality ingredients. They were soooooo good and David was kind enough to give me the recipe for a dish that I especially enjoyed. He was also kind enough to carry my boyfriend's breakfast upstairs one morning since he didn't make it downstairs in time for breakfast and I have a foot injury. For early risers, there were always muffins, tea and coffee available,

Hill House is in a great location on a quiet street. The B&B is about a quarter mile from a large grocery store, Trader Joes and Dunkin Doughnuts, so there are plenty of options available for coffee, or to grab a snack if you don't feel like going to a restaurant. One rainy day, my boyfriend and I enjoyed sandwiches and fruit in the room made from goodies we picked up at Trader Joes. The B&B is probably a mile or so from Downtown. Asheville, although we didn't try to walk it because of my foot. We never had a problem finding parking, however. Parking is available at Hill House right by the back entrance and we never had a problem finding a spot.

Finally, David let us check out late on our last day since no one was staying in our room the next day. He told us to "take our time".

I wouldn't hesitate to stay an Hill House on my next trip to Asheville. I think it's more appropriate for adults or people with older children.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Flat Iron Suite and it was worth the cost. The suite has it's own heating/cool...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hill_House_Innkeeper, Owner at Hill House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Kristin, It makes us feel good we were able to make your visit so rewarding. Thanks for the kind words.