“Modern, Clean, and Comfortable with Great Location”

Aloft Asheville Downtown
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was our first time staying in an Aloft property. It reminded me of the W in Manhattan with its small rooms. They did a great job optimizing space but it was really tight in the bedroom area. They did a good job expanding space with large widows and frosted glass in the shower wall with the bedroom on the other side of the wall. It allowed light in and we could see the mountains from the shower without giving up privacy.
The sink is a vessel sink with a faucet head that does not stick out far enough. Getting your hands completely under to wash them is pretty difficult. I see this happen often with vessel sinks and it's not a big deal, just amazing that the design was not better executed.
The bathroom door is a sliding door that doesn't create a tight closure which results in lack of privacy there.
The bed was comfortable, there was a refrigerator, an ihome alarm, flat screen TV and plenty of outlets for charging computers and phones.
There is a large terrace around the pool with a fire pit for cold nights. Unfortunately it was not working when we were there. We went to the front terrace where they had stand-up heaters that were pretty useless. There was a two-way fireplace between the lobby area and the terrace and it did put out some nice heat.
The staff was very friendly. Parking is $5/day.
I must say I'm not wild about their cancellation policy. I was told I had to cancel the day before arrival or forfeit full payment. I also had to change my reservation to a day earlier which resulted in my price going up and it didn't include breakfast. The spg rep told me the room rate would go up $200 if we included breakfast. What?! She and I both thought that ridiculous. Not sure she was correct on that, but it sure left me with a not so pleasant feeling.
It is conveniently located. You can get to much of the downtown area on foot including great restaurants.
The rooms on the pool terrace level have no privacy unless you want to keep you draperies closed.
Cancellation policy makes me hesitant to stay here again. My life is not that predicable! If you're sure you'll be able to meet that commitment, it's definitely worth a stay.
Moving to the Indigo tonight as part of a business obligation. Will be an interesting comparison!

Room Tip: Don't stay on pool level unless you have kids that want to take advantage of it and you don'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the aloft for a much needed holiday! It's a very nice hotel. For the most part the staff is extremely nice. Dexter at the front desk and the women who helped us at the cafe were great! Very friendly and helpful! We were moved to a poolside room at check in which we thought would be awesome....eh. Great view, awesome patio area...horrible bass pumping from the speakers ALL NIGHT. We will definitely stay here again but will request a room far away from the pool.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Aloft in Asheville. I have previously stayed a The Grove Park and a couple of different bed and breakfasts. However, I liked the Aloft best for its location and dog-friendliness. It is within walking distance to many great shops and restaurants. It also has a great, fun vibe. My husband and I were very comfortable staying here with our 8 week old son and small dog. We also loved the WXYZ bar and ended up eating there each night since it was so convenient and dog-friendly. We plan to try to plan another trip to the Aloft with friends next year.

Room Tip: We had a mountain view room and it was great for watching the sunset each night. It was also pretty...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our fist stay in an Aloft hotel and we were very pleased. Terrific location and a huge room. Very similar in decor to an Indigo but this was better. Don't miss the coffee shop next door in a remodeled double decker bus. Good coffee and a great spot to people-watch.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I am a Starwood member for 10 years and was excited to get a room at Aloft in Asheville. The staff was friendly upon arrival and then we returned to the hotel from anniversary dinner and non stop music from the band playing in the hotel. I called the front desk and they asked management about it and they stated it would be like this till at least 11pm. I have 2 little kids and let me tell you this is not what a 24 hours escape is like. Also, this hotel was not willing to move me to another room. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Sheadeee
efleishaker, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hi Sheadeee,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your experience with us and thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. I’m pleased you were able to interact with our warm and welcoming staff, but I apologize that they were not able to move you to another room at the time. I would like to investigate further to learn more about your specific situation and the service that our hotel provided so that we can improve our process for the future. Please feel free to contact our General Manager at david.mccartney@aloftashevilledowntown.com to discuss in detail. I hope you had a good anniversary and thank you for celebrating such an important occasion with us!

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the aloft while in ashville. This is my favorite place to stay in Asheville. It's clean and modern and is perfect because it's walking distance to everything! I love the staff there because they are always friendly and helpful. After a long day of exploring the city, we decided to stay in at the Aloft instead of hitting the local bar and have a drink and play pool at the bar in the hotel ,XYZ. I am Looking forward to coming back my next visit.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elena B
efleishaker, Manager at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Hi Elena B,
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We’re happy to hear that our hotel is your favorite place to stay in Asheville and that you enjoyed your time at the W XYZ bar. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Aloft is a nice hotel conveniently located in Downtown Asheville. It's a great value and is only about 5-10 minutes away from Grove Park Inn. It is extremely pet friendly and had nice friendly staff. There are many nice restaurants all in walking distance. Parking was also very reasonable and convenient. If in Asheville we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple