“Provided a Fun Time!”

Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Provided a Fun Time!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I wanted to check out some of the live music we heard so much about and saw a sign outside of this hotel announcing the night's band. It seemed like a cool place so we wandered in and were directed upstairs to the lounge. The vibe was modern yet still down-to-earth. There was a folksy, bluegrass band playing that night which made for a fun and playful night. We listened while we lounged in the comfy chairs and brought it old school by playing Battle Ship! The service was very nice. In fact, when we changed scenery and sat outside on the balcony, we weren't pressured to buy anything. Living in DC, that would never happen. The server asked if we were just hanging out and we nervously said yes. She then said that sounded great and to let her know if we needed anything. She even brought us water without giving us grief. We were sold. By the time we left an hour or two later, it was packed, but the venue provided patrons many different experiences to have from the music lounge to the bar to the outdoor balcony to the game lounge. They also seem dog friendly. We didn't stay here but we certainly enjoyed the amenities!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hi Khyati D,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent visit. I am so glad you enjoyed the bar and outdoor areas. We hope you choose to stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Great hotel especially if you are traveling with your dog. Located walking distance to all downtown activities, shops, restaurants, and breweries. Fantastic staff with strong knowledge of the local area and culture. Room had dog bed and the staff brought a new dog toy and treats upon our arrival. Rooftop dog run was very clean and convenient plus you did not have to leave the hotel to take your dog out late night one early morning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I've stayed at this Aloft several times, primarily because I'm a Starwood member, but this last visit will be it for me. This hotel simply doesn't deliver for the money.

The pluses: great location in Asheville, steps from most everything downtown. Generally friendly and helpful staff. Public areas are modern and pleasant, love the open-air feel when the lobby area is opened to the outside in good weather. Small but serviceable gym. Rooms are generally efficient and comfortable. Filtered water on each floor and carafes in the room. Free wifi in rooms and public spaces. Tasty and inexpensive food for breakfast.

The negatives: rooms are just the typical Aloft layouts; great if you're staying at an Aloft for a couple of nights, say between flights (most Alofts are located near airports, at least in my experience in Portland and Miami). But with the rates charged at the Asheville location, and it's positioning itself as a hip, urban hotel, they just don't cut it. In-wall air conditioning, cheap window shades, which you'll hear being opened and closed, loudly, by your neighbors. Limited space for clothing and luggage. Bath products like you'll find in your everyday gym. The housekeeping verges on the atrocious. I always tip housekeeping generously, but my experience was: poor cleaning (my first room had hair and in the shower and the remains of a band-aid stuck to the wall, half the time towels are not replaced, never had body lotion replaced. Worst of all -- they didn't even clean the drinking glasses in the room -- I ended up using the wrapped plastic cups rather than washing the dirty smeared glass myself.

Aloft is pet friendly, and has carpets. On arrival during my last stay, I changed to gym clothes for a workout, and walked barefoot in my room briefly. My feet and ankles were eaten alive by what I can only suspect were fleas. The room was so dark it was hard to tell. On the plus side, the staff gave me another room immediately without question, though I had to pack and move everything myself. I was given $100 off my stay (which was over $1000 total), but I had to ask for it at checkout.

I travel a lot for business and for pleasure. I stay in Starwood properties often. I just don't get this mix of cheap and hip with high prices and limited service. Seriously, one can stay at the W in San Francisco for these prices. This experience is off-brand and will be my last stay with Starwood when in Asheville.

Room Tip: HIgher floors will be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank tphinsf
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hi tphinsf,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate you recognizing all the positive aspects of our hotel but do apologize on the areas where we did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to share your feedback with our management teams so that these issues can be addressed.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Loved the new Aloft- it's right downtown, never needed the car at all. Wish parking had been free, but other than that it was a great stay. We had a corner room on the top floor with a wall of windows overlooking the mountains. It was very quiet- we never heard anything from other guests or outside. Quality bed - white duvet/linens, feather pillows, excellent mattress. Bathroom was modern and sleek but the shower door leaks & becomes messy -we ahad to use extra towels on the floor to mop up. We also loved the 2nd floor lounge and balcony with tables / chairs overlooking the street & the lit cafes &restaurants at night. Overall, very nice & we'd stay again anytime!

Room Tip: 603 was a quiet corner room on the top floor with a great view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
South Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a very nice stay at the Aloft. Very hip place and interesting decor. Right downtown so you can walk to everything. Great restaurants all around the location. Parking is included in your stay and right next door in the garage. You are a quick drive to the Biltmore if you want to go there. Good breakfast. Very dog friendly. You are definitely in the middle of the city - so city noise was present. Didn't hear anything until morning time. We were on the back side of the hotel - so there were some trash trucks and other noises. Also heard the neighbors raising their shades right before I got out of bed, but overall not too noisy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 5, 2013

If you are looking for a good nights sleep, you may want to look elsewhere. We stayed on a busy Saturday night. Our room was on the street side which didn't help as we could hear sirens and loud car and motorcycle sounds. You wouldn't think Asheville could be so noisy.
BUT it turns out that The Aloft Hotel also like to make their own noise. A DJ was spinning in the bar and it was unbelievably loud!

I also do not think that this hotel is worth the high price. It is modern "bare bones". We personally did not value the cool factor enough to rate this a good value.

1 Thank traversity
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hi traversity,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. I apologize that the noise level did not allow for a restful night. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is a nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay. It's within walking distance of downtown Asheville and all the shopping and restaurants. It has a nice modern bar, lounge and restaurant. Parking is onsite/garage for $5/day. It's very easy to drive and the Biltmore estate and village is only a short 10 minute drive down the street. Very dog friendly.

The only complaint is that the shower door leaked.

Room Tip: Rooms that face Biltmore avenue can be noisy