“Tres Cool - ALoft My new Favorite!”

Aloft Asheville Downtown
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We just returned after a four day get-away to the ALoft Asheville! Location is in the middle of the downtown Arts and shopping district.

The views from our 3rd floor Cabana room were great, and the pool deck with fireplaces just topped off the fabulous weather this Thanksgiving weekend. Best of all we have found a new favorite hotel that embraces our four legged kids! They loved the plush dog beds and the special dog turf/run for the late night relief was an added bonus to both the kids and mom and dad!

Did I say it was cool? The rooms are very modern and minimalist, yet we were cozy and comfortable. The beds were fabulous and we napped with the door to the patio open and brisk breeze blowing!

We watched the sun up and sun downs from the beautiful patio balcony with special fire pit for warmth. The cabana rooms and bar would make for a special get away in warmer times! I'd return in a heartbeat! The only thing that could have made things better would have been a hot tub!

The second floor reception was alive with activities and families playing board games and pool near the comfy chairs and seats around the fire place. The bar allowed for some nice cocktails and permitted the kids to enjoy themselves, as well! The first floor lobby area was a tad confusing, but once we realized the writing on the black board directed us to go to the second floor lobby, we were set! Customer service was impeccable. We tend to wake very early and needed a refill of coffee, which the night manager kindly took care of for us! We had breakfast at the food nook which was tasty and quick!

As someone else posted, this is not your conventional hotel, but something way more exciting and cool! This hotel would be suitable for couples, as well as families! Moreover, we reward hotels that treat dogs as well as they do their customers! Molly and GW say, Thank You, ALoft!

Room Tip: Snag a cabana room on the third floor!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CatherineHarris, General Manager at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Karen B,

Wow thank you so much for such a wonderful review about your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let the world know about how "Cool" we are... I must agree with you that our views are breathtaking from Air Level. Our four legged guests are very special to us when they get to stay, I must say we love to give them the royal treatment with their own bed, food & water bowls, and a special treat when they arrive. Come back to Asheville soon and tell your friends about us... Thank you again and have a wonderful week.

There are newer reviews for Aloft Asheville Downtown

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband I recently were there in late October for our week long fall vacation. The hotel surpassed our expectations. We had the city view on the 3rd floor. Our room was beautiful! The only downer was limited drawer space for clothes. Aside from that, no complaints. The entire staff did a great job of welcoming us! There is a Starbucks and bar conveniently located on the 2nd floor; making it a great place to unwind. Although chilly, the rooftop makes for excellent people watching [the heaters outside are an added bonus, so is the fireplace]. Also, you couldn't ask for a better location. I would advise people that consider going that isn't a traditional hotel. I think its great that the Aloft thinks out of the box. It might be more laid back, but provides quality customer service. I hope to return here in the future. Bravo, ALOFT!!

Room Tip: 3rd Floor has a great city view and offers quick access to the pool
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wanttoseetheworld247
CatherineHarris, General Manager at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear wanttoseetheworld247,

My name is Catherine Harris and I am the General Manager for the Aloft Asheville Downtown. Thank you so much for taking the time to say such Great things about your experience during your stay with us. It is our goal to provide all of our guests with the same experience you had. We too hope to see you again soon in Asheville, we value you as our guest and strive to be your number one hotel choice when visiting Asheville. If I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly catherine.harris@aloftashevilledowntown.com. Thank you again and safe travels as you see the world....

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Nice new hotel, trendy typical Aloft. Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. I read some previous comments and have to disagree about the Staff. Everyone from front desk, to snack bar attendants to bar staff late at night extremely cooperative and professional. Rooms are nice, good views over the city or mountains. Situated handily in the downtown close walking to many fine restaurants. Overall a great 4 day stay experience in the Aloft Asheville.

Room Tip: Ask for a montain view room

Dear John W,

My name is Catherine Harris and I am the General Manager for the Aloft Asheville Downtown. I am thrilled to read and share your wonderful comments about our great Talent from the Front Desk, Re:Fresh, Re:Fuel, and W xyz. All of our talent enjoy's meeting and hearing from our very valued guests. We strive to provide the best service which is our number one goal. We do hope you will return again soon and we thank you for the time you took to leave us a great review on Trip Advisor. If I may ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to call me at 828-232-2838 or email me at catherine.harris@aloftashevilledowntown.com. Thank you again and safe travels.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

You know what they say --- "location location location". What they should say, however is "excitation, excitation, excitation". And that's what sets the aloft Hotel in Asheville North Carolina apart from others. It's fun! The colors are vibrant The staff is young and upbeat, and there's life in the lobby. And PLUS, they have location. Many locals eat here and stay, and that's a good sign. It's within easy walking distance to some of the best restaurants in town. Parking? No problem. The garage is right in the rear of the hotel making it totally accessible, and --- cheap! $5.00 The street is active. I watched the annual holiday parade from the outdoor patio with other guests, locals, and dogs. I chose to stay two additional nights rather than switch to the Grand Bohemian, as I'm a bit tired of boring, stuffy stays.Oh, did I say it's affordable? Yes, very!!!

Room Tip: Corner Suites are fab.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AmericanPsy

Dear drpsych_californa,

My name is Catherine Harris and I am the General Manager for the Aloft Asheville Downtown. Thank you so much for your Fabulous review about our hotel, we love to hear from our guests and appreciate the time you took to tell the world about your stay with us.

I am so glad you had the opportunity to watch the Annual Holiday Parade in Asheville from the LEDGE... the LEDGE.. is a great place located right off of our second floor to do some great people watching on Biltmore Avenue, hang out, and have a few drinks with great food from our W xyz Lounge...

We want our guests to experience Asheville when coming to the Aloft Asheville Downtown so we made sure to add the local artists work and even offer local snacks in our Market as this is what Asheville is all about...

We do hope you come back soon and please tell your friends. Again thank you for taking the time to leave your review and we look forward to hosting you again in Asheville. Enjoy your day and safe travels.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Median age of employees - probably 23. Lots of glitz; no substance.

We spent several days online researching places to stay in Asheville, NC such that we might have a fabulous 10th anniversary weekend. We decided on a suite at Aloft vs. a cabin to ourselves such that we could more easily enjoy the diverse shopping and dining options downtown Asheville offers. The photos of a corner suite with large soaking tub and modern amenities looked very appealing.

Waste of time and effort #1.
The first sign that Aloft (and its Starwood owners) might have more salesmanship than real capability at hospitality or accommodation was that online booking was not working. Of course, there is no indication of any problems with it until after you have gone completely through the process of inputting all your billing information. After trying this several times over 2 or 3 days I finally called the Starwood reservations line and booked a corner suite for two nights at a AAA rate of $269.10/night. Incidentally, this was the same rate for a prepaid reservation of this room online.

#2
Upon arriving in the city and seeing the bustling location of the hotel, we were excited and looking forward to settling in. As we walked in to the sparse lobby (its predominant feature is a 60 foot chalkboard complete with somewhat random postings) and up to the check-in desk, we had to wait to be helped while the only attendant listened to an off-duty employee complain about some recent work related issue. Once we had his attention, the check in attendant informed us that we had been bumped from our corner suite due to "overbooking and package deals." What? "Oh, but the King Pool Cabana room is just the same and we've discounted it to $169 a night." Private access to a pool in Asheville mid-November isn't really a selling point. We took the room key and went to have a look. If I were in my early 20s on spring break with my friends, this room might have been ok. But now, a king bed looking out to a pool (and where anyone at the pool looks into your bedroom) is not cool. Besides, we booked a suite (about 750 square feet) so this Cabana special with all of its 250 square feet of room was cramped to say the least.

#3
We called the front desk (apparently on the 2nd floor vs. the check in station we experienced earlier) and explained that this would not suffice, and we would be checking out. We asked to speak to a manager and proceeded to the 2nd floor desk. The elevator doors opened into a very noisy bar-like room with a circular station in the middle. We walked up to the station and were greeted and passed on to the "Guest Services Manager" who was all of 25 and dressed in what appeared to be a sweatshirt. She proceeded to explain that "a guest chose to extend their stay, thus bumping us. It happens occasionally." I asked if they had my phone number in their system and she saw that they did. She conceded that they should have called me. She then asked if there was anything else she could do. ANY experience in the hospitality industry might have allowed her to realize that two people arriving at a hotel probably need a place to stay. And, having booked a suite, we weren't looking for a standard room. So I asked her to find a comparable room for us downtown. She called Hotel Indigo and held one of their suites for us, however it was not available for two nights. So we will have to find other accommodations for our second night. "Sorry" was her response (as well as her level of managerial achievement).

#4
Upon arriving at Hotel Indigo we're informed that Aloft has no intention of paying the difference in cost or anything for the inconvenience their poorly managed hotel has caused us. No chance that Aloft or probably any in the Starwood family (Sheraton, Westin, W, etc.) will be on my list ever again.

9  Thank Jane B
CatherineHarris, General Manager at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Jane B,

My name is Catherine Harris and I am the General Manager for the Aloft Asheville Downtown. First of all thank you for taking the time to complete your review online as I know how time consuming these can be.

Secondly, I would like to sincerely apologize to you for the issues you experienced upon your arrival to the Aloft Asheville Downtown. We do sincerely apologize to you that the room type you originally reserved was not available upon your arrival. After reviewing your comments I would love the opportunity to personally speak with you on the phone, you can reach me at 828.232.2838. I want you to know that your concerns are my concerns and I will make sure to review each with our talent so this does not happen again.

It is our goal to provide the best service for all of our guests staying at the Aloft Asheville Downtown, and because you did not have this same experience we strive for we sincerely apologize to you. You are a very valued guest and we greatly appreciate your business. I do hope to have the opportunity to speak directly with you and make things right with you as our guest.

Again, Jane B I do appreciate your time and hope you have a wonderful day and safe travels.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for two nights and had a great time. All of the staff were very friendly and the room was exceptional. We stayed in a mountain view room overlooking the pool. The only issue with this room was that the sun was almost unbearable from 4-6:30 if you tried to open the curtain. The beds were as comfortable as anywhere we have stayed. The fire pit and dancing flames patio heaters around the were lit at night. This was a cool spot to have a few drinks before dinner. The hotel is within a short walking distance to most of the top rated dinner spots in town.

If you read the responses from the General Manager, Catherine, you will see this place is working to make everyone's stay exceptional.

We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bigfisn
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I just spent two nights at the new Aloft in Asheville, stayed in a room faced the swimming pool and with a view of the mountains. Enjoyed of our stay in the Aloft.
The Aloft is hip, contemporary, urban style hotel. Flat-screen TV, mini-fridge, in-room safe deposit box with security lock. For a fee $5/night you will park your car at the public parking garage (direct access to the hotel lobby). The Aloft is pet friendly hotel with a pet walk area near the swimming pool deck (3rd floor). I like the fact that check out is 12:00 PM (not 11 AM as a lot of hotels offer). The Aloft Wxyz bar, overlooking Biltmore Ave (doors that open to an outside balcony), is a hotspot, full of hotel guests and locals.
The Aloft has an excellent location in downtown Asheville: walking distance to everything that Asheville has to offer. Across the street is a City Bakery cafe for a nice breakfast (good coffee and pastries). There are a wine store next door to the hotel with a very good wine selection; Barley's brew pub (across the street), opened until 2 am, live entertainment; the Orange Peel (three minutes to walk), it is a music venue, in 2008 was named one of the top five music venues in America by Rolling Stone magazine.
The only negative thing I have to say: a little expensive for the weekend stay, but good rate for the weekdays stay.

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool and had a view of the mountains, quieter than facing the street