“A "find"”

Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
California
“A "find"”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

You know what they say --- "location location location". What they should say, however is "excitation, excitation, excitation". And that's what sets the aloft Hotel in Asheville North Carolina apart from others. It's fun! The colors are vibrant The staff is young and upbeat, and there's life in the lobby. And PLUS, they have location. Many locals eat here and stay, and that's a good sign. It's within easy walking distance to some of the best restaurants in town. Parking? No problem. The garage is right in the rear of the hotel making it totally accessible, and --- cheap! $5.00 The street is active. I watched the annual holiday parade from the outdoor patio with other guests, locals, and dogs. I chose to stay two additional nights rather than switch to the Grand Bohemian, as I'm a bit tired of boring, stuffy stays.Oh, did I say it's affordable? Yes, very!!!

Room Tip: Corner Suites are fab.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AmericanPsy
CatherineHarris, General Manager at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear drpsych_californa,

My name is Catherine Harris and I am the General Manager for the Aloft Asheville Downtown. Thank you so much for your Fabulous review about our hotel, we love to hear from our guests and appreciate the time you took to tell the world about your stay with us.

I am so glad you had the opportunity to watch the Annual Holiday Parade in Asheville from the LEDGE... the LEDGE.. is a great place located right off of our second floor to do some great people watching on Biltmore Avenue, hang out, and have a few drinks with great food from our W xyz Lounge...

We want our guests to experience Asheville when coming to the Aloft Asheville Downtown so we made sure to add the local artists work and even offer local snacks in our Market as this is what Asheville is all about...

We do hope you come back soon and please tell your friends. Again thank you for taking the time to leave your review and we look forward to hosting you again in Asheville. Enjoy your day and safe travels.

In Hospitality,
Catherine Harris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Median age of employees - probably 23. Lots of glitz; no substance.

We spent several days online researching places to stay in Asheville, NC such that we might have a fabulous 10th anniversary weekend. We decided on a suite at Aloft vs. a cabin to ourselves such that we could more easily enjoy the diverse shopping and dining options downtown Asheville offers. The photos of a corner suite with large soaking tub and modern amenities looked very appealing.

Waste of time and effort #1.
The first sign that Aloft (and its Starwood owners) might have more salesmanship than real capability at hospitality or accommodation was that online booking was not working. Of course, there is no indication of any problems with it until after you have gone completely through the process of inputting all your billing information. After trying this several times over 2 or 3 days I finally called the Starwood reservations line and booked a corner suite for two nights at a AAA rate of $269.10/night. Incidentally, this was the same rate for a prepaid reservation of this room online.

#2
Upon arriving in the city and seeing the bustling location of the hotel, we were excited and looking forward to settling in. As we walked in to the sparse lobby (its predominant feature is a 60 foot chalkboard complete with somewhat random postings) and up to the check-in desk, we had to wait to be helped while the only attendant listened to an off-duty employee complain about some recent work related issue. Once we had his attention, the check in attendant informed us that we had been bumped from our corner suite due to "overbooking and package deals." What? "Oh, but the King Pool Cabana room is just the same and we've discounted it to $169 a night." Private access to a pool in Asheville mid-November isn't really a selling point. We took the room key and went to have a look. If I were in my early 20s on spring break with my friends, this room might have been ok. But now, a king bed looking out to a pool (and where anyone at the pool looks into your bedroom) is not cool. Besides, we booked a suite (about 750 square feet) so this Cabana special with all of its 250 square feet of room was cramped to say the least.

#3
We called the front desk (apparently on the 2nd floor vs. the check in station we experienced earlier) and explained that this would not suffice, and we would be checking out. We asked to speak to a manager and proceeded to the 2nd floor desk. The elevator doors opened into a very noisy bar-like room with a circular station in the middle. We walked up to the station and were greeted and passed on to the "Guest Services Manager" who was all of 25 and dressed in what appeared to be a sweatshirt. She proceeded to explain that "a guest chose to extend their stay, thus bumping us. It happens occasionally." I asked if they had my phone number in their system and she saw that they did. She conceded that they should have called me. She then asked if there was anything else she could do. ANY experience in the hospitality industry might have allowed her to realize that two people arriving at a hotel probably need a place to stay. And, having booked a suite, we weren't looking for a standard room. So I asked her to find a comparable room for us downtown. She called Hotel Indigo and held one of their suites for us, however it was not available for two nights. So we will have to find other accommodations for our second night. "Sorry" was her response (as well as her level of managerial achievement).

#4
Upon arriving at Hotel Indigo we're informed that Aloft has no intention of paying the difference in cost or anything for the inconvenience their poorly managed hotel has caused us. No chance that Aloft or probably any in the Starwood family (Sheraton, Westin, W, etc.) will be on my list ever again.

9 Thank Jane B
CatherineHarris, General Manager at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Jane B,

My name is Catherine Harris and I am the General Manager for the Aloft Asheville Downtown. First of all thank you for taking the time to complete your review online as I know how time consuming these can be.

Secondly, I would like to sincerely apologize to you for the issues you experienced upon your arrival to the Aloft Asheville Downtown. We do sincerely apologize to you that the room type you originally reserved was not available upon your arrival. After reviewing your comments I would love the opportunity to personally speak with you on the phone, you can reach me at 828.232.2838. I want you to know that your concerns are my concerns and I will make sure to review each with our talent so this does not happen again.

It is our goal to provide the best service for all of our guests staying at the Aloft Asheville Downtown, and because you did not have this same experience we strive for we sincerely apologize to you. You are a very valued guest and we greatly appreciate your business. I do hope to have the opportunity to speak directly with you and make things right with you as our guest.

Again, Jane B I do appreciate your time and hope you have a wonderful day and safe travels.

In Hospitality,
Catherine Harris
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for two nights and had a great time. All of the staff were very friendly and the room was exceptional. We stayed in a mountain view room overlooking the pool. The only issue with this room was that the sun was almost unbearable from 4-6:30 if you tried to open the curtain. The beds were as comfortable as anywhere we have stayed. The fire pit and dancing flames patio heaters around the were lit at night. This was a cool spot to have a few drinks before dinner. The hotel is within a short walking distance to most of the top rated dinner spots in town.

If you read the responses from the General Manager, Catherine, you will see this place is working to make everyone's stay exceptional.

We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bigfisn
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I just spent two nights at the new Aloft in Asheville, stayed in a room faced the swimming pool and with a view of the mountains. Enjoyed of our stay in the Aloft.
The Aloft is hip, contemporary, urban style hotel. Flat-screen TV, mini-fridge, in-room safe deposit box with security lock. For a fee $5/night you will park your car at the public parking garage (direct access to the hotel lobby). The Aloft is pet friendly hotel with a pet walk area near the swimming pool deck (3rd floor). I like the fact that check out is 12:00 PM (not 11 AM as a lot of hotels offer). The Aloft Wxyz bar, overlooking Biltmore Ave (doors that open to an outside balcony), is a hotspot, full of hotel guests and locals.
The Aloft has an excellent location in downtown Asheville: walking distance to everything that Asheville has to offer. Across the street is a City Bakery cafe for a nice breakfast (good coffee and pastries). There are a wine store next door to the hotel with a very good wine selection; Barley's brew pub (across the street), opened until 2 am, live entertainment; the Orange Peel (three minutes to walk), it is a music venue, in 2008 was named one of the top five music venues in America by Rolling Stone magazine.
The only negative thing I have to say: a little expensive for the weekend stay, but good rate for the weekdays stay.

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool and had a view of the mountains, quieter than facing the street
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Let's start by saying that Aloft hotels are not for everyone. While I would assume their target group is some what younger than we are, (retirees) we love them. However, those who are looking for a very traditional type hotel might be disappointed. The great - beds, flat panel tv, shower, bathroom set up, welcoming of pets, service, staff and great lobby, bar and social areas. The off putting to some - no formal closet, modest seating in the rooms, no restaurant (however basic food service is available). The above is an over view of Aloft hotels in general. As to this one in particular, the social areas were a big cut above the others we have stayed in, including a pool table. The outdoor roof area, which included cabanas, fire pit, pool, dog walk, and lots of tables and seating was fantastic. Just a great in-city hotel. Now to some nit picking - there is a parking garage, and parking is $5.00 per day. Not a big deal but tell people in advance there is a garage and advise them to park there prior to trying to check in. Checking in is confusing - in the small lobby off the street or coming in from the garage there is an "easy check in desk" - however it is not staffed. So now what - oh yeah, go to the second floor - which you have to figure out for yourself. Once there, check in is painless. In summary, this is one of the best Aloft's we have stayed in and would certainly stay there again when in Asheville. The city is alive as an arts center and the hotel is located adjacent to that.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are $10.00/night more than city. Unless you have to see mountains when you wake...
3 Thank cccruisemaster
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Loved Aloft! Really happy with room size--I stayed with 3 other room and there was ample room for all of us and our stuff. Beautiful pool with outdoor gas firepits, great bar area, coffee and decor. I really loved the location, right near Orange Peel if you're seeing a show! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Aloft Hotel is located in the heart of downtown Asheville which is ideal for those wanting to explore the city and surrounding area.
It is however a little quirky and I'd describe the rooms as European in style - being very similar in decor etc to a number of Ibis hotels I've stayed at in Europe. This isn't a negative comment, just an observation.
The breakfast at the hotel (not included in the room rate) is expensive and not very good. Luckily there are a lot of good places in easy walking distance where you can get a better quality breakfast at a lower price, so check them out.Similarly drinks at the bar are expensive.
One small negative is parking which cost $6 per day. With the prices Aloft charges for their rooms they should include the parking FOC.

This was my first stay at an Aloft Hotel. Based on this experience I would stay at other hotels in the same group.