“RUN AWAY!!! FAST!!!”

Rodeway Inn & Suites near Outlet Mall - Asheville
Ranked #59 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Let me start by saying that we have stayed in this hotel in the past and were satisfied. We are not picky people and realize that we're staying in a discount hotel, so we don't expect 5 star accommodations. (our rate this trip was $75/night) However, this last stay (9/12) was the worst hotel experience in our 30 years of marriage. Everything was fine at check-in, the room was ok, bathroom was ok, although the tile grout was black and disgusting. We stayed 2 nights and on the morning we were to leave, my husband did a thorough search of the room, looking for anything we might have left behind, and to our shock and horror, right between the bed and night stand, was a used condom!!! Yes, that's right. My husband had been sleeping for 2 nights with his head not 3 feet from someone's disgusting used condom!!

We quickly gathered our things and went down to the front desk. I told the clerk (Caitlin), what we had discovered and she immediately went into a robotic state, saying things like, "Yes, that is gross, I guess the cleaning people missed it, I'm sorry." I waited for her to offer me something to make the situation better, (which, let's face it, what can make finding a used condom in your room better?), and instead she just kept looking at me with her eyes bugged out. I then said, "Aren't you even going to offer me some kind of compensation? Now, you will not believe her answer.....She said, "Well, you didn't ask for one". WHAT??? Shouldn't the clerk try to rectify the situation??? You mean the customer has to ask for money back when they find a used condom in their room??

There is a sign up stating that the manager on duty was someone named Scott. I asked to speak to him and am told that he isn't there. Great. Now I'm really upset and suddenly Caitlin has a snippy attitude. She says she can give me the "discount" rate of $39.99/night. So that means we get to pay $80 for the privilege of sleeping next to a used condom. Wonderful! I get the general manager's email address, wait for my "discount" and quickly leave. I tell the wonderful Caitlin that maybe next time someone finds that they've shared a room with someone else's used condom, (and I have no doubt that there will be a next time) that she may want to offer compensation BEFORE the guest has to ask.

Later in the day, I email the general manager and get a quick response from him. He apologizes, and offers me 2 nights stay at any of his 3 hotels in Asheville (if I call him in advance). OMG, No thanks....I'd rather sleep in my car. Please, do yourself a favor and stay somewhere, anywhere but this place!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MyKittyCache

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My first impression at this hotel was bad. Carpets are dirty and the hallways are dark and forbidding. The room was cleaner, but the sink faucet head came off in my hand. Sheets, extremely old, thin, and clingy. Ratty old blanket. Couldn't adjust the air conditioner. As I tossed and turned, I wished I had not been lured in by the cheapest hotel rate in the area.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank jeanforrister
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Terrible. Absolutely awful. Don't even slow down. Dirty, smelly, terribly maintained. The staff was not friendly and not helpful. We paid for the room and then decided it wasn't worth it. We paid $100 for the night and then walked out.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Diedre D
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My Husband and I reserved a room here as a stopping point on our way to the east coast. We arrived rather late and did not realize until after lugging our bags to the room how disgusting the hotel was. I did not expect luxury for $68 but I did expect a clean room. The bathroom was filthy. Mold on ceiling, Faucets were corroded, Hair and Grime on bathroom floors. Holes in wall. Blood splatters on wall and holes in carpet. Horrible.

If it hadn't been so late and we weren't so tired we would have searched for a decent room.

The evening female clerk was polite but the morning male clerk was very rude. Did not acknowledge us as we were leaving at all. Kind of scary that he didn't seem to care who was coming and going into the hotel at all.

I wrote letter RODEWAY. no response as of yet. I am attaching photos!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The Motel was advertised with new renovated rooms, which was true. The beds were very comfortable and the room was small but adequate. New flat screen TV was a nice addition and Micro and Fidge in the room was a big plus.

Front Desk Staff were gracious and helpful when I asked for additonal pillows, I got them immediately. Could not have been more pleased with the staff and service.

The two main drawbacks I must report is the lack of space for the advertised "Continental Breakfast" and the food that was served. I am a diabetic, the "breakfast" consisted of a box of donuts, orange juice and coffee. You were welcome to "Purchase" additional breakfast items, but the were not included in the "free" breakfast. As a frequent traveler, when a Motel advertises breakfast, I have come to expect more than a box of donuts and coffee/juice. Of course, I was unable to partake of this breakfast. I did get two cups of coffee and returned to my room to drink them as there is no seating.

Again, staff was wonderful, room was adequate, but was very disappointed in the breakfast. Hopefully this will be rectified in the near future.

Room Tip: All are inside entry rooms, which is a plus. Our room was first on the right after entry. Kind of...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The rooms have microwaves and refrig. Room are comfortable and very clean. It is close to downtown

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband's company booked a room for him, here. When he checked in, apparently the room was put in the corporate name. Nobody ever asked his name, or for his car info. For the past month, his car has been in their parking lot 4 nights a week. But this week, some idiot at the front desk felt he should have it towed!

The fact the vehicle was repeatedly in their parking lot for a month should have said: Employee or Reoccurring Guest! That's a no-brainer. It's winter, for godsake. How many reoccurring guests could they have? They could've looked through guest files & seen that no auto was down for that corporate guest. But, nooooooooooo. They just got it towed. That left my husband, out-of-state ... scrambling to call others at his company to get a lift ... track down his car, etc.!!!

To Business Travelers & Tourists ... Asheville has been tow-happy for over a year. They say that the downtown area is the worst. But, obviously, even the hotels are now getting involved!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business