“Diamond in thenRough”

Add it.
Mirch Masala
Ranked #630 of 830 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Authentic home style indian cooking all meals are prepared fresh which include seafood, grilled dishes and vegan dishes.Play area for kids no smoking no alcohol served family type enviroment.
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My wife and I ate lunch at Mirch Masala on a dreary Sunday. It is hard to find as it is actually inside Cintoms Custard Shop. If you were not specifically looking for this Indian restaurant you would never find it. I had never heard of it, but when I asked Siri in my iPhone for Indian restaurants in Asheville, it was listed. Upon entering, we were tempted to turn around and leave. This is clearly an ice cream parlor with kid- oriented decor. It appears that the owner of the ice cream shop has allowed his friend to prepare Indian food in his litchen. That was a good decision my friends. To start, the Indian owner brought us some spicy Papadum, it was sublime. We ordered Samosas and they were spectacular, definitely the best in Asheville. The entrees were Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Bhoti. Both were outstanding. The Tikka is different than the norm, it was not tomato soupy, in fact it was almost like an Indian Jerk chicken. Both dishes were obviously made a la minute. The Basmati rice was just okay. If you are lookijg for good fod and nkt a dining experience, you must try this place. If you want the whole experience, the Mela is a better choice. This is all about the food.

3  Thank iamstoked22
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I've only been to one Indian restaurant in my life, always shying away from them believing I didn't like the food, but knowing I don't like the smell of curry in large doses.

One of my favorite places in Asheville, CinTom's Frozen Custard started to share it's space with an Indian couple who started cooking homestyle Indian food, or as they call it "Authentic Home Style Punjabi Cooking". At first, I was taken back by the combination and had no intentions of ordering Indian food, I knew I was strictly there for the frozen custard. Each time I went in I hoped it wouldn't smell like curry, which it never did.

Each time we went in the Indian couple would ask if we knew they were serving Indian food in there now, which I replied "Yes, I know." He invited us to look at the menu, which to me, could have looked like giberish, words of foods and dishes that seemed foreign to me. That was until one item caught my eye - SAMOSAS. I had remembered while living in Miami my sister would order these from a local take-out restaurant and offered me to try them, and I really liked them. That and Naan were the only things I recognized on the menu, okay, soft drinks - that was a freebie.

You could see the gentleman just wants you to try his food so badly and after having our frozen custard, decided it must be backwards day - I placed an order for the Samosas to go. We took our samosas and went out to the car, ready to drive back all the way to Greenville (SC) but opened the box to see what they looked like. Couldn't resist the smell, we had to take a bite-we didn't leave the parking lot until they were gone, and they were DELICIOUS! We even thought about going back in and ordering more but said "next time" as they make them fresh to order and we didn't have time to wait just then.

Fast forward a few weeks, we were in Hendersonville and knew a trip to CinTom's was a given and figured we'd try something from the menu since the samosas were so good last time.

I ordered the samosas (again) and my friends shared the Chicken Boti, 2 skewers of boneless chicken marinated in ginger, garlic, and limed juice then grilled. All were very good. My only complaint, which I told the gentleman was that I think the samosas are a little on the small side for the price and could be bigger, or reduce the price. The samosas come with a tamarind type of dipping sauce which is wonderful. While we were there a couple with their two kids who also had just eaten custard asked us how the food was and they too ended up ordering food and eating it there - and loved it!

I ordered some food to take home to my husband. I ordered him the Chicken Boti, an order os samosas and Ghobi Aloo Masala which is cauliflower & potatoes cooked in ginger masala. Making a stop along the way home and getting back in to the car, let's just say from the smell alone he's lucky the food made it back to him, the car smelled wonderful and it left us wanting more.

The food has a little bite, but not being one who really cares for spicy food, I didn't find it too overpowering or to the point of it not being edible without trying to find something to wash away the heat. The only thing I didn't care for was the "salad" which is plain chopped cabbage. I didn't know what to do with it.

The menu is just a one-sided 8x11 page and everything is basically ala cart, if you want naan, or rice it's extra, but for the most part, the prices seem to be reasonable, there's actually nothing priced over $6.99, with the majority of the foods being $4.99. It wasn't until after I got home I noticed at the top of the page they have a platter for $6.99 that includes one item from their grilled dishes, vegetable or dal of the day, basmati rice pulav, roti or naan, raita, and salad. I wish he would have pointed that out, or suggested it as I'd gotten that, but there's always a next time, and there will be a next time for sure.

If you decide to give this place a try do check the hours. Even though CinToms is open only certain days and hours depending on the season, they are there, but I don't know how their hours are, so do call ahead. They also said, even if the custard place is technically closed, if they are there, they can serve you custard too.

Kill two birds with one stone and take advantage of having both great places in one location.
If you are from out of town, it's VERY close to the Biltmore House and Biltmore Village, just a few minutes south of there and really, worth the drive.

5  Thank Debelli