“Great cocktails, interesting food - TripAdvisor has location wrong”
Review of The Magnetic Field - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Magnetic Field
Cuisines: American
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great cocktails, interesting food - TripAdvisor has location wrong”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Too bad TripAdvisor has the Magnetic Field listed as being in "Depot St., NC" instead of in Asheville, at 372 Depot Street in the River Arts District, where it actually is located.

Magnetic Field is one of the newer River Arts District spots, and still a generally undiscovered gem. The restaurant and bar adjoin a little 64-seat theater, which presents alternative drama, comedy nights and poetry slams.

We had what were described as the two most popular dishes on the menu -- Flat Iron Steak and Shrimp and Grits -- and they were up to the highest standards of Ashevlle. My Flat Iron Steak, with gnochi, chanterelle mushrooms, greens and heirloom tomatoes in a cabernet sauce ($18), was absolutely delicious. My wife's Shrimp and Grits with a gumbo sauce ($14) was perhaps a little light on the shrimp (just four) but the sauce was outstanding -- she said it was among the best she has had.

The new cocktail menu is creative, with unusual offerings such as three kinds of Old Fashioneds and the Ernest Hemingway Daiquiri (with grapefruit juice). Cocktail prices are reasonable -- generally $7 and $8. Local craft beers on draft are $4.

Our dinner with a total of four drinks and a shared ice cream dessert came to around $85 with tip and tax, in the range of other Asheville restaurants of this quality.

We'll definitely go back!

• Visited August 2012

Asheville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unfriendly management plague this place”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Unfortunately, I really want to love this place. I love the idea of a restaurant and theatre combination for Asheville.

I loved going here and have had many friends involved with productions. The problem is immense pressure placed on folks involved with this theatre to attend their productions. I guess one way to sustain your business is to pressure and threaten people to attend your shows but in a city like Asheville--there's a lot of competition and a few good theatre producing organizations.

I have decided that I won't be returning until friendlier faces overtake the business.

• Visited March 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, reasonable prices & friendly staff”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The feel is a modern arts bar. There is a small adjoining theatre. The shrimp & grits and crab cakes were great. Food was fresh and excellent.

1 Thank Grt2bsec
Asheville, North Carolina
“Food is spot on--theater is spotty!”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This was our third time to the Magnetic Field. As an entertainment venue it has a lot to offer: a varied bill of performances, easy parking and excellent food which you can enjoy right up until you walk through the door into the attached theater. And I have to admit that it is the food which keeps us coming back. The menu is limited but changes seasonally. Dishes are creative without being weird, portion sizes are reasonable as are the prices. And did I mention the food is yummy? The theater brings in a number of fringe acts and comedy. Twice we have been entertained, once we walked out at intermission. This last time we saw an improv group which had us laughing all the way home. But at ten dollars a ticket--it's not a risky purchase!

• Visited November 2011
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Funky place, very casual, gourmet food”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I had read a review and went to the arts district of Asheville to find this restaurant/theater comb. Unfortunately for me, I went at 4:30 in the afternoon before the full dinner menu was available. No problem, I got a chicken sandwich to die for. It was the sandwich version of the dinner meal. Probably the best chicken sandwich I ever had. (that's saying something) There is a full theater in the restaurant that I had heard good things about. People were coming in and buying tickets for the evening performance while I was there. I wish I could have had the full experience, it sure looked like fun. The staff was friendly and there was even outdoor seating if you wanted (not much of a view though). I would go again if ever in the area, but I would try to do the theater too.

• Visited September 2011