“A real novelty” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack

Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack
Ranked #48 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Five Points
Description: Serving deliriously good fried chicken and southern soul food, Rocky's prepares "hot" chicken with the spice level any way you like it from plain to extra hot. Using natural birds and quality ingredients in our made-from-scratch recipes, we offer delicious American classics like mac and cheese, corn pudding, and collard greens among many more. Mouthwatering desserts include banana pudding and coca cola cake. We make everything fresh, in small batches, for a difference you can taste!
“A real novelty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We all have heard of those little novelty restaurant that you just need to try. This is one. Don't get me wrong, the chicken was good. Then there's the BUT. At ordering, I wasn't informed that the breast I just ordered was out, then the wrong sauce was used. Be sure to let them know "no Lowry's season salt." When you order sides, ask for a sample first. The collards were over seasoned. It had the pork fat but then a lot of salt. Could even eat them. Ounce I removed the overly too spicy skin, I was able to enjoy the juicy well cooked chicken. I would question the ten dollars for a chicken breast. Nevertheless, as a novelty give it a try. It's a whole lot better than the other guys.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Raleigh,NC
“Amazing! You must eat here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

My young daughter and I were visiting Asheville for the night. She is a picky eater. Chicken tenders and fries. So I searched Tripadvisor for a place that had that, but also something cool I would like to eat. I love to eat/support local places and not chain restaurants. Found this listing and decided to try it. When I went to their Facebook page and saw that on Tuesdays if you have a tattoo and show it to them you get 10% off your order. DONE! The staff is very friendly and the gal at the cash register asked everyone that walked in if it was their first visit. If it was she explained which farm the chicken came from (they have a chalkboard listing all the local places the food and beer comes from) and that everything on the menu is from scratch except the french fries and fried pickle chips. I got a chicken breast on a waffle with the three cheese mac poppers (their mac and cheese rolled into balls and fried) and the sweet potato casserole. I was amazed at how much food I got. I had some take home boxes. My daughter loved her chicken tender (they only give the kids one because it is half of a HUGE chicken breast) and fries. Love love love that they support an arts center in town where adults with developmental disabilities can create art. They have paintings of chickens from these artists for sale for $20 each. We bought one because they are so cool. All are one of a kind and support the artist and the arts program! So look up when you are standing in line ready to order and pick out a piece you want to buy!

Asheville, NC
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I couldn't find a complaint if I tried. When we walked in we were greeted warmly and since it was our first visit there the very kind and gracious employee explained the menu without me even asking a question. I never felt rushed. The food was terrific. The service was friendly and genuine. Thank you for a great experience. Will definitely be back!

Windermere,Florida
“Great stop out of town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Last meal as we left Asheville, and Rocky's did not disappoint. Cayenne flavored hot chicken ( hot flavor and temp) is delicious. Read about it in "Garden and Gun" and got the corn pudding on their recommendation.Great variety of sides.Looks like a fast food place but tastes way better. Very good service,too.The mild chicken was plenty hot and the photos on the wall of patrons trying the "hot" chicken were scary.The place serves beer and wine and " lemonade and champagne"??? Sounds great, but as the driver I had lemonade and tea in honor of Arnold ( we live near Bay Hill Golf Club in Windermere). I drove for a couple of hours to Tennessee and my companions slept the whole way.

• Visited July 2013
Jonas Ridge, North Carolina
“Killer Chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stopped by Rocky's yesterday while in Asheville for the afternoon after being referred by a colleague. Home run! This place knows how to fry chicken. The owner was kind enough to explain that the medium and mildium carry some significant heat. I chose mild and mildium and both were great. Mildium brings some sweat to the brow. The chicken was as moist as I've ever had it.

You have to love a place when the owner comes over to explain the menu and answer any questions while you stand in line. I'll be back to Rocky's as soon as possible. Great job!!