“Best Fried Chicken in Asheville”

Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack
Ranked #40 of 830 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Five Points
Description: Serving deliriously good fried chicken and southern soul food, Rocky's prepares "hot" chicken with the spice level any way you like it from plain to extra hot. Using natural birds and quality ingredients in our made-from-scratch recipes, we offer delicious American classics like mac and cheese, corn pudding, and collard greens among many more. Mouthwatering desserts include banana pudding and coca cola cake. We make everything fresh, in small batches, for a difference you can taste!
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Rocky's not only has the best fried chicken in Asheville but the service is also a breath of fresh air. The staff is willing to answer questions, re-fill your glass and explain the menu. I go with the "mild" because when they say "hot" they mean it! The chicken and waffles are the best as is the mac and cheese balls and fries. I delayed writing this review because I don't want to wait when I go there like I do all the other restaurants in West Asheville that are good. They deserve it.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you want good chicken, this is a great place to eat. Nothing fancy, just good food. Several levels of spices to choose from.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We made the mistake of visiting the day they opened a couple of years ago, and it was a borderline disaster, but we finally decided to give it another try last night, and I'm very glad we did.

The service is incredibly friendly, and very very helpful. This is a place that means it when they call themselves a "hot" chicken shack. This is a level of spicy that most restaurants don't dare to approach. The heat scale is listed in Scoville Units, so you know exactly what you're getting into, and that's very useful for those unfortunate souls who grew up in the north where they don't have good food.

For reference, their "medium" clocks in at 325K S.U., which is hotter than Buffalo Wild Wings' "Blazin" wings that will get your picture on the wall. Rocky's has 4 sauces hotter than that, the hottest topping out at 1.4 MILLION units.

The only downside I can see to their system is that the heat is the only thing that varies. The flavor is the same no matter what heat level you get. That said, it's a tasty flavor, but still, some people might want more variety. Personally, I'm not a fan of their breading, which is why I've abstained from that 5th star. It's too crunchy and thick for my liking, but a lot of people enjoy it.

I'll still be going back because there are plenty of other great things on the menu (including some awesome sides) that I can get. Last night, I had some gumbo, and it was highly tasty.

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

When I want good chicken, I head to Rockys Hot Chicken.

You can't miss there sign on Patton ave with the big chicken or maybe its a rooster?

I recommend the three piece chicken tender plate with the lemon honey flavor with side of Mac and cheese balls and sweet potato casorole. Brought my mom for the first time and she is not even fond of chicken and she had the same thing and loved it.

The handsome owner or mange waited on us and he is always there making sure thing are just right!

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Took my mom on a Christmas trip to Asheville and we always try to find some good fried chicken wherever we travel. Found Rock's online and gave it a try. That chicken was smack-your-mama good! (I didn't) Mom had the "plain" as she can't take spice and she really enjoyed it. I had the medium and it was fantastic. The breading and spice were perfectly done and the chicken was so juicy. The sides were equally good and the service and staff very friendly. Prices very reasonable. Wish it was closer so I could have more!