“We loved this hotel”

Baymont Inn & Suites Asheville/biltmore
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed January 10, 2007

We left Blowing Rock, where we stayed at the Hemlock Inn, (check out my review there) and drove to Asheville, came upon this hotel and just went in to get a room. The staff was very nice and for $107 (AAA rate) we decided to stay. The room was very nice and clean, modern. The bathroom was small but very nice. There are only five floors so the elevator wait wasn't a problem for us, we stayed on the fifth floor. Be sure and bring a swim suit so you can go in the pool or hot tub. We didn't have ours and had to go to wal-mart and get work out clothes to make-do!!! too funny looking but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! The Texas (forgot the name) restaurant was within walking distance but it was too crowded and smokey and had over an hour wait so we drove down (away from Biltmore so coming out of the hotel parking lot, take a left) until we found FlatRock Grille. This was a GREAT restaurant, avg. price entree over $15+. Great atmosphere, GREAT food. There is a sign for an animal hospital on the sign for the restaurant so you can't miss it. The FREE breakfast at the Baymont was wonderful, the eating area is too small but that's because the food is so good everyone eats there! They have coffee, cereal, toast, muffins, and then Eggs, Sausage, biscuits and two huge waffle-irons where you make your own. There is fruit and juice also, probably some other stuff I forgot. If the seating is full just take the stuff back to your room. It's worth a fortune not having to leave the hotel to find breakfast and the kids we saw there seemed very happy.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Reviewed November 13, 2006

After reading reviews on this site and one other, I decided to go ahead and keep the reservations I had previously made for the Baymont but make one more reservation for our weekend in Asheville, as a backup just in case the Baymont was not good. After arriving in Asheville, we checked out the Baymont room and pool then went to the Ramada Plaza to check out its' room and pool situation. Our first impression of the Baymont room was that it was dark and, because the only available room was a nonsmoking room at the time of my making the reservation, it smelled of smoke and deodorizer odor. I asked if they would give me a nonsmoking room should one become available through a cancellation that day; they said they would. We left to check out the Ramada Plaza about six miles away. The room was brighter than Baymont's due to lighter/brighter colored material for bedspreads, etc. and I do believe the beds might have been better, however, after looking at the indoor pool situation downstairs, we decided to go back to the Baymont. I cancelled my "back up" reservation at the Ramada before I left and did not regret it the entire weekend. When we returned to the Baymont around 4:00 p.m. they handed me a room key to a nonsmoking room. It was nice. The bed could have been a little more comfortable. The pool and jacuzzi area were very adequate. There was always a fresh supply of towels available in the pool area.

In a nutshell:

The criteria for our good stay at the Baymont was the fact that the breakfast was good (make your own waffles -- easy, as well as sausage, eggs, biscuits, oatmeal, muffins, yogurt, toast, fruit, etc.); the indoor pool was a little cool, but we enjoyed it; the staff was friendly and willing to work with us and the room change; and finally location -- the location to the Biltmore House and downtown Asheville was great.

I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Cindy

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 10, 2006

We stayed here after reading the reviews on this site. It was better than expected and a great value. It was clean and well managed. The rooms were pleasant. The staff was always polite and helpful -with tips and directions. The location is perfect-two blocks off I-40. The Biltmore and Biltmore village is blocks away. Very nice restaurants are blocks away. Just hop on the Interstate to get to any of the surrounding tourist locations. We took the Biltmore package and received our tickets and wine from the hotel. What a great place!

6  Thank lynne&greg
A TripAdvisor Member
Raleigh
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Very clean, great service, indoor pool, comp hot breakfast and free wireless highspeed internet access! Stayed there for 3 nights and were very happy with the choice. Will definitely stay here if we go back to Asheville.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Don't even get me started on what a dive this budget hotel is! Everything looks cheap, and it is. Reception area: tiny. Elevator: Euro style super tiny (and it takes forever to come.) Hallways: narrow and creepy. Am I in a Freddy Kruger movie? Breakfast room: cramped and seats maybe ten people. The surly, unsmiling breakfast room attendant has the nerve to have a tip jar--when all he does is replenish stuff (isn't that his job?) He does not make anything for you or serve you. The juices they have are canned and have an off taste. The juices are in a fountain dispenser, but you can tell they are canned. You have to fight for a seat, and on my three night stay, I was treated to yowling brats (whose mother refused to control them) daily.

The room: dismal and small. A hanger was under the fitted sheet on my bed! A hanger! I thought springs were coming through.
Were these sheets even changed from the previous guests? The room also had a distinct bad odor. I had to ask for toilet tissue. The tiny, greasy bar of soap was ridiculous. I had no washcloths. My room was right by the elevator, and they had no others available. For two nights, the people in the room above mine evidently were training elephants--or rhinoceros. I called repeatedly to compain and nobody answered the phone for forty minutes.

I requested a manager the next day and was told they were not in. I returned that afternoon and asked if the manager was there. The girl said she didn't know and would check. (The manager was in an adjacent room without a wall and she did not know if the manager was there?) The manager was Julie Patel (read other reviews for more about her.) I explained the noise problem and asked for a room rate adjustment. Reluctantly--like it was coming from her own pocket--she offered a 10% reduction. I thought she meant on the entire stay (which still was not an adequate adjustment), but she meant on one night! After looking at my room rate (which was cheapest on my last night), she told me the 10% adjustment would come off that night. I guess I was lucky to get any adjustment at all from her! Whatever happened to the customer is always right and doing something nice or extra to ensure satisfaction, repeat business, good word of mouth etc.

If you are going to Asheville, AVOID THE BAYMONT neat the Biltmore House. You do not need to be near the house anyway. Asheville is a small town and you are never far from the house. You cannot walk to it anyway! Some reviews mention "walking distance to Biltmore." You could walk to the gate house but you cannot enter the grounds on foot.
Find another budget hotel--do not be rooked by the Asheville Baymont!

14  Thank Pennfield
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta
Reviewed June 10, 2006

We stayed at Baymont Inn on June 6th and 7th. After reading so many good reviews, I was very disappointed with the hotel.

The indoor pool is nice and big, but filled with chlorine gas. I felt dizzy after a while. My kids hair got so hard because of the chlorine in the water, the cheap shampoo with conditioner provided by the hotel did not take care of it. The smell ringard in the room because of the swimming suits.

The room is comfortable yes, and I now know that means small. The breakfast area is so small, and does not have enough tables and chairs for all the people who want to eat breakfast. The stuff was very inefficient to supply run-out food item or change garbage can.

Oh, there is only one little elevator which runs so slow, and rings alarms almost every time. I wonder whether it is well maintained....

I will probably do not stay here again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 9, 2006

Based on the reviews posted prior to June 1, I called the Baymont to inquire about the 2-night Biltmore Estate package. A young lady by the name of Allison gave me a price of $195 which included 2 Biltmore tickets, a $25 gift card to the Texas Roadhouse Grill restaurant and a bottle of wine in addition to our standard king room for 2 nights. I ended my call with Allison, went over the package with my husband and we both agreed the deal was exceptional. I called Allison back, went over the package again, asked about the location and type of restaurant included in the package and made reservations for the nights of June 4 and 5.

The hotel was very much as described in the trip advisor reviews--very clean, adequate complimentary breakfast and convenient to the Biltmore Estate. I met Allison when we checked in and she was very nice and remembered talking to me. We had a great time in Asheville. The BBQ ribs at the Texas Roadhouse were delicious! On the morning of June 6 my husband and I went to the front desk to check out. Julie Patel, the General Manager, waited on us. The bill Julie presented was for $240 + tax rather than $195 + tax. I pointed out the error and was told that they don't have a package for $195. I told Julie who sold me the package and that I had a confirmation number, but she immediately put a piece of paper in front of my husband that he signed upon check in that showed the price of $240. Yes, we signed the paper--we had been on the road for 3 days when we checked in and were a little tired and weary and TRUSTING that the package sold on the phone would be honored. I admitted our error but again told Julie that they indeed had a $195 package on May 19 when I called the hotel, because that was what I agreed to buy. The difference was only $45 and still a very good value, but I didn't appreciate in essence being called a liar. After going back and forth with Julie for a bit, we paid and left. I will never do business with a Baymont Inn again, because I believe it was a scam. I did learn a very valuable lesson--always check the price on any paper put in front of you PRIOR to check in.

9  Thank missloulou