“Beware! A fleabag with MANY problems!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Asheville/biltmore
Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Cleveland, Ohio
“Beware! A fleabag with MANY problems!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

Don't even get me started on what a dive this budget hotel is! Everything looks cheap, and it is. Reception area: tiny. Elevator: Euro style super tiny (and it takes forever to come.) Hallways: narrow and creepy. Am I in a Freddy Kruger movie? Breakfast room: cramped and seats maybe ten people. The surly, unsmiling breakfast room attendant has the nerve to have a tip jar--when all he does is replenish stuff (isn't that his job?) He does not make anything for you or serve you. The juices they have are canned and have an off taste. The juices are in a fountain dispenser, but you can tell they are canned. You have to fight for a seat, and on my three night stay, I was treated to yowling brats (whose mother refused to control them) daily.

The room: dismal and small. A hanger was under the fitted sheet on my bed! A hanger! I thought springs were coming through.
Were these sheets even changed from the previous guests? The room also had a distinct bad odor. I had to ask for toilet tissue. The tiny, greasy bar of soap was ridiculous. I had no washcloths. My room was right by the elevator, and they had no others available. For two nights, the people in the room above mine evidently were training elephants--or rhinoceros. I called repeatedly to compain and nobody answered the phone for forty minutes.

I requested a manager the next day and was told they were not in. I returned that afternoon and asked if the manager was there. The girl said she didn't know and would check. (The manager was in an adjacent room without a wall and she did not know if the manager was there?) The manager was Julie Patel (read other reviews for more about her.) I explained the noise problem and asked for a room rate adjustment. Reluctantly--like it was coming from her own pocket--she offered a 10% reduction. I thought she meant on the entire stay (which still was not an adequate adjustment), but she meant on one night! After looking at my room rate (which was cheapest on my last night), she told me the 10% adjustment would come off that night. I guess I was lucky to get any adjustment at all from her! Whatever happened to the customer is always right and doing something nice or extra to ensure satisfaction, repeat business, good word of mouth etc.

If you are going to Asheville, AVOID THE BAYMONT neat the Biltmore House. You do not need to be near the house anyway. Asheville is a small town and you are never far from the house. You cannot walk to it anyway! Some reviews mention "walking distance to Biltmore." You could walk to the gate house but you cannot enter the grounds on foot.
Find another budget hotel--do not be rooked by the Asheville Baymont!

14 Thank Pennfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

We stayed at Baymont Inn on June 6th and 7th. After reading so many good reviews, I was very disappointed with the hotel.

The indoor pool is nice and big, but filled with chlorine gas. I felt dizzy after a while. My kids hair got so hard because of the chlorine in the water, the cheap shampoo with conditioner provided by the hotel did not take care of it. The smell ringard in the room because of the swimming suits.

The room is comfortable yes, and I now know that means small. The breakfast area is so small, and does not have enough tables and chairs for all the people who want to eat breakfast. The stuff was very inefficient to supply run-out food item or change garbage can.

Oh, there is only one little elevator which runs so slow, and rings alarms almost every time. I wonder whether it is well maintained....

I will probably do not stay here again.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jackson, MS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

Based on the reviews posted prior to June 1, I called the Baymont to inquire about the 2-night Biltmore Estate package. A young lady by the name of Allison gave me a price of $195 which included 2 Biltmore tickets, a $25 gift card to the Texas Roadhouse Grill restaurant and a bottle of wine in addition to our standard king room for 2 nights. I ended my call with Allison, went over the package with my husband and we both agreed the deal was exceptional. I called Allison back, went over the package again, asked about the location and type of restaurant included in the package and made reservations for the nights of June 4 and 5.

The hotel was very much as described in the trip advisor reviews--very clean, adequate complimentary breakfast and convenient to the Biltmore Estate. I met Allison when we checked in and she was very nice and remembered talking to me. We had a great time in Asheville. The BBQ ribs at the Texas Roadhouse were delicious! On the morning of June 6 my husband and I went to the front desk to check out. Julie Patel, the General Manager, waited on us. The bill Julie presented was for $240 + tax rather than $195 + tax. I pointed out the error and was told that they don't have a package for $195. I told Julie who sold me the package and that I had a confirmation number, but she immediately put a piece of paper in front of my husband that he signed upon check in that showed the price of $240. Yes, we signed the paper--we had been on the road for 3 days when we checked in and were a little tired and weary and TRUSTING that the package sold on the phone would be honored. I admitted our error but again told Julie that they indeed had a $195 package on May 19 when I called the hotel, because that was what I agreed to buy. The difference was only $45 and still a very good value, but I didn't appreciate in essence being called a liar. After going back and forth with Julie for a bit, we paid and left. I will never do business with a Baymont Inn again, because I believe it was a scam. I did learn a very valuable lesson--always check the price on any paper put in front of you PRIOR to check in.

9 Thank missloulou
charlotte nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2006

The hotel is on a very busy street but it's a short walk to the Biltmore. The rooms are smaller than your average hotels and the bathrooms are tiny. All we use the room for was to sleep so it served it's purpose. If you have mmore than 3 people might be tight, unless you upgrade. The breakfast was good and they did have a good selection. The front desk was quite rude, I guess b/c it was Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is very clean, one of the cleanest I have ever seen. A few miles to downtown and one straight shot.

Short walk to the Biltmore village but the road is busy and it gets scary w/ all the cars zooming by. Bring your own pillows, the pillows there are horrible, the beds are ok.The hotel over charged me on my bill and blamed it on the computer, but finally took care of it. Overall I would stay here again as long as we didn't bring our kids.

The Good:
Price
Close to Biltmore and downtown
Breakfast included
Restaurants in walking distance

The Bad:
Small bathrooms and rooms
Pillows
Located on busy road

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank chadashlyn
Peachtree City, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2006

I stayed at the Baymont April 7-9. The hotel is most convenient to the Biltmore Estate and the Biltmore Village. The front desk staff are really great - especially Rich. He was of great help to my group. He is very friendly and will go out of his way to help you or guide you. He made a great dinner suggestion to us, Province 620 (excellent food and price). The hotel is extremely clean and comfortable. You cannot go wrong with the Baymont.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank Piemates
Beaufort, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2006

Stayed 2 nights at the Baymont, Asheville, less then a 1/2 mile from the Biltmore house. Above average for the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel (overall) and the location. One drawback, the beds are not comfortable but for the price a good deal. If you stay try the Apollo Something?? (ask front desk) restruant, very close, good and plenty food, resonably priced.

4 Thank luvgoing
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2006

I stayed here while relocating back from the west coast to Connecticut.

I stopped in Asheville to see the Biltmore Estate. I'd originally scheduled only a two night stay. However, both the hotel and the city were so comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable - I extended the stay an extra night. While doing so, I noted that another guest of this hotel was extending their stay, also.

This Baymont Inn is very affordable. Yet, it is in an ideal location to experience all that Asheville has to offer. The hotel room was immaculate. Breakfast was great. The staff was very helpful. Rich at the front desk was especially helpful with his dinner recommendations and directions.

Speaking of dinner, make sure you try out Rezaz restaurant in the historic Biltmore Village. It's a little more than moderately priced but well worth it!

• Stayed March 2006