“Homegrown IS Homegrown”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 10, 2014

What a pleasure to eat at a place that features honest food, grown locally, cooked wonderfully, served with a smile--and at a fair price! We each went for some variety of trout or catfish (and sampled each others' choices)--all good, though I'd opt for the blackened versions of everything next time. Every side was delicious: collards, cheesy grits, spaghetti squash, roasted root vegetables. My only "complaint" was I loved the root veggies so much I wish the portion had been larger.

This place also does a thriving carryout business, and people drive quite a distance to come get thier food.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Nothing fancy, but does the job. Menu is written on a big chalkboard and varies from shredded pork to falentil (a lentil version of a falafel). Prices are good, food is consistent and this place is busy. The menu has a bit for everyone, but as one reviewer wrote, it is light on vegetarian fare. I'd return.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We visited this restaurant for lunch, based upon TripAdvisor reviews. Frankly, if we had not read about it, we would never have stopped. The restaurant is located in a very non-nondescript, small building in a small shopping area. The outside has little going for it, including a very small parking lot. We even had trouble finding the place using GPS.

It was very much worth the effort, though.

The menu is located on a large blackboard next to the counter where you place your order. It appears that all of the employees have been there forever and are obviously committed to the place.

It's totally "green" (environmentally). They recycle, compost, have a strong farm to table philosophy, etc.

The decor is eclectic, to say the least. I don't think any two chairs matched and the place has an overall clean, but rustic feel. Condiments are all at the ordering counter and you just help yourself. If you order a soft drink, you'll get a can, so you might want to ask for a glass of ice with it.

The food is very tasty and fresh and the menu is pretty extensive for a restaurant like this. Food came out pretty quickly (and very hot) very efficiently. It was obviously prepared to order.

My wife had chicken fried chicken. I'm not sure what the name meant, but it turned out to be a nice chicken filet with an outstanding, but not too heavy, breading. The accompanying mashed potatoes were outstanding.

I had a fried catfish plate with fries and coleslaw. It was a very generous and tasty serving and the fries and coleslaw were obviously made on site. They may have caught the fish for all I know. In any case, the breading was nicely seasoned and not too heavy. The fries weren't crisp, but had a very good flavor.

This restaurant obviously has a lot of "regulars," because people kept coming in with a clear knowledge of what they wanted.

We like to try local restaurants - avoiding chains - when we travel. Sometimes we're disappointed, but this was worth the extra miles off the interstate. We loved their approach to food and their preparation.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were staying at a B&B in Asheville this past week. Around the corner was this funky looking restaurant. The menu was written on a chalkboard and brought to the tables. The buttermilk fried chicken was awesome as well as the Caesar salad and sides. Reasonably priced and local craft beers are featured. If you're looking for great local food at a great price, come here

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I stopped in for a weekday lunch. There was a short wait to order, but we were able to find a table right away. There was a large group that had ordered right before us, so we ended up waiting for about 20 minutes or so for our food to arrive. It was worth the wait. I had the buttermilk fried chicken and he had the sunburst trout, blackened and each of us had the pomme frites for a side. All for under $20! The buttermilk fried chicken was probably the best I've ever had. It was juicy without being overly greasy. He really enjoyed the trout as well. I especially like that they use local ingredients in their cooking.