“Extraordinary Fried Chicken Sandwich” 5 of 5 bubbles

Homegrown
Ranked #74 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“Extraordinary Fried Chicken Sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

First, I don't eat fried food. But, when another diner waiting in line at another great restaurant tells you not to miss the fried chicken sandwich at Homegrown, you listen. The place isn't much to look at, but boy can they cook. Their fried chicken sandwich was simply fantastic - perfectly fried, juicy and tasty, with a perfect slice of ripe, delicious tomato and a tasty mustardy sauce. I wanted to return for lunch on a Saturday before I left town, but they are closed at that time. Bummer!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

DeKalb County
“It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive to be fresh and delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

It worked out for my husband and me to stop in Asheville for lunch on our way to Hickory, so I jumped onto online restaurant reviews and looked for a place which served local, fresh food. Fortunately, I stumbled upon Home Grown. We were not disappointed.

Reviewers strongly suggested the fried chicken, unusual in that it is skinless and boneless. Both of us ordered that. I added a cup of cold cucumber soup (awesome), some beets, and fresh tomatoes, since ours in northern Illinois were not quite fully ripe, and I was jonesing for the real deal. Yum. I got it.

My husband ordered cheese grits, which also lived up to their accolades and a mess of wilted greens. Both of us sampled from each other's plates, of course, and we agreed that we had discovered a place to which we would certainly return. In fact, I think that we'll stop in again on our way back home. Although I loved the breading on the chicken, I didn't feel as if it needed the mushroom gravy. I realize that this is more a southern way of presenting the meal. It certainly wasn't off putting but perhaps a trifle bit of caloric overkill. Sacrilege?

Pleasant folk behind the counter and serving. The blackboard menu allows for erasing dishes as they run out, and they do run out, we noticed, even at 1:30.

I wish that we could find a gem like this everywhere we travel. It's such a welcome change from chains and over-processed offerings at so many other restaurants.

Keep up the great concept, Home Grown. Your efforts are truly appreciated

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Florida
“A Good Sandwich”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I visited twice recently. On my first visit I had a Blue Plate Special ($8) wrap filled with fried green tomato, bacon and onion served with sweet potato chips and a peppercorn dip. It was a little different and tasty. On my second visit I had a grilled trout "samich" ($9) with aioli, lettuce, sprouts and tomato. I didn't see any sprouts but the sandwich was good and I would order it again. My only con is that even though a card on my table promised that they would bus my table, on my first visit my wrap was dropped on the table and the server walked off leaving the debris left behind by the previous diners. On my second visit the service was perfunctory but okay, I guess. Free parking is available.

Visited July 2013
canton ohio
“Local and Fresh Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was a little surprised to see that you ordered at the counter, but quickly got over it. The food choice is extremely fresh and locally grown. Friendly staff and obviously very caring about what they do and what they serve. The catfish and trout were locally raised and Delicious. The greens likewise and very tasty. We had been told about this restaurant by family and friends in Atlanta, GA. A great place to grab lunch and feel good about the food you're getting. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“Watch what you eat!....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

If you are a vegetarian and order a dish without meat, you better check every single bite of your meal before you put it in your mouth!.... Just in case!!! Since the only respond from the staff was "sorry" wonder what whould have been the reaction if I'm actually allergic to something and trust them that they able to prepare my food the way I need it!

Visited June 2013