“Great Location, but something was missing (3.5 rating)”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #30 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Again, I am wishing TA had half circles because I would give this hotel a solid 3.5 rating. We stayed at the Renaissance for 4 nights and the biggest pro by far is its location to downtown Asheville. You can walk to anything you might want to do. Additionally, we thought that the hotel overall was nice, clean, and safe...three things that are generally important to us when we travel.

While there were no glaring problems with our stay, there was just something missing that makes me not rate it higher. They are all small issues, but when you sum them up, they take away from the traveling experience. The bathroom was small, the smushy thing on the bed kept sliding and so poor husband kept feeling like he too was sliding off the bed at night, the internet was expensive, our tv didn't get consistent reception (they use satellites we later found out), there was no mirror in the exterior of the room so while my husband was showering, I couldn't get ready as well...you get the idea. Like I said, nothing that was too awful, but enough that I was ready for home by the end and was a little sad when I saw our final bill.

I would recommend the Renaissance for it's location and I would assure other travelers that we felt it was safe and clean. However, for the price and the amenities, I can't help but wonder if there isn't better in Asheville.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarahbean108
Write a ReviewReviews (1,540)

Reviewed October 28, 2009

Stayed at the Renaissance for 5 nights in Oct 2009. Nice and clean property, room is of good size, modern, and super clean. It's in the heart of downtown yet very quiet at night. The staff (especially front desk) were quite helpful and eager to please. Housekeeping was reliable, consistently did a great job.

Cons: Internet is quite expensive ($9 per day), and restaurant menu features limited options. Had pancakes one morning (room service)- terrible, was like eating dough or batter.

Overall, a positive experience- would certainly stay again at this property if lucky enough to visit Asheville again!

Tips: Asheville is stunningly beautiful, visit in the fall or summer. For amazing and affordable Thai food, make sure you try 'Suwana Thai Orchid' restaurant in downtown area- you'll be pleased!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Two terrific things about this place - the location and the lobby. Beyond that, the amenities are less than average.

The location is excellent - right downtown. I don't drink and drive at all, so being able to walk to and from Asheville's excellent restaurants and bars is the primary reason I stayed here.

The lobby is great. The bellhops and front desk are very helpful. The barkeep gave us some free tequila. The valet let us park our motorcycles under cover. Excellent so far...

...but when you get to the room, it's a different story. A little old, a little tired. Bathroom a little iffy. No fridge! But the worst thing is: YOU HAVE TO PAY $10/day FOR INTERNET ACCESS. This, to me, is like having to pay extra for towels and hot water.

Room was about $180 a night, plus the $10 internet fee. By contrast, the next night we stayed at a very typical Hampton Inn. Free internet, of course, fridge, microwave, much cleaner, better bedding, excellent bathroom. Price? $100/night.

So if being in downtown Asheville is more important to you than price and quality, this is the place to stay, as it was for me. But I think next time I'll stay somewhere else and just take a cab downtown.

BTW, I wrote a nice note to Marriott Customer Service about the foolishness of charging for internet service. They sent me a form email back promising to get back to me on the subject in 24 hours, but I never heard from them again. We sometimes stay in Marriotts overseas and generally like them.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary in May. It is located perfectly if you are interested in the downtown area. We walked everywhere - to dinner, shopping, entertainment - and it was not a difficult walk. We also loved that it is located right off the interstate which is nice if you plan on traveling down to the Biltmore area. The room was very clean and nice. Nothing extravagant, but we were definitely pleased. The staff was very helpful at helping us find restaurants and shops we were looking for. Overall very pleased and would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Booked the Renaissance after canceling Haywood Park res because of so many negative reviews on this site and I'm glad I did. This hotel is in a very convenient location, the staff was friendly and efficient, and the rooms, although on the small side, were beautiful and spotless. The beds were amazing! Stayed at the hotel for dinner on our last night because of rain and had a very good meal in the, unfortunately, unattractive restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2009

PROS: decor; service; location CONS: small rooms; price, price, price

Stayed here approximately a year ago, but failed to review at that time. The lobby/restuarant area at the R. is not beautiful when you walk in, and reminds me of a slightly outdated chain hotel. While our room was gorgeous, it was unusually SMALL AND NARROW. And I mean unusually narrow even by moderately priced hotel standards.

We had a room with two queen beds and had only a walkway between the two beds, and just enough room for ONE person to get by in the front. We stayed one night, so the lack of space wasn't a huge deal, but it would get old quickly during a longer stay or if you have children.

The electronics/TV/computer setup was the BEST I'VE EVER SEEN, hands down. Very high-end. Way above other luxury hotels. Flat-screen, large TV etc. Many plug-ins. The bedding was plush and luxurious, and the Asian decor was extremely nice. We also enjoyed the view of the city out the window, since this is a high-rise hotel.

Another huge plus, you can leave your car in the hotel parking lot, and reach anywhere in downtown Asheville afoot. No parking hassles. Nice to have a restaurant on the premises, but it was quite expensive at breakfast. Not sure about other meals. Service was fine throughout, particularly the breakfast wait staff.

My assessment--great place to stay--definitely a notch above many in this price range, and you can't beat the location. Is it worth the high, high rack rate? Hmmmm.....don't think so. Stay here if you can get a decent rate, but your room will be small, so leave the kids at home.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Attended an event in Ashville during September 2009 and stayed at this facility.
I have no real negatives to post regarding my five night stay. I also have no real "make me want to return" postives to post either.

The location is excellent if downtown is your destination.
The employees were typical hotel employees - They do their job but nothing extra.
For a Renaissance property it is a step down.
Housekeeping did not speak English
We used two different bellhops. One was very good and gave part of our tip back - stating it was too much. The second displayed an attitude of "I would rather be anywhere in the world than working here"

I would recommend staying there is you want access to downtown activities. I would stay elsewhere if that is not a priority.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business