“Good Location, Average Facility”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
DeputyDan
“Good Location, Average Facility”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Attended an event in Ashville during September 2009 and stayed at this facility.
I have no real negatives to post regarding my five night stay. I also have no real "make me want to return" postives to post either.

The location is excellent if downtown is your destination.
The employees were typical hotel employees - They do their job but nothing extra.
For a Renaissance property it is a step down.
Housekeeping did not speak English
We used two different bellhops. One was very good and gave part of our tip back - stating it was too much. The second displayed an attitude of "I would rather be anywhere in the world than working here"

I would recommend staying there is you want access to downtown activities. I would stay elsewhere if that is not a priority.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Checked in on a weekend afternoon, parking out front was scarce, but found a spot on the side of the hotel (no signs showing us more parking in the back). Bellman sort of just stared as we entered, didn't seem helpful at all. Shook that off and stood in a line four deep to check in. The one girl up front seemed a little frazzled with the sudden rush, but she was taking her time to be pleasant to the older man who was asking a million questions and treating her like a conceirge.

After the line died down and we were the last ones needing to check in, a 2nd front desk employee came out to help. She was very short and abrupt, barely acknowledging out Marriott Rewards Gold status and giving us no additional information. As we stepped away from the desk with keys in hand (wow, really? 45 second check in?), we started walking to what I thought were the elevators, with bags in tow. You'd think any normal front desk person would have stopped us and said, the elevators are behind you, the other direction. Not a huge deal, but still gave us the impression that she wasn't really paying attention to guests. (Maybe it was us not paying attention! haha!)

Anyway, the hotel redeemed itself after that. The room was appropriately plush, with nice decor and clean and comfy sheets (did not experience any issues with cleanliness at all - in fact was very impressed!) The bed and pillows are everything you'd expect from a full service Marriott hotel. Loved the wallpaper in the bathroom, and the cool red chaise chair.

The best part was, staying on the concierge floor, we had turn down service each evening and the hotel staff left chocolates from a local chocolate shop called Chocolate Fetish. So yummy!

We encountered the front desk staff a couple more times during our stay, and each person we talked to was a little more strange than the last, none of them seemed very genuine. They weren't rude, just incongruent somehow. You always got the feeling they were putting on a mask to talk to you, and they couldnt wait for you to leave so they could go back to being themselves. Very odd, but it could have been worse!

Overall, a solid 3.5 star hotel with nice decor, perfectly cushy beds, and nice Aveda bathroom products in a somewhat small but nice bathroom. Location is great to boot!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I am a loyal Marriott Rewards member primarily because I am always sure that a Mariott property will be, at the very least, clean. Unfortuantely no so for this property. An example is that the sheets on the bed were actually dirty -- like, I could see dirt. I think it may have even been mold because there had been quite a bit of rain and the room was a little damp when I first got in. Whatever the reason, it was gross. Fortunately, I had a room w/ 2 beds. The other bed has some small stains on the sheets but not bad enough to prevent me from sleeping in it for one night since I discovered all of this around 11pm. The next day, however, I did something I NEVER do and asked for all new linens from housekeeping.

All of that being said, the staff was very friendly & nice and the property is in a great downtown location. If I needed to stay downtown again, I would stay here simply because it's the best of the mediocre. Same for recommending it to someone -- it's not as bad as the others nearby. But inspect your sheets.
Someone is REALLY missing a golden opportunity to have an upscale, clean, consistetly good property in downtown Asheville. It's amazing to me that all hotels that are actually in downtown are substandard. Especially since the B&Bs right outside of downtown are consistently the cream of the crop. Maybe the new Hotel Indigo will make everyone else step up their game.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Phoenix,AZ
Reviewed September 22, 2009

The hotel has all the ammenities you expect from a property this level. The breakfast buffet is for serious eaters but quite good. Staff is wonderfully friendly and caring and present the guest with so many choices that one hardly knows where to start. Parking is easy. Rooms are sufficiently large. Bathrooms are small but adequate. We were here six days and it was flawless.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Raleigh/Durham
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I arrived at the Renaissance later in the afternoon and received a high room floor with 2 Queen beds, just as I requested. However, the view was of the parking lot, so I called downstairs and was quickly moved to a private corner King room within an alcove overlooking the Thomas Wolfe House and offering a lovely view of the city. As most hotels have now, complimentary apples in the lobby provide a great snack.

The room was clean, cozy and elegant. The design was classy, hip and warm. The chaise lounge was a nice touch. The bathroom was large with plenty of counter space for my toiletries and the tub was large and clean. It was nice to have the double-door closet outside the bathroom to house my suitcase on its stand and hang my clothes.

I ordered room service one afternoon, which was quickly delivered with no complications. The desk was great for all of my work items; laptop, notebook, bag, etc...

The Renaissance was within close walking distance to downtown Asheville with plenty of nice restaurants to chose from, yet convenient to the highway for travel to my nearby meetings. Parking was free and close to the hotel. I stayed by coincidence during the Bele Chere Festival, and i noticed no inconvenience, other than having to announce myself as a guest when pulling in to park at the hotel.

I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Contrary to some recent reviews, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It was for part of our "mountains" vacation, and we spent four nights in Asheville.

Pros: Lovely refurbished rooms (sort of Oriental design), new large screen HD TVs, very clean public areas and carpeting, extremely friendly and helpful staff & bellman (every single person, literally!), quick fixes to our 2 small concerns, a very large indoor pool for work-out lap swimming, well-equipped work-out room, and the piece de resistence - a great glass-covered side patio (off the ballroom area) with tables and chairs for friendly drinks or chats with friends. Also served as an outdoor smoking area. It was well landscaped, and allowed us to get out of the constant "hotel air" room. Another plus was plenty of free parking at a downtown location, and quick access to all major routes.

Cons: The daily fees for wireless access, especially since we kept losing the signal at the worst times. When we complained, our bill was adjusted for that. However, the fee also covered unlimited long distance phone calls, and since I'd forgotten my cell phone charger, that was a nice bonus. The only con for us was being put in a corner room - usually corner rooms are large, but not here. It was rather cramped, especially when I peeked into other rooms when housekeeping was cleaning them.

Nevertheless, we couldn't feel badly about the smaller room, because the check-in woman had upgraded us to the "club Floor", which included free breakfasts, loads of non-alcoholic drinks, a very generous and gourmet h'ors d'oeuvres time (2 hours), as well as a fancy dessert each evening. All of this was served in a lovely lounge area with great views and access to free wireless, with very helpful female hostesses serving. A special touch we loved and appreciated!
We enjoyed walking everywhere in downtown Asheville, and we didn't find it full of pan-handlers as another reviewer did. I searched here for restaurant recommendations, and ate at several well-reviewed restaurants - Bouchon Cafe, the Bier Garden, La Paz Mexican restaurant, and a few drinks as we explored the fabulous Grove Park Inn. I can't recommend this hotel or the beautiful Art Deco city of Asheville highly enough!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ALEXANDRIA va
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Maybe all the negative comments in TA's reviews have forced the Renaissance to give out great deals on Priceline's name your own price (we stayed a full week and paid only $86 a night) site (which rates it as a three and half star - but we had a 5 star experience)
They gave us a room at the front on the eighth floor with fantastic views of the mountains and the Grove Park Inn on the hill with a King size bed We were within a five minute walk to wonderful Italian, Thai, Indian, Vegetarian, Japanese and even a mellow mushroom pizza restaurant.. It was a ten minute walk to the shopping and arts district near Grove Arcade. The two parking lots were huge and free. We did not hear any noise on the weekend nights and all the guests were very quiet.
Check in was a breeze and they had our room ready at 2:30 which was nice after an 8 hour drive down I-66 and I-81. Right off of the main highways and downtown main streets so driving to the Biltmore was easy. Likewise, trips to Chimney Rock and the Arboretum were super easy due its location near the main highway exits
Now no review can be all rosy and believable. The posters who noted the poor room design were spot on. The dressers and TV and desk line one wall opposite the beds so you do have to walk single file from the sitting area to the bathroom. We got used to it very quickly. Guess we were lucky because none of the negative things posted here happened to us the entire week. The pillows were plentiful and soft, the linens spotless and the bathrooms a decent size. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple