“Good, clean hotel with great location”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good, clean hotel with great location”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is located in the heart of the city and easy walking distance to many places. We were busy playing tourists so found this a great hotel as a focal point for Asheville area. Parking is free which I feel is a bonus. I found the hotel comfortable, clean and with a very friendly staff! It is not a 5 star hotel and showing a little age, however I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cindylouwho4UK
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us. With regard to the hotel looking a tad aged, we are working on plans to give the outside of the building a new look! Please do keep in touch for updates on this. Also, please let us know if we may assist in making your stay more enjoyable during your next visit.
I appreciate your time,
Front Office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked this hotel based on location and fact it is a Marriott property. My room was very small and décor is outdated as is entire hotel. Hotel is in a great location and easy walking distance to everything downtown. For price paid I expected a lot more than what I experienced. I must add the hotel staff was OUTSTANDING!!!. I was there over July 4th and hotel was probably close if not full. Hotel has 4 elevators and only 2 were working so getting up and down to the 11th floor was a challenge. There are two new hotels downtown and on my next trip to Asheville I will book one of them.

Room Tip: I was on 11th floor overlooking mountains and view was beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
In am sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay with us. Please feel free to contact myself or Terri Moser our front office manager to discuss this further.
PM Front Office Supervisor
828-252-8211
michelle.porche@wcghotels.com
Maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The location of this hotel makes it worthwhile for a short stay in Asheville. We liked walking around town without worrying about parking. We walked to several restaurants and shops and had the weather been better, we would have appreciated the location even more.

The hotel is very dog-friendly. We saw quite a few, mostly smaller, dogs. Given the room size, I would not bring a large dog. The rooms were much smaller than I anticipated and the bathroom was tiny. After picking up our kids from camp, we were a family of 4 in one room and I would not do that again in that hotel.

The indoor pool area was a very nice size and our kids enjoyed it for a long afternoon while it poured outside. Plenty of seating for adults, plenty of towels, the ability to go get drinks at the bar upstairs saved a wash-out day.

I chose the hotel based on the location and I'm glad I did, but next time, we will be staying someplace with a little more space and closer to the Biltmore, which we would like to explore more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to review us. Our location is excellent for visiting the downtown area. Prior to your future stay please contact us regarding the availability of a suite which will give you more space. We offer two suite layouts-one king and a sleeper sofa in the attached area or two queens and a sleeper sofa in the attached area.
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because you can walk easily to everything downtown (when there aren't thunderstorms and flood warnings) and like the Renaissance brand. The hotel feels a bit more like a business hotel and in some ways is showing its age. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was high quality and it was nice that the service went until 11 on Saturday morning. Great view of July 4 fireworks from various windows in the hotel. It is not cheap, but the convenience factor does account for some of that price premium.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RaleighHendersons
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding our staff and will be delighted to pass this along to them! Due to our location we are a little more expensive than more remote hotels, but being right downtown is just one of our many perks. If there is anything that I may do for you during your future stays, please, do let me know.
Rockledge, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

A friend and I just stayed at the Renaissance in Asheville last week. The hotel itself was standard - with typical rooms, decent views (we were on the fifth floor, in a corner room), good food in the restaurant. Its location makes it convenient to walk to most of the downtown area. The customer service, however, is what set this hotel apart.

Everyone we encountered - bellhop, front desk staff, room cleaning staff, dining staff – was exceptional. Of special note were Brian and Zeb. Brian helped us with our bags on arrival AND departure. He was fast, efficient, and engaged us in friendly conversation. We were amazed at how fast Brian came to the room to pick up our bags upon checkout. Usually, you call a front desk and wait for 20 minutes. He was at our door within minutes of hanging up the phone - and this was during the 11:00 checkout rush! And, Zeb at the front desk. He was wonderful. Zeb helped us with a travel situation that had nothing to do with the hotel or Asheville. He demonstrated compassion for our circumstances and went above and beyond the parameters of what I would expect in a front desk clerk.

I can’t wait to return to Asheville. And, when I do, I will definitely stay at the Renaissance again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TvlNovice
Renaissance AVL R, Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and our staff. I will make sure both Brian and Zeb are commended for their efforts with you. We also try our hardest to help every guests with any and all of their needs no matter the situation; and, to always staff appropriately to give ourselves the appropriate time to spend time with each of our guests. Thank you again!

We hope to see you again soon!
Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a July 4th stay at the Renaissance Asheville and I can tell you the other hotels in Asheville come no where close in customer service. Brittney at the front desk was exceptional and went out of her way to make sure we were taken care of way beyond our expectations. I mentioned that it was our wedding anniversary and when we returned to our room from dinner there was a bottle of Champagne and a box of fantastic chocolates. We did not pay extra for the package that offers this perk, it was just her thoughtfulness that provided it. The hotel was clean and nicely remodeled, the location is perfect, and the beds/pillows were very comfortable. Asheville is one of our favorite destinations and now the Renaissance will be our favorite lodging.

Room Tip: If available, higher floor rooms have better views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doug G
Thank you for your exceptionally kind words regarding our staff. Brittney is one of our newest employees at the Front Desk and so it makes us so happy to see she has already made a difference for our guests. We always try to go delight unexpectedly and so when we hear about a special occasion that is being celebrated we try to do our part to make it extra memorable.

We hope to see you next year for your next anniversary!
tiggermyron
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Not the best we've stayed in but a solid choice if you're looking for downtown Asheville. This is an older hotel with a good rehab. Beautiful lobby, nicely decorated rooms, etc. Our accessible bathroom was minuscule by my standard and poorly configured. I would caution a person requiring a roll-in bath though the rest of the room was fine. Also because it's an older building I noticed some yucky mold and paint peeling in a small area in the window behind the curtain....ick! Stuff like that just shouldn't be. Parking is busy and somewhat challenging. We were visiting family nearby and being here in a "city" setting was very convenient.

• Stayed July 2013