“Nice Hotel in Asheville, N.C.”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Westfield, IN
“Nice Hotel in Asheville, N.C.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our family stayed at the Renaissance hotel in Asheville which was recently renovated and very nice! The location is close to dining and shopping and about ten minute drive from the Biltmore at most. The hotel decor is beautiful, beds comfortable but rooms are alittle smaller than a newer hotel. There is a indoor pool and hot tub which was nice after hiking all day! Lots to do and see in the area! I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue87Westfield_IN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance overnight to attend a conference, at a group rate of $129 per night, which I understand is a good discount from their normal rate. I ordinarily prefer more "middle of the road" priced accomodations, since I'm typically more interested in cleanliness and comfort than luxury and style, but proximity to the meetings was worth paying a little extra for me.

When I approached the desk about 11 am, there were 2 people ahead of me and only one desk clerk on duty. The clerk seemed a bit harried, but he was efficient and capable, and when it was my turn he was very helpful. He found an available room for me even thought it was several hours before check in time. He was careful to write my room number on the key card sleeve instead of saying it aloud.

My room had a king bed and was located on the 4th floor. The view from the floor to ceiling window was partly parking lot, but also included some city skyline and mountains in the distance. The room was clean and comfortable, and the decor was bold and striking. The bed was very comfortable, and the linens seemed to be of very good quality with an abundance of pillows.

The desk was designed for serious business travelers, and had a wide workspace and several grounded outlets. I was able to charge my ipad and phone at the same time, and I had no trouble connecting to the free wifi. There was a large flat screen TV, and underneath there were louvered doors with drawers and a small fridge behind them.

They provide an individual serving coffee maker in the room with 2 "to-go" cups and 2 coffee packets, a variety of sweeteners, and individual creamers.

The closet was generously sized with plenty of hangers, an iron and ironing board, and a full length mirror inside one door. There was also a folding luggage rack, which I always appreciate.

The bathroom wasn't large, but it was spotless and had a tub and a rainfall showerhead with good water pressure. The bath towels weren't really large but they were thick and absorbant. For the king room they provide 3 each of bath towel, hand towel and wash cloth. The Aveda toiletries included shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap. They also provide a hair dryer that worked fine.

The room's thermostat and air conditioning worked very well, and the window treatments include sheer drapes and blackout drapes so you can choose your preferred amount of natural light. The bedside table had a clock radio and a Bible as well as the Book of Mormon. There was also a hotel magazine and a book about Asheville.

My favorite feature in the room was a very comfortable upholstered chair with matching ottoman and a good reading lamp. It is very rare to find such a truly comfortable chair in a hotel room--a genuine luxury.

There was an ice machine and softdrink machine on my floor, but no snack vending machine. The hotel has a restaurant (the menu prices seemed high but I didn't eat there to find out if their food was worth it) and a bar near the near the front desk. There was a gift shop in the lobby, open until 10pm, which offered a few snack choices, toiletries, magazines, and books of local interest as well as some lovely gift items.

The meeting rooms were large and comfortable. The lighting and air conditioning worked fine, and the snacks they provided for our meeting breaks were well presented and included some healthy offerings such as fresh fruit. Our conference rate also included breakfast in a dining room on the 12th floor, which was fine except for the dry, chalky scrambled eggs.

The hotel has an indoor pool and hot tub, which I didn't use but a colleague of mine did, and she said they were very nice.

Parking is free for guests, which is not true of all downtown hotels. The Renaissance is located very well for walking to many downtown businesses, cultural sites, shops, and restaurants.

Although I am usually quite content with more "middle of the road" lodgings as long as they are clean and comfortable, there were enough "value added" features at the Renaissance that it was worth it to me to pay the conference rate here. At the full rack rate however, I wouldn't really consider this as good a value, and I would only recommend this hotel to a person who had to pay full price if the excellent downtown location or idea of luxury was important to them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank TarHeelLady
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Although this hotel is just fair and not quite what you would expect from a Renaissance Hotel, the location can't be beat. This hotel is within a short walking distance to everything in downtown Asheville. We only had to use our car when visiting Biltmore Estate and the Grove Park Inn.

Some tips for visiting downtown Asheville. I highly recommend three restaurants for dinner.....Vincenzo's for Italian cuisine, Bouchon for French cuisine and Magnolia's for American cuisine. Definitely check out the French Broad chocolate lounge for delicious desserts.

On Friday nights in the summer, a visit to the drum circle in Pritchard Park is a treat and Saturday nights in Pack Square usually have free concerts featuring local musical talent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ellynn B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband, son, daughter in law and I checked into the Renaissance Asheville Hotel expecting a great trip to explore the Biltmore and enjoy the town of Asheville. We wanted to stay in town so that we could walk to where we wanted. How can anything go wrong when you are staying at a Marriott property? Our room was just ok. My son's room had an uncomfortable bed that squeaked every time you moved and his room was like a closet. We went on our way, visited the Biltmore Estate which was wonderful. Our cars were parked in the Renaissance parking lot which was behind the hotel. They told us that they had security for the parking lots however, they also had a big sign which said they were not responsible for any loss or damages. On Saturday, August 11th, we passed my car and noticed that the hood was up slightly. We were in my son's car. We stopped to look and found that someone had broken into the drivers side of my brand new 3 month old Infiniti. They stole everything that was left in the car and did $10,000 worth of damage. The hotel took no responsibility for their lot. They did not want me talking about it to them at their front desk and we were left to deal with an 8 hour drive back with no window and all of our stuff gone. Seriously, no security at all!! The police said that they had 12 break ins that night. It was said that they lock the gate into the parking lot each night at 10:00. They don't! Next night the gate was still open at midnight. I would suggest NOT staying there. The only thing I think was nice about the hotel was the lobby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank valentia m
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in Asheville for a getaway weekend, and chose the Renaissance for the downtown location and the fact that it is a more upscale hotel. We were not disappointed.

The outside is generic looking, but looks are deceiving. Although the lobby isn't isn't huge by any means, it was gorgeous. One sitting area had the feel of a home library (if your home is the Biltmore, that is.)

Our room was very nice. Not elaborate or overly decorated, but not plain either. The bed was SO comfortable. The room was spotless and the toiletries were Aveda - which is pretty nice, I thought.

The only downsides that we saw were (1) the parking. It was just weird. There was plenty of parking around back, so finding a spot was no problem. There was just something odd about it. Another reviewer had mentioned the 'greeter' you encountered in the road, and we still weren't clear what that was about. There is a new condo across the street, so maybe they have problems with the condo using their parking. Who knows. But it was a little strange.

And we didn't find a vending machine for a simple snack. Found drink machine, but not a snack vendor. It would have been handy to have been able to buy a pack of crackers for the late night munchies.

We did encounter a problem on the 2nd night. The 1st night we had some noisy neighbors, but not excessively. The 2nd night about 2:30 in the morning there was a lot of door slamming, stomping, yelling. We waited it out and didn't call down to the desk. It did stop and we went back to sleep. That, however, isn't the hotel's fault at all. Some people are just trashy and don't know how to respect other people or other property.

All in all, our next trip to Asheville will probably take us right back here. For location, amenities, and price, we were very satisfied.

Room Tip: the higher up, the better the view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaggieSue_52
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights while in Asheville for business. I chose the hotel for its convenient location downtown. While the overall look of the hotel is very nice and upscale, I was not at all impressed.
The parking situation is very inconvenient. Every time I drove into the parking lot, there was someone with a clipboard to check and make sure I was really a guest, looking up my name and I had to show them my room card. The parking lot is rather small and cramped, though there is a large lot in the back of the hotel, yet is kind of inconvenient.
In the rooms, at least 2 of the glass glasses in the bathroom were absolutely filthy on more than one day. I would have preferred individually wrapped plastic cups you find at less expensive hotels, at least I know those are clean. The floor was also not vacuumed regularly, as I found a few piles of very long, curly dark hair in the bathroom and in the room. I have very short, light hair, so I know it didn't come from me.
They provide packets of coffee in the room, however requests for Regular coffe - not decaf - were ignored.
There was a restaurant in the hotel, which was very, very expensive. Because of this, there was no complimentary breakfast. There was a refrigerator in the room, but no microwave.

Despite the convenient location, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank mmj4817
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at the Asheville Renaissance for a week during a work-related retreat. The hotel lobby area has been recently updated. Rooms were comfortable but not overly spacious. The double-bed room featured a fridge, which was a nice addition. Rooms were average. I thought the bed was very comfortable, perhaps one of the most comfortable I have tried in a hotel. Air conditioning was normal volume. Stay away from the rooms behind the elevators, as you can hear the clicking of the elevator. Staff was pleasant. Fitness room was above average, with Life Fitness ellipticals and nice treadmills. Hotel includes indoor pool and hottub.
Breakfast was average, with typical cereal, fruit, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, grits. I would have liked soy milk but it was not available. The omelet station was a nice touch. Skip the hotel breakfast and try the many options downtown. Most things are within a 12 minute walk. While there, ate at the Early Girl Eatery, Tupelo Honey, and Papas and Beer. All VERY good.

Room Tip: If you get placed next to the elevator, ask to be moved.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business