“Best location for visiting downtown Asheville”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in Asheville for a getaway weekend, and chose the Renaissance for the downtown location and the fact that it is a more upscale hotel. We were not disappointed.

The outside is generic looking, but looks are deceiving. Although the lobby isn't isn't huge by any means, it was gorgeous. One sitting area had the feel of a home library (if your home is the Biltmore, that is.)

Our room was very nice. Not elaborate or overly decorated, but not plain either. The bed was SO comfortable. The room was spotless and the toiletries were Aveda - which is pretty nice, I thought.

The only downsides that we saw were (1) the parking. It was just weird. There was plenty of parking around back, so finding a spot was no problem. There was just something odd about it. Another reviewer had mentioned the 'greeter' you encountered in the road, and we still weren't clear what that was about. There is a new condo across the street, so maybe they have problems with the condo using their parking. Who knows. But it was a little strange.

And we didn't find a vending machine for a simple snack. Found drink machine, but not a snack vendor. It would have been handy to have been able to buy a pack of crackers for the late night munchies.

We did encounter a problem on the 2nd night. The 1st night we had some noisy neighbors, but not excessively. The 2nd night about 2:30 in the morning there was a lot of door slamming, stomping, yelling. We waited it out and didn't call down to the desk. It did stop and we went back to sleep. That, however, isn't the hotel's fault at all. Some people are just trashy and don't know how to respect other people or other property.

All in all, our next trip to Asheville will probably take us right back here. For location, amenities, and price, we were very satisfied.

Room Tip: the higher up, the better the view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MaggieSue_52
Write a ReviewReviews (1,516)

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights while in Asheville for business. I chose the hotel for its convenient location downtown. While the overall look of the hotel is very nice and upscale, I was not at all impressed.
The parking situation is very inconvenient. Every time I drove into the parking lot, there was someone with a clipboard to check and make sure I was really a guest, looking up my name and I had to show them my room card. The parking lot is rather small and cramped, though there is a large lot in the back of the hotel, yet is kind of inconvenient.
In the rooms, at least 2 of the glass glasses in the bathroom were absolutely filthy on more than one day. I would have preferred individually wrapped plastic cups you find at less expensive hotels, at least I know those are clean. The floor was also not vacuumed regularly, as I found a few piles of very long, curly dark hair in the bathroom and in the room. I have very short, light hair, so I know it didn't come from me.
They provide packets of coffee in the room, however requests for Regular coffe - not decaf - were ignored.
There was a restaurant in the hotel, which was very, very expensive. Because of this, there was no complimentary breakfast. There was a refrigerator in the room, but no microwave.

Despite the convenient location, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mmj4817
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at the Asheville Renaissance for a week during a work-related retreat. The hotel lobby area has been recently updated. Rooms were comfortable but not overly spacious. The double-bed room featured a fridge, which was a nice addition. Rooms were average. I thought the bed was very comfortable, perhaps one of the most comfortable I have tried in a hotel. Air conditioning was normal volume. Stay away from the rooms behind the elevators, as you can hear the clicking of the elevator. Staff was pleasant. Fitness room was above average, with Life Fitness ellipticals and nice treadmills. Hotel includes indoor pool and hottub.
Breakfast was average, with typical cereal, fruit, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, grits. I would have liked soy milk but it was not available. The omelet station was a nice touch. Skip the hotel breakfast and try the many options downtown. Most things are within a 12 minute walk. While there, ate at the Early Girl Eatery, Tupelo Honey, and Papas and Beer. All VERY good.

Room Tip: If you get placed next to the elevator, ask to be moved.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank twoandchild
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Excellent location to all amenities and travels to other attractions. Enjoyed our stay with pleasant people and great services at hand. I have to say that everyone is right! This is a fantastic place to stay! great location.. Simply loved it all!...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here in May 2012. Our first experience was that there didn't seem to be anyone to help with the luggage. We ended up just lugging our stuff to the room over several trips. The room was very small, so we went back to the front desk to ask about a bigger room but were told that was the size to expect. The room was so small, a person sitting at the desk blocked movement otherwise, Seriously, there was only enough room for one luggage rack. The other suitcase went on the chair crammed in the corner. Bathroom - the door almost hit the toilet when you opened it.

All this for $200 a night for two nights. Since we were staying in Asheville several more nights, we quickly found other accommodations that were easily a better value. We definitely expected more when staying at the Renaissance.

The staff was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Liked the downtown location, as we walked all over downtown Asheville. The decor. Was recently updated, and quite attractive. The bathroom was small and very tight quarters. For a hotel of this quality, I guess I thought the club level should have offered more in the way of snacks, and it is only open during the week. The food in the restaurant was good for breakfast, and the staff was nice.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steelpanwoman
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I love the rooms and service at the Renaissance Asheville! The location makes it ideal for personal anx professional travelers. The lobby and bar areas and the restaurant have recently received a bright update. I will be back one noticeable missing detail is the concierge lounge and breakfast area. Having just stayed at the Marriott in South Park with a very special coffee bar; i was truly disappointed when upon arrival as a Gold member; stopped upstairs in the concierge level only to find coffee and powdered creamers; additionally the breakfast fruit wasn't presented nor the breakfast so i weng downstairs go the restaurant which was fine. So, why my complaint? This is a beautiful hotel and those extra touches are alwayz noticed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business