“No mirror outside bathroom”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Cincinnati
“No mirror outside bathroom”
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Initially I would have given this place 3 stars but then when I got out of the bathroom to get ready realized there was no mirror outside the bathroom mirror. This was a huge issue for us!! What really bothered me was that they had an elaborate business area but no mirror? My husband was very impressed by the work station mentioning how great it'd be for his business trips yet I was so annoyed. All I thought was this placed was geared toward businessmen and not businesswomen nor any women for that matter. When you have multiple people in a room you all can't blow dry your hair and get ready while others are showering.

If that isn't an issue for you then this place is very nice. Super clean, updated, great beds!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Christy E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Just recently stayed during Memorial day weekend and enjoyed our stay. Can walk to all the bars and restaurants. Staff was great, easy check in and check out. Room was clean, nice view of the mountains. Bathroom is a little small but hopefully you are not spending a lot of time in there! I did purchase the breakfast as part of the price of the hotel stay. I would say don't. It was bad but I think you can experience more of downtown if you don't. The first day the food was cold from the buffet, although the omlets were great. I just think you should wait until the morning to decide where you want to eat. I would stay again just wouldn't purchase the meal plan. If you are looking to spend a lot of time in the rooms, I would say this is not the place for you because they are a little small but otherwise they were just fine. I alittle pricey then I would have liked to spend but again, it was a Holiday weekend and we did enjoy ourselves.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here back in Marc. Two months later I get a charge on my card for "smoking in my room". I don't smoke. Another charge was posted for an erroneous restaurant charge. This place seems to love adding "extra" charges to your account, so BEWARE!

We used their restaurant one night, it was a little bit late, but there were 6 of us. When the server came & took our drink order, she said "i'l be back in a minute to take your order". 20 minutes later the drinks came. We all placed our orders, she left, came back 2 minutes later & proceeded to inform us that "we are changing our menues so we only have this, & that"...2 whole items that were on the menu were available!!!! No fore warning when she took the drink order, nothing. No apologies, just an added charge to my credit card for somethin I never ate.

The whole floor I was on smelled of smoke the entire time I was there, so I guess they just either pick a random room to charge or more than likely, charge everyone on the floor. Amazing!

The room was small, cramped & had hair on the sheets, which took housekeeping about 3 hours to change. The bathroom floor was sticky & my feet were black from the carpeting in the bedroom. This place is a full-out dump & these people are professional rip-off artists, so again; BEWARE!!!

Room Tip: Stay somehwere else.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank James D
RenAVL, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Hi James,
I value and appreciate your honest and constructive feedback. Your remarks have been shared with the Housekeeping Manager and Restaurant Manager to make certain that the incidents you described will not happen again. However, I would like the opportunity to speak with you concerning your experience at the Asheville Renaissance Hotel. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. My direct line is 828.210.3021.
Oregon
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Finally a hotel that figured out that guests don't want to spend an hour checking in. I handed my card to the nice gal at the desk, and in less than a minute I had my keys and was in the elevator. The remodel is nice, but the lobby chairs are there for looks, not for comfort. The rooms are nice, but you can't hide the size of the bathroom and the drain pipes are from a different era.

Room Tip: A corner room can be nice, south exposure in cooler weather is better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
RenAVL, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give our hotel a review. We truly value your feedback. I am glad to hear that your check-in was pleasurable. Our front desk associates take pride in anticipating each individual guest’s needs whether it is a speedy check-in or one where we are happy to make recommendations to local food and entertainment. We look forward to seeing you again at the Asheville Renaissance Hotel.

Safe Travels.
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I've stayed at this property since its beginning 30yrs ago as The Smokey Mountains Inn on the Plaza and think they have done a great job updating . The lobby bar has a completely new trendy vibe. My room on the 10th Flr facing south was nice and the bedding was great. Ask for an upper floor room and enjoy the view. Front desk was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mts2cWNC
Katy, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Checked in, wasn't even directed to the elevators, asked around. Door appeared to close but, when I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the extra light - it was not. Had to be slammed shut. But the best was at 9:30 in the morning, Housekeeping pounding on my door, checkout was at 11:00. told front desk, they were apologetic, is there anything we can do???? Yes, they sent me my revised bill with the $4 bottle of water that I had. A whopping $220 for the night. Not a deal!! Lots of hotels around Asheville, not a good area either.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Suzanne S
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Wasn't impressed with this hotel. The location was nice for walking around the city's downtown area, but the price wasn't very good for the quality. Management was less than professional and not very enthusiastic, the halls and rooms smelled of cigarette smoke, and the general facilities were not very impressive. The indoor pool looked pretty nice, but never had a chance to use it. The place ain't terrible, but it sure ain't wonderful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family